Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

Shtark

Squid
If the motorised bikes are definitely illegal on the trails (I hope they are) then it would be handy if it was clearly signposted.

Re what to say to this guy, if nothing else, I would have mentioned that he was going in the wrong direction in a number of spots and was riding closed trails that are being delayed by people riding them. Not all of the entrances are completely blocked but it's pretty hard to miss the construction signage and tape, even if it's on the ground, and lots of the places that mention OMV online (presumably how he knows about it) mention Stage 2 and fact that it's still closed.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
If the motorised bikes are definitely illegal on the trails (I hope they are) then it would be handy if it was clearly signposted.
There is a clear " no motor bikes" sign on the main board at the trail head, but seeing how these guys were going the wrong way in sections I'm not surprised if it wasn't comprehended.

Sent by courier pigeon

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I agree that "No motorbikes" is pretty clear, but I can see people rationalising that a motorised pushbike is not a motorbike. That's why I attaempted to clear the matter up with the council ranger.

I still have no idea what is legal or illegal as they apparently can't be bothered to explain it.

That leads to a suspicion that motorised pushys fall into the 'too hard' basket.

crosser

Likes Dirt
I agree that "No motorbikes" is pretty clear, but I can see people rationalising that a motorised pushbike is not a motorbike. That's why I attaempted to clear the matter up with the council ranger.

I still have no idea what is legal or illegal as they apparently can't be bothered to explain it.

That leads to a suspicion that motorised pushys fall into the 'too hard' basket.
I spoke to Anthony Newling from Council the last time this happened and just to clear up any ambiguity: riding any motorised vehicle is illegal at OMV. Alex did well to talk to them, but it would also be good to try calling the council rangers (I know...) and to let Anthony know what happened on anewling (at) hornsby.nsw.gov.au. He is very responsive and I'm sure would be keen to nip this behaviour in the bud.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
If you look at the RMS website, it clearly shows that these bikes are illegal to use on the road or public places such as parks, because they have motors with >200 watt power and they are independently controlled from the rider pedalling. A pedalec bike with max 250 W average power would be allowed under the law and I wouldn't really object to them riding on the trails either.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
If you look at the RMS website, it clearly shows that these bikes are illegal to use on the road or public places such as parks, because they have motors with >200 watt power and they are independently controlled from the rider pedalling. A pedalec bike with max 250 W average power would be allowed under the law and I wouldn't really object to them riding on the trails either.
Yeah maybe under the law but not if the local council says otherwise.

Sent by courier pigeon

FigBo0T

I spoke to Anthony Newling from Council the last time this happened and just to clear up any ambiguity: riding any motorised vehicle is illegal at OMV. Alex did well to talk to them, but it would also be good to try calling the council rangers (I know...) and to let Anthony know what happened on anewling (at) hornsby.nsw.gov.au. He is very responsive and I'm sure would be keen to nip this behaviour in the bud.
Thanks for that mate.

I don't see much point in following up on my original query, being 6 weeks or so ago. If I come across them again (petrol engined mtb) I won't hold back on my opinion. I might even explain that it's illegal.

But after 2 phone calls and leaving a voicemail message with my contact details, only to be ignored, I'll be reluctant to bother contacting the rangers again ....

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Thanks for that mate.

I don't see much point in following up on my original query, being 6 weeks or so ago. If I come across them again (petrol engined mtb) I won't hold back on my opinion. I might even explain that it's illegal.

But after 2 phone calls and leaving a voicemail message with my contact details, only to be ignored, I'll be reluctant to bother contacting the rangers again ....
At least post the details here. That way we can monitor how often this kind of malarkey is going on.

One offs fair enough if people don't know but repeated use by these kind of motorized bikes on the trail by people with no obvious trail etiquette is only gonna be worse for us all in the long run. If the local neighbors to the trail think this is what the trail network is for it won't take long for them to get offside.

FigBo0T

Thanks mate. It's a shame the council can't be clear about this with their signage. It's really quite simple.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/unregisteredvehicles/scootersminibikes.html

They explain it in pretty clear language too.

Note: It is virtually impossible for a bicycle fitted with an internal combustion motor to meet this requirement because an internal combustion motor limited to 200 watts is not capable of producing enough torque to propel the bicycle. For example, the cylinder of a petrol motor specifically designed to produce no more than 200 watts (equal to 0.268 horsepower) will have a capacity of about four or five cubic centimetres, the size of a standard medical syringe.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Oh also, I found someone's axle on the road at Hornsby today. If you lost your axle, PM me what kind it is and I'll try to get it to ya.

It looks like someone was loading their car and forgot to put the axle back in the fork before driving off.

FigBo0T

At least post the details here. That way we can monitor how often this kind of malarkey is going on.

One offs fair enough if people don't know but repeated use by these kind of motorized bikes on the trail by people with no obvious trail etiquette is only gonna be worse for us all in the long run. If the local neighbors to the trail think this is what the trail network is for it won't take long for them to get offside.
No worries.
I promise that I'll report the wankers in this thread. Although if things get ugly, I may have to report it as 'my friend told me'. :mod:

I'm not too concerned about the electric bikes, but I haven't come across any yet. It's a bit hard to say an electric bike is over/under the 250 watt limit though.
The noise produced by the petrol bikes is bloody offensive and I wouldn't blame the locals for kicking up a stink about it. It ruins the whole experience just being able to hear the dickheads.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Although if things get ugly, I may have to report it as 'my friend told me'. :mod:
haha yeah my mates mum spoke to her dentist and he said....

I don't have anything against them either as I've yet to see what damage the proper ones can do to the trails. but I've seen firsthand what moto's can do and you can bet if some electric bikes are allowed in then the full electric moto guys will try it on too.

i reckon if old mate's kids need an electric bike to pedal around on then they might need to get out a bit more!

ill call you about that bike next week ;)

FigBo0T

i reckon if old mate's kids need an electric bike to pedal around on then they might need to get out a bit more!
Agreed. If they were handicapped maybe. .... otherwise it defeats the purpose of riding.

ill call you about that bike next week ;)
No worries. You'll need to do some work on the brakes before you ride it at OMV.

Plenty of room in that frame for a motor :behindsofa:

crosser

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that mate.

It's too bad the council rangers were unresponsive, but if you contact Anthony Newling, who is very helpful and approachable, he can perhaps word them up that this is happening, and if there is a particular time they are showing up on these "bikes" they could keep an eye out.

Mountain bike trails are for pedal powered bicycles. There is no ambiguity here: petrol, electric or fusion powered, motorised vehicles are not allowed on the trails. Many of us spent a lot of time writing emails to council and digging in the dirt to build what we have at OMV and if this becomes a trend it could damage both the trails and our relationship with the neighbours.

I think a clear statement on the main trailhead sign that motorised use is prohibited would be good as well. If a new sign is to be installed for the opening of stage 2 perhaps this could be added.

will2

Likes Dirt
Good news Gentlemen.
On SNORC's facetube, they released a statement saying they will be sending a team out during this week, to give the "final once over before opening". I walked the track for the first time on Friday, from what I saw it was packed down enough but few bits and pieces of damage had occurred with the impatient riders riding before official opening, and didn't completely look finished, rubble and mounds here and there. Maybe unformed jumps?
Not long now people, brace yourselves for some serious air time.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Serious airtime? Where? I see take off ramps that lead into next up ramp. Not sure what the builders are aiming for out there. Would be nice if you could gap them.

will2

Likes Dirt
Cumulative airtime. Before the two big Moto berms there is a nice little jump that you have to clear about a metre of rocks you'll see it. Then after the two berms a line of about 4 table tops.

Okay maybe serious air time was the wrong word. Can a man be excited?