Old air-shocks, how to lockout?

Hey Guys,
Not sure where to put this silly question. I have a 10yr old Cannondale XC (Super-V) bike which I am converting to a commuter / touring bike.

The front shock, is one of those single air-shock types. In the last 4 years I had it fixed twice now, each time $300 a pop and each time sometime after it leaks.

I am sick of it and I want to lock it out forever. Atm it has no air and the chamber does not hold preassure, so the bike is un-ridable.

I was thinking of pumping into the chamber something like one of those cans of tyre sealants you can get for your car tyres, I just want it to completely sieze up...

Is this a good idea, or a dumb idea. I just want to get this bike going again!

Thanks for reading!

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you're stuffed.
IIRC, it's a Headshok, and I'm not sure sealing it will work.
They were pretty high pressure and they didn't include a lockout back then.
Your best bet is to see if you can replace the whole setup with a non-suspension fork.
I seem to recall there were longer rigid forks around for non-Headshok 'Dales.
Will probably be hard to find, though!

EDIT: have a dig on here:
http://www.vintagecannondale.com/cannondale/headshok/headshok.html

Last edited:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
yeah, wouldn't go down that path.... may cost you more than you expect..

Guessing its got a Headshok on it, the old elastomer ones..... if its working now, ride it till it breaks then get yourself a cane creek adapter and run some rigid forks...

s

Thanks Guys. Will avoid doing it then.

Yes, it has the single headshock on it. I think I might contact Cane Creek and see if they have an adapter.

Would anyone local have something similar by any chance?

:rolleyes:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am sick of it and I want to lock it out forever. Atm it has no air and the chamber does not hold preassure, so the bike is un-ridable.
Take the valve core out and fill the air chamber with a lot of heavy oil. Refit the valve core and put whatever air you can it there and it shouldn't move for a long time.