Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just as well there's a trail maintenance day tomorrow from 2pm, meet at the sign but try and get there a little earlier.

Grab a shovel and help out, it's always a good afternoon.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Still have not been out there since the new section has been completed. Is it officially open yet?
Yeah, there is just one section that remains closed as you come out of the stage 2 blue where it comes close to the green return. It's the spot that most of the ground water seeps out of. They have done a lot of armouring on that section which looks good but needs time to settle. The back blue loop descent is running really well and fast, with some new pumps sections and tweaks to lines.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry guys, can't make it today.

IT'S A BOY! My son was born this morning at 11:30. Won't get out of hospital in time I'm afraid.

Next month for sure.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Trying this place tomorrow. I heard there's a pump track nearby but can't find anything. Anyone able to help me find it?

T.3

Likes Dirt
The closest is Montview Oval off kookaburra Rd Hornsby Heights or Golden Jubilee off Esk st Wahroongah condition of both maybe suspect though.

Montview has a beginner and intermediate jump line but the last time I went there (over 2yrs ago) the pump track wasn't great. May have changed though.

Golden jubilee has a "flow trail" skills section and pump track.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hornsby Council really needs to update their Twitter feed - it's horribly out of date!

Edit: Last update is 16-Aug "Hornsby Mountain Bike Trail is closed due to wet conditions and is unlikely to reopen for several days."

It could also be better worded - maybe "Trail is closed until further notice" as opposed to several days.

Last edited:

mtboer

Likes Dirt
The Rock Trail @ Kentlyn is always open. Might be a bit of a drive for you guys.
Rain doesn't affect it and it is okay to ride when wet.
It's only 6.8km but all singletrack.
I'd go crazy if I couldn't ride. Good Luck

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Hornsby Council really needs to update their Twitter feed - it's horribly out of date!

Edit: Last update is 16-Aug "Hornsby Mountain Bike Trail is closed due to wet conditions and is unlikely to reopen for several days."

It could also be better worded - maybe "Trail is closed until further notice" as opposed to several days.
It's rained 8/10 days since then.

But yes they need to have better wording. The twitter feed should have a bit more info. They have used trail closed until further notice before but the wording seems to change depending on the update.

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
SNORC on Facebook posted that 'trails were closed until further notice' on Sunday but a little late as well for those wanting to go for a ride on Saturday. I know it was raining on Friday/Saturday but an update on Friday night/Saturday morning would have been good to help people decide if its worth heading out that way.

Dan.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Although the twitter feed says the track is open, it is not. No idea how hard it is to update the twitter feed, but it must be very hard.

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk

darkhorsefkn

Likes Bikes
Although the twitter feed says the track is open, it is not. No idea how hard it is to update the twitter feed, but it must be very hard.

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk
What's the bet the person in charge of updating the twitter doesn't realise they can do it from their phone.

If they have time to stick signs in the ground they have time to tweet the fact.

People travel from far and wide to OMV, if the twitter tells them its open, then they turn up and see trail closed signs, some of those people are going to ignore those signs, and the others are going to have wasted their time because someone cant write one goddamn sentence on twitter.

Everyone loses because some fool cant install twitter.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went a rode a few laps with a friend this morning - track was open apart from the new bottom loop accessed off the left of the fire trail which had a construction barrier across it!

All riders were avoiding the closed area except one individual who thought it was ok to still ride it - he was riding a Giant Glory with white forks with a big yellow 'Leatt' sticker on the forks and wearing a black fox full face!

Despite being confronted by several riders pointing out the track was closed this individual still had the nerve to return lip service and say "I don't have a problem riding a closed track!" Good on you mate - if you read this I hope you're embarrassed and you'll be the first person to arrive at the next build day, if you know this person tell them to pull their head in and attend the build day to fix any damage that was done to the closed track!

Cheers,

Richie

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Went a rode a few laps with a friend this morning - track was open apart from the new bottom loop accessed off the left of the fire trail which had a construction barrier across it!

All riders were avoiding the closed area except one individual who thought it was ok to still ride it - he was riding a Giant Glory with white forks with a big yellow 'Leatt' sticker on the forks and wearing a black fox full face!

Despite being confronted by several riders pointing out the track was closed this individual still had the nerve to return lip service and say "I don't have a problem riding a closed track!" Good on you mate - if you read this I hope you're embarrassed and you'll be the first person to arrive at the next build day, if you know this person tell them to pull their head in and attend the build day to fix any damage that was done to the closed track!

Cheers,

Richie
Not sure what parts of the trail need a DH bike, full face & neck brace, guy is obviously concerned enough to take care of himself but not the trail.....Take photos next time!

Last edited:

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'd call the council/ranger in a case like that, the guy obviously wants to break the rules and doesn't give a shit, so we just need to tell him he's not welcome with a nice fine (hopefully). He won't be embarrassed nor show up for the build day.