Oh god, pedals are stuck.

NSR

Likes Dirt
Yep. Went to put my Profile cranks on my hardtail after a good two months of non use, and the Odyssey pedals that were on them are very stuck. I managed to get one off this morning, but the other one is still stuck, and I'm feeling flex in the pedal spanner when I use a pole as extra leverage. Does anyone have any ideas how to get the damn pedal off?

NSR

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'm turning it the right way. I did try WD40 when I first got them out, and that didn't really work.

beno

Cycle Solutions
heat will help, bit of gentle warming with an oxy will expand the metal at different rates and should allow you to get the pedal out. as said above, left hand pedal, left hand thread!

Also you can get this stuff from wurth that is a combination of wd40 and a freeze spray, that could work too.

T-Rex

Template denier
Steel BMX crank, right?

Try the following:

1. Freeze and Release, you can get it from fastner and bearing shops. It's like WD40, only heaps better.

2. Gentle application of heat to the crank eg with a paint stripping gun, but at a safe distance so you don't strip the paint.

NSR

Likes Dirt
heat will help, bit of gentle warming with an oxy will expand the metal at different rates and should allow you to get the pedal out.
Wouldn't the heat mess around with the strength of the cromo?

NSR

Likes Dirt
Gentle application of heat to the crank eg with a paint stripping gun, but at a safe distance so you don't strip the paint.
I don't really care about the paint. I'll end up rawing them anyway.

T-Rex

Template denier
I don't really care about the paint. I'll end up rawing them anyway.
OK, then go hard with a paint stripper, but if you are using an oxy go easy. Basically, you don't want the steel to change colour from the heating.

0psi

Eats Squid
Hhhmmm, oxy torches and heat guns, best left for those that really know what they're doing. Might I suggest the following recipe.

1. Boil the kettle
2. Make Cuppa soup, this will give you the strength needed to remove pedal
3. Pour remaining water from kettle over pedal and crank
4. Remove pedal
5. Have frosty adult beverage in celebration of your triumph

NSR

Likes Dirt
Hhhmmm, oxy torches and heat guns, best left for those that really know what they're doing. Might I suggest the following recipe.

1. Boil the kettle
2. Make Cuppa soup, this will give you the strength needed to remove pedal
3. Pour remaining water from kettle over pedal and crank
4. Remove pedal
5. Have frosty adult beverage in celebration of your triumph
That sounds like a safer idea. If that doesn't work, I'll get the heat gun out and do it on low. I'll see what happens.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Yeah, I'm turning it the right way. I did try WD40 when I first got them out, and that didn't really work.
Just checking but you do know the left hand pedal has a left hand thread yeah?

NSR

Likes Dirt
Well, have you got it off yet?

I want to know which technique worked. The suspense is killing me.
The boiling water technique? I was sorta writing guitar parts down, but now that I've finished I'll go boil the kettle and try that.

T-Rex

Template denier
The boiling water technique? I was sorta writing guitar parts down, but now that I've finished I'll go boil the kettle and try that.
This thread just reminded me of an impresive injury I sustained a few years ago, removing a pedal. I was leaning on the pedal spanner really hard, with all my weight over it, and the pedal very suddenly came loose. That caused me to face plant into the saddle, leading with my mouth. Drove my teeth through my bottom lip, blood everywhere, had to get the inside of my mouth glued with that superglue stuff at the doctor to stop the bleeding.

So be careful removing pedals.....

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Have the crank horizontal. Put the pedal axe on the pedal and pipe on pedal axe. now hop on the bike, hold the pipe to stop it spinning and pedal forward

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Oxy time..........Remember it will be damn hot so wear a pair of gloves.;) Let it cool down in natural air, don't hit it with cold water.