Official kentlyn thread

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
It's okay to ride now.
A lot of sand has moved, so it is not as fast as it was and will be, when that settles back down.
Six Bridges will be all but 100%. See Yeah Yeah above.
The Rock Trail & Bendi are clear but sand in some wrong places.
You guys really are legends. If i lived closer ( which I think I will do from August) I'd love to give you guys a hand building and maintaining the trail.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went out again yesterday afternoon and cleaned up the creek crossing as you come down off Darling Ave. Someone had tried to build a dam across the creek and used the stones that I had laid for their dam. So pissed as they blocked the water flow. Had to carry some large rocks down the hill which my old knees did not like. I was able to get most of the original rocks back in the right place. It will still need some work but at least the creek is now flowing and will drain off soon.

The descent off Bendi is really rough and I have placed some extra rocks to try and patch it up a bit. The small side creek that you cross after Bendi and before re-joining the main fire trail has washed out badly. I'll try to patch this up.

CBG.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Main Creek trail North of Peter meadows Road is now clear.

I walked the trail North of Six Bridges and cleared sticks etc. and built one rollover on a fallen tree.
This trail is great. I'll call it the 'Wallaby Track' until it gets a name.
I saw 6 wallabies while I was there. A small group and 2 others.

This is a great link up to the trail North from the Powerpole trail.

Top work CBG and Yeah Yeah

Jado

Likes Dirt
Main Creek trail North of Peter meadows Road is now clear.

I walked the trail North of Six Bridges and cleared sticks etc. and built one rollover on a fallen tree.
This trail is great. I'll call it the 'Wallaby Track' until it gets a name.
I saw 6 wallabies while I was there. A small group and 2 others.

This is a great link up to the trail North from the Powerpole trail.

Top work CBG and Yeah Yeah
Thanks Bob. It's called Ridgeback Rampage.....

Jado

Likes Dirt
Happy to say we have another new trail - first ride will happen tomorrow. It's had much work this week to complete as it creates an alternative to the valley trail which was hard hit by the storms, and is a busy two directional trail in any case.

The ridge trail, called A Ridge Too Far is a reclaimed trail, you guys will know it for sure. The first section was unridable, so its clear now and has a 4 foot drop or a b-line roll down. Then its connects to the ridge track which was in disarray, then crosses Waratah and ends up in the creek gully 200m before Peter Meadows. It's a rocky tech xc trail, with some mountain goat sections which will test your pedal power and line choices. There was a telegraph pole size tree blocking but with YeahYeah's help today we cleared it.

With Ridgeback Rampage on one side and A Ridge Too Far on the other side operating in opposite directions we have a descent loop which bypasses the valley trail and offers a good range of trail styles. I'm guessing with the Rock Trail it will be around 11km and virtually weatherproof track.

Track head is 200m past five ways at the gate at Waratah Rd.....

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Had a pedal around the rock trail this morning. Pretty sandy and loose in some of the corners but still a fun trail. It was packed there, being one of the best draining trails means big demand after rain I suppose.
I haven't ridden there in a couple of months....but was disappointed to see one of my favourite features dumbed down.
There is a B line already.... no need for the rock placement making the A line too easy...? boooo....

bgs

Likes Bikes
Had a pedal around the rock trail this morning. Pretty sandy and loose in some of the corners but still a fun trail. It was packed there, being one of the best draining trails means big demand after rain I suppose.
I haven't ridden there in a couple of months....but was disappointed to see one of my favourite features dumbed down.
There is a B line already.... no need for the rock placement making the A line too easy...? boooo....
A mate and I created this A-Line a while back. (It wasn't much effort, just cleared the lead in and the bottom of the roll down). Just toss the rock in the bushes somewhere.

Last edited:

Jado

Likes Dirt
I've always called that old track the Goat Track as it was always on the rough side. Good to see some one has cleaned it up as it has some good features and will make a good addition to the area.

CBG.
Cheers CBG, yeah it's old school right? Its raw and a challenge to ride and rewarding when you give it some - I think it will be the only way i head up the valley now

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Cheers CBG, yeah it's old school right? Its raw and a challenge to ride and rewarding when you give it some - I think it will be the only way i head up the valley now
Jado we rode the loop today off your Garmin (whatever) http://www.strava.com/activities/605336134

That is a top loop now. 16kms all up. The trail you have done up is an old one of mine that nobody could ride so it went into disuse. You have made it a great ride.
The bit early to link up from Waratah is a top loop.
There were 17 in our group and they all thought it was great.

Glad you got your bike back

Jado

Likes Dirt
Jado we rode the loop today off your Garmin (whatever) http://www.strava.com/activities/605336134

That is a top loop now. 16kms all up. The trail you have done up is an old one of mine that nobody could ride so it went into disuse. You have made it a great ride.
The bit early to link up from Waratah is a top loop.
There were 17 in our group and they all thought it was great.

Glad you got your bike back
Thanks MtBoer! Yeah the trail is getting lots of likes. Credit to you for cutting it in originally, happy i could bring it back to life and get some new wheels riding it....

Jado

Likes Dirt
Boronia Rd Traffic

So for the last many months there's been sometimes 30 to 40 cars on Boronia Rd on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Its peaks of course when Sydney has big wets.

There is alternative car park and track which is virtually unused which is no secret to locals but not used by those who travel to Kentlyn.

Hereford Pl, Minto Heights

https://goo.gl/maps/oNrmiCqB34T2

Parking at the reservoir reserve open area its a 1 minute ride to Hereford Rd trail head. Hereford Rd is not a good spot to park as there are dogs that bark, and those residents wouldn't want a dozen cars there.

I think we should promote this as the preferred track head carpark.

Now we have 6 bridges loop and good trails at that end of Kentlyn its a really good spot to start a ride. Drop in and immediately have fun on the Forest Flow Descent then roller coaster then into 6 Bridges loop, then up ridgeback rampage and pole to creek then up to rock trail and do five ways trails or back over a ridge too far.

Does anyone know any reasons why I should not start directing groups to the reservoir reserve? Like resident issues or any other reason. I think its a solid alternative and Kentlyn's only getting more popular year on year.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Thanks MtBoer! Yeah the trail is getting lots of likes. Credit to you for cutting it in originally, happy i could bring it back to life and get some new wheels riding it....
Just rode it again this time in 75 minutes. It's a great ride. Out of The Rock Trail it is just the right amount of rest on the firetrail to get back into the singletrail.
14k single and 2k firetrail is a good mix.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
I think people will park wherever they want. Not really worth worrying about.

It would be good if it was split up. As has been said, there is Waratah, Kentlyn Park car park next to the school and also the corner of Old Kent & Darling.
I just don't think it is worth putting it up. We have anyway here and lets hope some do, but some people will do what they want, no matter what.

Craig in the last house with the big fence is a real top bloke and Bill with the tennis courts is also a top bloke.
I've spoken to them about the cars and MTBs and they have said not a problem.

I did notice this morning though that someone had driven up onto the grass in front of Craigs place and chopped it up a bit.