Orange Alpine

Z

Zaf

The sliding shuttle is great in theory....but pointless. Who ever wants to steepen HA and raise BB in the real world?
Kind of a general rule with adjustable geometry isn't it?
I've only met one person on an adjustable geometry bike that wasn't in full slack is out here and he runs 190mm cranks on a Rocky Mountain Instinct, so has it steeped up to get BB clearance.

Thought of just taking to to a welder?

Z

Zaf

Not for a second....
Was that a blasphemous suggestion?
Could try some silicon between the joint surfaces as well; less permanent and gives a durable, rubbery medium to stop metal on metal creaking.

moorey

call me Mia
Was that a blasphemous suggestion?
Could try some silicon between the joint surfaces as well; less permanent and gives a durable, rubbery medium to stop metal on metal creaking.
Considered it, but it all fits so flush, would be hard to get it where I want it.
It’s only minor, but I’m surprisingly noise averse for a man who loves oranges.

Z

Zaf

Considered it, but it all fits so flush, would be hard to get it where I want it.
It’s only minor, but I’m surprisingly noise averse for a man who loves oranges.
Are Oranges noisy bikes? I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in the flesh, let alone being ridden, but it always occurred to me that with so few moving parts, and the high rear strut (to avoid chain slap noises) that they'd run nice and quiet.
Still, nothing like a ride that doesn't emit weird noises to make you love it.

moorey

call me Mia
Are Oranges noisy bikes? I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in the flesh, let alone being ridden, but it always occurred to me that with so few moving parts, and the high rear strut (to avoid chain slap noises) that they'd run nice and quiet.
Still, nothing like a ride that doesn't emit weird noises to make you love it.
Back in the day, without clutches, and particularly ones with the floating brake, they were noisy. It’s mainly down to the big monocoque swing arm acting like a speaker cone. Even now, they still magnify any noise. A small creak or squeak is amplified.
On the plus side, a nice hub is 2x as loud on the oranges as my other bikes.

Reactions: Zaf

moorey

call me Mia
Gee they sound like awesome bikes.
The fact that you’ll never know, helps me sleep at night.

I did 3 things to it this arvo. Always a mistake, coz if it fixes it, I’ll never know what it was.
Graphite powdered the shuttle.
Replaced a shock Bush that seemed fine.
Added a washer to the shock bolt to ensure the bolt wasn’t binding on itself before fully tight.

Fingers crossed.

Sorry for the hijack Frenchy. Love your bike. You know where I am if you ever sell the frame.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Back in the day, without clutches, and particularly ones with the floating brake, they were noisy. It’s mainly down to the big monocoque swing arm acting like a speaker cone. Even now, they still magnify any noise. A small creak or squeak is amplified.
On the plus side, a nice hub is 2x as loud on the oranges as my other bikes.
Back in the day!? They still sound like a filing cabinet full of mice being rolled down a hill.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Your bike makes me moister than an oyster. Godamnit, I don’t normally like bikes other than trannys (thats a lie. I’m a filthy bike slut).

I kinda want my scout to break now so I can justify buying an orange.

Ultra Lord

I just looked up frame price for an alpine6 (changed name), honestly not that much more than retail scout. The boost rear end is a turnoff, but hope hubs are cheap enough I suppose. My 36’s can be relengthened to 170, I’d need some hope cranks for it of course......... godamnit dude.

The hommous is really tipping me over. We got none of that over here in giddyup territory, just cowboy hats and cheap beer.

moorey

call me Mia
Plenty of near new ones on the orange pages, for great prices. Just a bit of shipping from the uk. My 2014 alpine frame with CCDBA in top condition was $900 shipped.

And watch this. Will either put you off for life, or convince you to buy one. There’s an intangible joy in riding a bike you know was made by hand all the way.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
And you watch a current vid, about 6 years later...mostly same guys welding, folding, aligning..,

Ultra Lord

Guy martins a legend. His welds are rubbish though. I’ve watched most of his youtube stuff.

I’ve seen some people complain about how rough the welds and quality control is (old mate belting a frame into alignment) but Those blokes are talking out their arse, orange bikes are quality.

Gotta wait for my scout to die first. 1st ride since christmas this weekend, lets see how we go.