AM Optimus Prime

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Welcome to the dark side.

Shame about the 9 though. But if'n you had to, the prime's the way to go. They manage to not have that stretch limo look most dual sus 9ers have.

Banshees allus look good in bleck.

Not sure why there is so little written on this bike that I can find,
The Rune and Spitfire, tend to grab all the attention from the media, the Rune in particular, being the Franchise bike of the Banshee renaissance.

But the bullet points from the rune and spitty will apply to the Prime. They're all bikes that are great at their target niche, but have the versatility not to suck when you take them miles outside their comfort zone. I've ridden my rune, built to withstand me pinballing off every tree and rock within 100m of the trail, on longish XC rides, with only the occasional need for a mid ride nap, and Im not the most enamoured person with pedaling.

The prime will never be as purely XC as a carbon fibre, twitchy whippet, but it'll get you to the top with plenty left in the tank. Which you'll need, because you'll be enjoying the other side of the hill a hell of a lot more than the poor sap on the 9kg carbon coat hanger with the broken stays....

Last edited:

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Expecting my "Prime" frame to arrive today or tomorrow. This will be my third Prime over many years (along with a Paradox, a Spitfire and a Phantom)... I've had one from each of the last 3 generations. I've had to downsize the bike fleet and was after a solid, do-it-all with no fuss susser, so went to what I know... hard to resist at the current price too. It will be interesting to compare experiences as my build will be a little different to yours... I'll be keen to hear about the durability of the Eagle drive line as that may be a future addition to my build.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Expecting my "Prime" frame to arrive today or tomorrow. This will be my third Prime over many years (along with a Paradox, a Spitfire and a Phantom)... I've had one from each of the last 3 generations. I've had to downsize the bike fleet and was after a solid, do-it-all with no fuss susser, so went to what I know... hard to resist at the current price too. It will be interesting to compare experiences as my build will be a little different to yours... I'll be keen to hear about the durability of the Eagle drive line as that may be a future addition to my build.
That's encouraging news. I'm still watching my order on MTB Direct stating "Pick" and hoping for "Dispatched" to show up.

I feel like an impatient child.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Delivered this afternoon :)... only took a week to make the journey from Victoria to Sunshine Coast, Qld (Toll Express service). I've owned a few raw frames, but wow... this thing took my breath away... more like stainless steel in appearance. Headset and Fork fitted (Fox 36 150), wheels and tyres setup tubeless... the rest can wait till tomorrow. Sorry to hijack thread SJP... I'll stop now ;)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now I have the right notification. Hoping Toll can make a man happy and deliver tomorrow. I'm trying to stay calm but failing so far..

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know... And it's SE Melbourne not CBD so I'm hopeful but will expect to hear they can't deliver until just after the weekend. I've had previous with Toll and can't say it was a high point in customer service.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to have to try and have faith. But yep, looks like a Monday pm delivery and a weekend of wailing like an infant inside.

Anyway, I've derailled your thread far too much, let's see more photos + news of yours, @steve jobs' pancreas!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I underestimated two items. They'll be collected tommorow morning and all going well it'll be finished Saturday.
Almost there..

empire

Likes Bikes
Are you happy with the raw frame? I was really impressed when I pulled my raw prime frame out of the box.

Looking forward to seeing it built up