Opinions of either a Van or Ute for Moving Bikes etc.

DOM

Eats Squid
Ok heres my question ..

I have an 96 Model Suzuki Swift - It will hopefully get me $4500 - 5000 on a trade - in.

I am thinking of 2 options .. Lets hear your thoughts on both.

Option 1.
Trade in the Swift for a $3000ish Van , A white Delivery Van, With Mags and Stiffer Springs .. a PHAT ARSED FARKIN.NET Sticker on it
The verstility of a Van looks good .. you can fit plent of bikes and riders , you can do road trips .. you can sleep in the back .. you can move alot of stuff. Vans Lowered with Wheels and Springs look nasty.. Well Ck's does anyway haha. The Van will be a 4 Cyclinder - with a 2L + Engine.

Option 2
A Dual Cab Style Side Ute like a Rodeo , or Bravo or something. Which will fit 5 dudes and 5 bikes on the back.

I love utes and have always wanted one .. however something is pulling me towards the Van. In Brisbane most of the shuttleable tracks are on Road so the Van would be surfice... although Id rather drive a Ute around then a Van ??? But then it would be rad to be able to travel somewhere .. and not give a sheet about sleeping somewhere as i could crash in my beasty assualt Van.

I wana hear what the people have to Say ????

a Farkin.net Team Van .... or a Ute ?

Az

Likes Dirt
I'd nearly be tempted to go the van, at least it can be locked up with your bike + gear safely inside.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mmm tricky indeed, i've often thought about which i'd prefer, i currently have a '91 commodore wagon and i love it, it can hual two bikes and 4-5 people in comfort and in fast as i'll ever need and handles decent. I say ute because you can carry more people and it'd be better as a daily driver.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ute.
You may be able to pack many bikes into a van but only 2 passengers.
Utes are also better for everyday driving, people that drive vans look sus :lol:

DOM

Eats Squid
hahahah, thanks Simo

The Van will have a bench seat in the back .. So it will seat 5 passengers and Bikes.

The Lock up Value is good , thanks AZ definately something good to have at a race site or shop etc.

I do agree Utes drive better , although once a van has the Wheels and Stiffer Springs they handle pretty well.

Az

Likes Dirt
One of the tour companies I worked for had one of those merc Vito vans. We mounted those bike hitch things on the side trim in the back on either side and you can easily get 4 or five bikes in there aswell as room for all the riders!!!

DOM

Eats Squid
yeah they rule .. although so does the price.

Im not looking at over $3000 .. I work in the City though .. so it's only really a Weekend Vehicle.

But yeah i caught a Taxi a few weeks ago in Sydney those things rock. - Way outta my leauge though for price.

S.

ex offender
I was considering the same sort of things for when I get my P's (about a year from now), and I'm pretty set on a ute because they're faster to load (organising 5 bikes neatly into a van is a pain), I'll be able to haul MX bikes, they look better, and I wouldn't feel like a retard driving one around :D

belly_up

Likes Dirt
The other thing to consider, for your intended purpose, is that most vans, especially older cheaper ones, have fully open diffs. Combine this with a complete lack of weight over the back wheels means that on any sort of marginal surface, traction is going to be a serious issue. And not in the sense of "wow isn't this cool i can get heaps of wheelspin", but more like "i'm going to sit here and spin one wheel for the rest of eternity and go nowhere fast". If you get some decent tyres on the mags, then that might help, as opposed to the usual cheap arse commercial tyres that are on there.
A ute, particularly a bravo / hilux etc is more likely to have some sort of LSD due to be designed for use on building sites and such.
thats my thoughts atm. :)

DOM

Eats Squid
Thanks Adam,

Well The Ute is looking good, BUT DAMM IT i want to have a shagin waggin ..

Ill have to see what prices i can find,

The utes will drive better though.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
yeah, ute drives better, van fits more stuff and is lockable.
The ideal vehicle i've decided is a Landcruiser Troopy, seat 11 people, or seat a few less and room for bikes. More room than a van, drives as well as a ute, and can go anywhere. Unfortunately they cost a big bucket of money :(

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ute is also god for when you are out where, you don't have to worry about the legality of shuttles as mroe people can jump in the tray.

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
if you get a ute, you can always stick a cab on the back, that way you have security, and somewhere to sleep. the cab can be taken off at races etc, where its easier to then stick the bikes in. but driving around with the cab you will not be able to take as many bikes...always a downside.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Az said:
One of the tour companies I worked for had one of those merc Vito vans. We mounted those bike hitch things on the side trim in the back on either side and you can easily get 4 or five bikes in there aswell as room for all the riders!!!
When I first got over to London I scored a job delivering PA gear in a Vito. Those things rock, handle like a car, still go hard when fully loaded and have the cool dash mounted gear change to give you that WRC feel.

Van would be better for the post ride maccas / beers session. You can really pimp them up cheaply as well. You have all that enclosed space in the back for the doof doof.

Ute is more of a mans car - you can walk around showing your arse crack - tradey style