Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
who has been building the new sections of singletrack that are under construction? Was it Synergy or the trail crew?

Any idea when they are officially open to be ridden?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
who has been building the new sections of singletrack that are under construction? Was it Synergy or the trail crew?

Any idea when they are officially open to be ridden?
The section behind the TAFE and pool was cut in by Synergy and the volunteers, sort of a stop gap until the tender was awarded. We had to do it twice as the first one was a bit much, it will be an uphill not a sweet downhill run.
Hopefully the great rapport the volunteers and Synergy have will continue with the new guys.

jrewing

Eats Squid
We had to do it twice as the first one was a bit much, it will be an uphill not a sweet downhill run.
s.
The climb up near the pool is so much better ridden backwards. Looks like this too could be the same. If I'm the only one out there that's how I ride it

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Will be at OMV doing a few laps from 2:45pm today. I'll be on an orange hardtail.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Rode this for the first time yesterday, the hour & a bit trip there was well worth it. Has given me motivation to work on my trails

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The climb up near the pool is so much better ridden backwards. Looks like this too could be the same. If I'm the only one out there that's how I ride it
You must be the only one - you're special! :p

Can't wait for Stage 2 to be done. I'm a big fan of Stage 1 even though it's relatively short!

ChopSticks

Banned
whats the latest Re: OMV ??

there was an article on Telegraph saying stage 2 would commence in Jan and take 2 months to complete (LOL 2 months ?!?!?! is that a joke?)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...built-in-january/story-fngr8i1f-1226756035097

Rode the trail for the first time in a while and it seemed to be in urgent need of repair!
are the synergy guys still caring for stage 1? or have they given the middle finger since losing the tender for stage 2??

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Rode the trail for the first time in a while and it seemed to be in urgent need of repair!
are the synergy guys still caring for stage 1? or have they given the middle finger since losing the tender for stage 2??
Is it just a matter of erosion? With the so so weather over the past 2weeks I was wondering if they had many people riding them while they where wet like they did to the homebush 4x track(which screwed it).

When we had all that rain last week I went to check the twitter feed on the trail status yeah last updated November 25th last year, I just decided to not risk it & stayed out on my local trails.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
whats the latest Re: OMV ??

there was an article on Telegraph saying stage 2 would commence in Jan and take 2 months to complete (LOL 2 months ?!?!?! is that a joke?)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...built-in-january/story-fngr8i1f-1226756035097

There was a maintenance day yesterday (extremely short notice so I wasn't there) for the first time in months.

Apparently there will be a meet and greet over the next two weeks with the guys from Dirt Art in consultation for stage 2.

If you really want to know what's going on just subscribe the the SNORC newsletter.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trail maintenance this Saturday from 2pm, meet at the trailhead sign.

The link from the existing trails to stage 2 needs cutting in. As usual bring sturdy shoes, tools, water and a hat.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Today's build day has been CANCELLED due to wet weather.

At this stage it has been re-scheduled to next weekend, Saturday the 8th, at 2pm.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Beautiful day for some digging, get off the computer and come out and help maintain these great trails.

Meet at the trailhead sign at 2pm.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I had my first ride today. I found this thread last week, and since then I've watched a half dozen YouTube clips of the blue run. Fully trained!

I dropped straight in and was surprised that I knew what was around the next corner as I rolled. That's all well and good, but you need a pretty tight line in there. It was a much higher standard than I expected, and the speed and degree of difficulty was, um, interesting. Never ridden boardwalks before. Seen a few on YouTube. I ate shit. About half way down, too fast, wrong line, straight off the side of a boardwalk. My new helmet got a workout. We survived. Bike, helmet, passenger. Sprained thumb, maybe. Didn't stop me nailing the next three laps though.
*Note: Your version and my version of 'nailing' may vary. Probably dramatically.

Overall, I was very impressed. I really like the look of the new section of building that's going on down the bottom. That looks like the makings of a nice, fast flowy jumpy thingy. I really enjoyed the uphill section of the blue track. I rode up the fire road on the first lap. That sucked bags.
No traction.

Also, there was a group there today on motorised (2stroke) MTBs and Scooters. Is that allowed? Anyone? It was crap to have to listen to.

I'll be looking out on here for heads ups on building days. I'm keen to help whenever I can. I don't F$$$Book, or twit, or twat, or whatever the cool kids are doing these days. So, if I hear about it here I'll be there. Soon.

Do you want people to bring tools with them?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, there was a group there today on motorised (2stroke) MTBs and Scooters. Is that allowed? Anyone? It was crap to have to listen to.

Do you want people to bring tools with them?
First Saturday of each month from 2pm is the scheduled dig day. According to council over 100 different people have participated in the maintenance days.

Here's a few tiny pics from last Saturday with another 150m added almost ready to ride.

pic01243.jpgpic03546.jpgpic18576.jpgpic29538.jpgpic30671.jpg

If you hear the 2 stroke machines again the best tool you can bring is a shotgun.

With the amount of work that has been put in by so many people for so long on getting these trails legal and then built muppets like that really piss me off.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I hear ya.
I actually spoke to them. I didn't know the lay of the land, being my first visit, so I kept my thoughts to myself. There were 4 or 5 of them and they weren't kids.. They were doing laps of the beginner track and one was in the bush down below where the fresh earthworks are. I don't have a shotgun, but I can bring hammers.

So, tools? BYO? Mattock, shovel and rake, I assume.

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear ya.
I actually spoke to them. I didn't know the lay of the land, being my first visit, so I kept my thoughts to myself. There were 4 or 5 of them and they weren't kids.. They were doing laps of the beginner track and one was in the bush down below where the fresh earthworks are. I don't have a shotgun, but I can bring hammers.

So, tools? BYO? Mattock, shovel and rake, I assume.
Most of the stuff you need is provided but if you have something you're more than welcome to bring it along, just chuck a label or your name on it.

If we aren't at the trailhead sign then we meet at the shipping container down off the fire trail.

The new trails being cut in through the privot are pretty damn sweet but the climbs are going to hurt.

crosser

Likes Dirt
Absent the Texas Rangers, call the Council Rangers

I ran into Anthony from Hornsby Council this morning at OMV and mentioned that motorcyclists had been on the trails. He said the best thing to do is to call Council's rangers on 9847 6666. During business hours this will go through to the general switchboard, after hours it diverts directly to the rangers.

Given the difficulty of physically preventing motorbikes from entering the trails, the best way to stop them would be for the powers that be to catch one or a few of them in the act so that word gets around that such vandalism won't be tolerated.