Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

gwiny

Squid
I've been lurking on RB for a long time, with lots to read and not much to say. But, I was riding at OMV yesterday, and did my best superman impression at speed. I don't who they are, but if they lurk here, I wanted to thank the guys (and girl) who stayed for a few minutes to help me out. Especially Ramil (?). Have some awesome cuts and bruises to show for my troubles, but also a great feeling of support as a result of the guys willing to ensure someone who crashed was OK.

Thanks guys.

Ja-Mez

Likes Dirt
gwiny what time where you riding?

i was there for a few laps from midday!

hope you are on the mend! where did you come off?

gwiny

Squid
Hi Ja-Mez, was riding late in the today. Hope you had a great ride.

Realised that I was far too tired to be riding. All mended. Was back there today, and I can't believe I fell off where I did - off the boards in the first section of track off Quarry Road. The MTB equivalent of falling off the boardwalk whille taking grandma for a stroll.

Might see you up there some time.

Ja-Mez

Likes Dirt
has been fairly busy everytime ive gone.. nothing too bad!
saw a bloke on a dirt jumper (no rear brakes) superman OTB on those boards... hilarious! Hopefully my new SB66 gets an omv ride friday! need to bleed brakes and install new chain! express post rotors from the UK are meant to arrive tomorrow! 4 day weekend! YIEW!
If all goes to plan Friday 9am i'll be there! Lime yellow SB..

Hooch

Likes Bikes
Rode today

Went and checked it out today, sadly both my skillz and fitness weren't very high but still enjoyed it..even the slow fall on one corner lol.
gratz to the guys for a great track and I'll be coming up more often to enjoy the ride.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
had a quick 2 laps this arvo after work. adrian and jeff from synergy were there doing a bit of track work filling holes and also changing the exit of the first timber bridge after convict corner on the blue line. apparently some muppet had decided to mod the bridge with a log or something making the exit not really work anymore so a bunch of riders were crashing. the timber has been widened just after the dip and some of the kick taken out and also the trail after widened to give safer exit options. rides nice and it's still possible to jump off the end of it if you go fast and time it right.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time to give something back. There's a trail maintenance day this coming Saturday from 2pm until 6pm on the south side. More info available from SNORC.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do we need to bring anything like tools, etc?
The email I got said gloves, boots, sunscreen, water and if anyone had a barrow or trolley for carting rocks around that would be good too.
Just turn up at any time between 2 and 6pm, report to one of the Synergy guys (usually in bright jerseys and hard to miss) and help maintain these awesome trails.

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
The email I got said gloves, boots, sunscreen, water and if anyone had a barrow or trolley for carting rocks around that would be good too.
Just turn up at any time between 2 and 6pm, report to one of the Synergy guys (usually in bright jerseys and hard to miss) and help maintain these awesome trails.
Sweet, thanks. I may not be able to make this one due to family commitments, but it's in a timeslot that I normally have free so if not this month then next.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Facebook page says it's still on despite the rain. Might need a raincoat as well as the other stuff.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What an afternoon, even with the rain belting down for the first hour or so there was a good turn out. Some interesting changes on the south side,if I see any whinging from riders about them I say turn up and do some digging next time.I can really appreciate how much work the Synergy and SNORC guys have put in.

**EDIT**

Some pics of the improved/modified bits.

SplitRock.jpgRollover.jpgIMG-20130407-00859.jpgIMG-20130407-00861.jpgDrain.jpg

A few riders out this arvo, seemed to be holding up alright.

Last edited:

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
Sounds great and can't wait to try it out. I missed yesterday but will be there next month. Thanks for your efforts on a great trail.

crosser

Likes Dirt
A few riders out this arvo, seemed to be holding up alright.
Not to get on my high horse after hauling boulders through the rain yesterday but the trail is still closed and moving the TRAIL CLOSED sign doesn't magically open it.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not to get on my high horse after hauling boulders through the rain yesterday but the trail is still closed and moving the TRAIL CLOSED sign doesn't magically open it.
Didn't say I was riding, I walked down to take a look and I was a little surprised to see all the trail closed signs gone.

crosser

Likes Dirt
Didn't say I was riding, I walked down to take a look and I was a little surprised to see all the trail closed signs gone.
Sorry not to be clear, I didn't think you were riding and I know that the people in this forum know not to ride trails after rain and that the vast majority of MTBers respect the closures, but I was disappointed to see that the sign had been moved and that people had ridden the trail.

Again, the trails are solidly built to IMBA standards and will probably suffer minimal damage today but if people obey the trail closures then those of us who maintain the trails can spend the build days making the trails even sweeter rather than repairing the wounds caused by the tires of an inconsiderate minority. The result in the end will be a more sustainable trail for all of us to enjoy for many years to come.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry not to be clear, I didn't think you were riding and I know that the people in this forum know not to ride trails after rain and that the vast majority of MTBers respect the closures, but I was disappointed to see that the sign had been moved and that people had ridden the trail.

Again, the trails are solidly built to IMBA standards and will probably suffer minimal damage today but if people obey the trail closures then those of us who maintain the trails can spend the build days making the trails even sweeter rather than repairing the wounds caused by the tires of an inconsiderate minority. The result in the end will be a more sustainable trail for all of us to enjoy for many years to come.
Sorry, my mistake. I was just about to edit my post. To be honest I didn't expect to see anyone down there for quite a few days and like you after hauling barrows up that hill yesterday share your disappointment.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Sorry, my mistake. I was just about to edit my post. To be honest I didn't expect to see anyone down there for quite a few days and like you after hauling barrows up that hill yesterday share your disappointment.
this is really getting to me, i was in hornsby at the shops and just happened to see that you guys were talking about this. So i drove by on my way home. found a group of 5-6 riders (guys and Girls, one guy with gopro on board)at the fire road gate having just climbed out. plus a few 13-16 year old kids sitting there with bikes.
I drove down the road and saw the first closed sign and logs on the south side in place with no riders up there. Got to the Main Trail signboard to see the closed sign on a council corflute board. The Trail is Definitely CLOSED. The Barricades at the start of the Blue Trail downhill of the road had been pulled down and pushed to the side by persons unknown. but all other closed signs were in position.
The group i first saw had ridden down to cars near the crusher plant, so i got out, walked over and replaced the barricade. I then proceeded to explain to them about the closure due to the heavy rain earlier in the week, the work day yesterday in the pouring rain and all the people who barrowed and toiled to upkeep the trail. they said they were unaware it was closed. i asked if the barricade was down when they got there to which they replied yes. I then explained about the Twitter, facebook and council page. they said next time they would check before heading up. Then one of the guys started to tell me it's dry in there. I had just walked down to the first corner and it was slick with greasy clay/roadbase you could hardly walk on it. You could already see ruts forming before the first trail filter. who knows how many riders had been there today. i know it was sunny, but sun doesnt mean the ground is automatically dry. They seemed to take what i said on board though.
As we drove out another bunch of kids on DH bikes were riding down Dural St to quick to yell out to them to not go in.

IF YOU ARE THERE AND THE TRAIL IS CLOSED - PLEASE Tell any riders you see that it is closed and inform them of the facebook, twitter and council pages to check status in the future, if they argue the point.... take a pic of them and hand it to the council, they can argue the fine with them! We need this to get around and be nipped in the bud before it becomes the norm.

Last edited: