Only in America MTBR thread

safreek

guns, cars, dogs, cats, knife, water, drop bears, blah blah. Guns by themselves do not kill people, in fact in my whole life I have never seen a gun/firearm pick itself up, load itself and then kill someone without human intervention or help. I may be wrong but just my 40+ years of firearms use I have never seen it happen

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
guns, cars, dogs, cats, knife, water, drop bears, blah blah. Guns by themselves do not kill people, in fact in my whole life I have never seen a gun/firearm pick itself up, load itself and then kill someone without human intervention or help. I may be wrong but just my 40+ years of firearms use I have never seen it happen
So your point is?

safreek

So your point is?
pretty obvious I recon, the quote before that stated guns kill, many things can kill but inanimate objects don't without assistance. but for some reason guns get all the bad raps. not gunna resort to the gun deaths versus antthing else. 30 years ago my daughter was killed in a car crash, you know what, the car didn't kill her, it was the drunken slut girlfriend/ mother who was responsible, she killed my little girl. I hold no car responsible.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I'm really sorry about your daughter... that's terrible.

I know, I’ll never convince you to change you’re viewpoint about guns, and that’s OK.

For your information, I grew up on a farm and I’ve been shooting for over 50 years… trust me, I know my guns.

However the Hoddle St, Queen St and Port Arthur shooting sprees convinced me to give up my beloved toys that go bang. It was a tough call… I particularly loved my bi-metal barrel tack shooting Fieldman 22 Magnum.

You are right, guns by themselves do not kill people… but because they exist... people do pick them up, load them, point them and pull the trigger… and who’d of thought, that’s when GUNS KILL PEOPLE.

I know that cars, dogs, cats, knifes, water, drop bears, blah blah kill people… but none of them are designed for that task at hand.

Guns are solely designed to kill things… and if people didn’t pick them up, load them, point them and pull the trigger… then it would all be OK… but alas, that is not so.

Guns definitely kill people.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
pretty obvious I recon, the quote before that stated guns kill, many things can kill but inanimate objects don't without assistance. but for some reason guns get all the bad raps. not gunna resort to the gun deaths versus antthing else. 30 years ago my daughter was killed in a car crash, you know what, the car didn't kill her, it was the drunken slut girlfriend/ mother who was responsible, she killed my little girl. I hold no car responsible.
It's not the guns getting the bad raps, it's the ease of availability. I'm sorry for your loss but the whole "guns don't kill people" argument is spurious.

Make guns available and folk will be killed. Just as it is with tobacco, alcohol, illicit drugs etc, etc.

stirk

Burner
dead right, have to agree with that
I do think your logic is dead wrong. Yes a gun is an object and can't kill on its own, blah blah blah, but it gives people confidence and braveness and ability to do what they might not ordinarily be able to do with bare hands or a knife, rock etc, blah blah blah, guns are effective. Fuck me, with a gun a 5 year old can kill a special forces troop, fists or knife maybe not.

Guns can create a scenario in which they are the instrument of killing, therby guns kill.

Sorry to hear about your daughter, cars can kill too.

There is intent and enablement (guns) and there is blatant disregard for safety or accidents (cars) which separate the two as instruments of death. There is no comparison, unless you bring up people using vehicles to kill and yeah there is some of that but its rare.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Your right, that's why the army uses cars, dogs, cats, knife, water, drop bears, blah blah

[video=youtube_share;0rR9IaXH1M0]https://youtu.be/0rR9IaXH1M0[/video]

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Only in the US

Irresponsible gun owners, you just can't give a gun to anybody.

“Stop f***ing shooting” mountain bikers in Washington take fire on the trails."

[video=youtube_share;wqZlqknCilk]https://youtu.be/wqZlqknCilk[/video]

Beej1

“Stop f***ing shooting” mountain bikers in Washington take fire on the trails."
I have no proof, but I swear one day I heard a sound similar to one of those whizzing overhead bullets out at the You Yangs. If it wasn't a stray bullet, it was a really fkn fast moving bird.

Surely, one day, they'll make it harder to obtain guns in the US. I doubt they'll ever 'ban' them like they did here. They'll put in place laws to make it legal to marry your own gun before they make laws to take them away.

poita

Likes Dirt
I have no proof, but I swear one day I heard a sound similar to one of those whizzing overhead bullets out at the You Yangs. If it wasn't a stray bullet, it was a really fkn fast moving bird.

Surely, one day, they'll make it harder to obtain guns in the US. I doubt they'll ever 'ban' them like they did here. They'll put in place laws to make it legal to marry your own gun before they make laws to take them away.
There is a rifle range right behind the youies, you can hear them shooting most weekends. They shoot away from the youies though so something went a bit wrong if you heard a ricochet going over the mtb trails.....

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Eagle park range does direct rifle fire into the base of mountain - the long roof is the firing line in the google map below.
It's been many years since I was there and it's only a 500 yard range (not 1000 yards), so it's possible that hot 30 calibre rounds would be capable of angling up and reaching out above the hill towards the quarry with a fair amount of energy remaining. But they have range safety officers during all open hours, such an angled shot into the sky would be clearly obvious and you'd be stopped (and likely banned) pretty quick if you did it.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.911345,144.4503807,961a,20y,271.59h,44.75t/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e4

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Similar (but different) noises can be heard from rocks, marbles, jaffas and other projectiles launched with a lot of momentum, such as from a sling shot or glove gun. I've been hit or near missed by a good range of improvised weapons over the years. My favourites include a mandarin from an "orange gun" where the fools forgot to freeze their mandarin. Also a mandarin is a useless projectile as they break up too easily.

Beej1

Eagle park range does direct rifle fire into the base of mountain - the long roof is the firing line in the google map below....
I did a bit of google earth investigating when I got home that day (it was 5+ years ago) and thought that yes - if someone accidentally pulled up and to the left of the mountain that it looks like they fire towards, a bullet could possibly head roughly toward where I was standing when I heard it (which was about 50m from the Drysdale carpark). But I have no idea of ballistics, or if it was even possible a bullet from a human-held gun can travel that far, or anything like that. I remember it was a dead-still, glorious sunny day. I'd stopped about 30 seconds after setting out to give my tyre a squeeze when I heard something small whizz overhead. I noticed it, thought "WTF was that?" then forgot about it till about an hour later when I had the usual "I don't get the fascination" thought process while listening to gunshots out there. I'd remembered a friend in the Army talking about live ammunition exercises and crawling along the ground while people shot over your head - he distinctly described the whizzing sound.

If it's not possible, it's not possible - and I was hearing things, or it was just a bird and not as fast as I thought. But it did make me wonder what happens to stray bullets - their trajectories, how long the velocity remains lethal etc.

I've been hit or near missed by a good range of improvised weapons over the years.
My only experience is paintball rounds, which was quite intimidating the first time. I couldn't begin to imagine how terrifying it would be in actual combat with real bullets aiming for you.

Or being in the middle of a mass shooting.

placebo

Likes Dirt
Your right, that's why the army uses cars, dogs, cats, knife, water, drop bears, blah blah

[video=youtube_share;0rR9IaXH1M0]https://youtu.be/0rR9IaXH1M0[/video]

I don't have the link now, it might have been on Joe Rogan, but in a busy week Jim Jeffries said he gets about 800 emails a week from gun nuts because of this video. The jesus video he did gets about 40 a year.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did a bit of google earth investigating when I got home that day (it was 5+ years ago) and thought that yes - if someone accidentally pulled up and to the left of the mountain that it looks like they fire towards, a bullet could possibly head roughly toward where I was standing when I heard it (which was about 50m from the Drysdale carpark). But I have no idea of ballistics, or if it was even possible a bullet from a human-held gun can travel that far, or anything like that. I remember it was a dead-still, glorious sunny day. I'd stopped about 30 seconds after setting out to give my tyre a squeeze when I heard something small whizz overhead. I noticed it, thought "WTF was that?" then forgot about it till about an hour later when I had the usual "I don't get the fascination" thought process while listening to gunshots out there. I'd remembered a friend in the Army talking about live ammunition exercises and crawling along the ground while people shot over your head - he distinctly described the whizzing sound.

If it's not possible, it's not possible - and I was hearing things, or it was just a bird and not as fast as I thought. But it did make me wonder what happens to stray bullets - their trajectories, how long the velocity remains lethal etc.

My only experience is paintball rounds, which was quite intimidating the first time. I couldn't begin to imagine how terrifying it would be in actual combat with real bullets aiming for you.
Or being in the middle of a mass shooting.
Not that far from the firing line, but the best part of the other side of a mountain, so would have had to be a deliberate shot over the hill, aimed well outside the range. Most people limit themselves to well within 500m shooting, that's all that most rifle/user combinations are good for, especially in large calibers bolt action rifles without recoil dampening systems and Australia is limited to such rifles.
That' doesn't mean these calibres are not highly capable of reaching out that far and beyond. Possibly the best I've ever used was a custom nemo omen 300 winchester magnum shown below, the first semi auto capable of using belted magnum cases. That thing with it's recoil dampening and app/scope improved accuracy could fire a full magazine on a 24" target at 1000m fairly quickly off a sandbag rest, and was still accurate out to 1200m which was the limit of the scope I had on it. I've shot with guys who could stretch that rifle out to 1760 yards - 1 mile. Starting at a touch higher than 3200 feet per second, it's about 4 seconds between pulling the trigger and hearing the bullet report back thwaaack as it hits a target no bigger than an average desktop computer monitor 1 mile away. You'd hear the bullet before the shot, but unless you're deaf you would hear the rumble of the shot. I have the same calibre in a sako bolt action rifle, a superb bit of engineering/manufacturing but without gas block recoil it's only accurate to 500m, yet shares the same bullet/powder/ballistics as the nemo and can thus throw projectiles inaccurately well beyond 1 mile. Draw your own conclusions.

(BTW - these types of guns are weapons of war. They shouldn't be available to the public, and I think Howard got the gun laws here spot on)

Attachments

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have no proof, but I swear one day I heard a sound similar to one of those whizzing overhead bullets out at the You Yangs. If it wasn't a stray bullet, it was a really fkn fast moving bird..
I hope it was a crazy magpie trying to break the sound barrier but from the posts above highly unlikely. I know blokes that have made lots of baffles for guns, so if you didn't hear a crack at the beginning might be someone having a play where they shouldn't be.

Yeah, very patriotic and proud of guns over there but it's a big chunk of their economy in dollar value also