Only in America MTBR thread

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I dunno. In a country where you might come across bears and wolves and crazy cyclists with guns, Bowie knives and torches, I might consider taking a weapon with me.

Luckily we live in a country where crazy cyclists have limited access to guns, most of the critters that'll kill you are too small to shoot, and those that will maul you like drop bears and bunyips prefer to feast on foreigners. :p

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I dunno. In a country where you might come across bears and wolves and crazy cyclists with guns, Bowie knives and torches, I might consider taking a weapon with me.

Luckily we live in a country where crazy cyclists have limited access to guns, most of the critters that'll kill you are too small to shoot, and those that will maul you like drop bears and bunyips prefer to feast on foreigners. :p
I'll add:
- roos that like to dart out on your line
- crocs along watery areas (you can fend them off with a loud clap of a thong I hear
- snakes, and they don't rattle to let you know they are there!
- The grand-daddy - magpies. Straya where even the birds try to kill you.

cammas

Seamstress
Having a chat with a new guy at work the other day and the topic of riding came up, he said he used to mtb back in Brazil but it could be dangerous. He said you would be riding down the trails and someone would step out of the bushes with either a gun or a knife and take anything you had including your bike.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Having a chat with a new guy at work the other day and the topic of riding came up, he said he used to mtb back in Brazil but it could be dangerous. He said you would be riding down the trails and someone would step out of the bushes with either a gun or a knife and take anything you had including your bike.
Bloody hell, that'd put you off riding a bike altogether.
I did have a laugh about the MTBR thread. I can't help but think the need to carry a gun can only be to get the upper hand on someone and to do it really fast. If you can't have the gun in a holster on your person so you can whip it out quickly then whats the fucking point of carrying it at all? What a wanker.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
this was pretty common in South Africa too, threat of mugging and bike-jacking meant a lot of guys carry concealed weapons when MTB.

I'm not for it - I'd just hand over my bike and phone and walk away, like this guy did when it happened (actually very close to where I lived) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECs8ZrmH8D8

Glad to be back in Aus haha

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That pops up every now and then on MTBR.

"I've gone to all this trouble to make my bike light - then I realised I was carrying a 4lb Glock 9mm, what does everyone else carry riding?"

They always get shut down. Funniest one I thought was when they were using the threat of Mountain Lion attacks as justification when someone pointed out you were about 100 times more likely to die from a lightning strike so it made more sense to ride with a big lightning rod sticking up.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
crazy wacky country. good friend is an ER nurse in Maine and she carries a concealed snub nose .38 in her handbag. I don't get it and never will.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
crazy wacky country. good friend is an ER nurse in Maine and she carries a concealed snub nose .38 in her handbag. I don't get it and never will.
Friend of mine worked in ER in Boston and when he told me they had 17 gunshot wounds for the year I couldn't believe it. Turned out that was 17 people actually shot IN the ER...

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Friend of mine worked in ER in Boston and when he told me they had 17 gunshot wounds for the year I couldn't believe it. Turned out that was 17 people actually shot IN the ER...
What hope have we got... the world is gun crazy

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The US certainly is crazy for weapons of war. On the fucked up scale I give them 3 stars, two stars more than what I'd say is a fixable situation.
And as far as problems go, America certainly has their share but there's worse ones out there. Take IS for instance, their propaganda dept recently did a telegram product launch for an app and workbook for radicalising kids! Add that to the list of things you didn't expect to see today.

Attachments

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How on earth did apple/play store authorise that one?!?

I always thought IS were bad at propaganda, but that is actually quite polished!

stirk

Burner
How on earth did apple/play store authorise that one?!?

I always thought IS were bad at propaganda, but that is actually quite polished!
There are 'stores' and ways to load apps outside of Apple and Google's official channels.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are 'stores' and ways to load apps outside of Apple and Google's official channels.
For example, you can't download the sportsbet app from the play store. You have to go to the sportsbet site and get it from there.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
One would hope Apple is across things enough to spot Daesh using the Apple Developer Enterprise Program Apps platform to push their propaganda and block them?

Btw, my usage of the word Daesh has probably resulted in 10kWh of energy consumption at Pine Gap tonight while the server farm analyses this conversation.

:)