oryx Desert deuler??

125PHIL

Likes Dirt
ok, the idea of getting a 250 has fallen through, but im now looking at getting and oryx desert deuler frame, never heard much of them never really heard of the company..well yeah, what u recon the fram ewould be like for hardtail DHing??
heres a pic of the frame, well yeah thoughts

[/url]http://www.icyclebc.com/photoimages/c55364.jpg discuss i know theres a ewwww ...ncorperated chain tensioner thingy??? thanks

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a mate who owns one of them and it is in perfect condition and he rides farkin hard! he has broken all his components basicly (he bought it frame only) and they were good components and the frame is as i said, perfect condition. It looks really well made and it looks crazy!

He is running dj3's, aireal chain guide, and a heap of other stuff of equal quality.

Dane

Likes Dirt
125PHIL said:
i know theres a ewwww with the non replaceable derailer hanger, but if i bent /snap it is it possible to get ones that like have an incorperated chain tensioner thingy???
thanks
Grip will be able to fix it for ya... there is another brand that has a selling point of non-replaceable hangers (i think its either santa cruz or craftworks). they claim that they make em strong enough in the first place!

-Dane

CHEWY

Eats Squid
its a steel frame too, thats why it doesnt have a replacable hanger... just bend it back

G

they look real nice...looks like it wold stand up to what a twofiddy would

wombat

Lives in a hole
CHEWY said:
its a steel frame too, thats why it doesnt have a replacable hanger... just bend it back
You might be able to do that a few times, but steel will still work harden eventually.

Dane

Likes Dirt

looks suspiciously similar to my giant ac... except for the top tube!

but the Desert Dueler looks nice!

wombat

Lives in a hole
iLikeBasS said:
looks suspiciously similar to my giant ac... except for the top tube!
Isn't the AC a four bar linkage though?

As for Oryx, I've heard nasty things about their duallies, but not too much negative talk of their hardtail; but it's a pretty hard thing to mess up too.

Dane

Likes Dirt

cant really tell from this picture, but on my frame even all the welds look exactly the same! the only difference is the orix headtube looks a bit beefier!

S.

ex offender
iLikeBasS said:
125PHIL said:
i know theres a ewwww with the non replaceable derailer hanger, but if i bent /snap it is it possible to get ones that like have an incorperated chain tensioner thingy???
thanks
Grip will be able to fix it for ya... there is another brand that has a selling point of non-replaceable hangers (i think its either santa cruz or craftworks). they claim that they make em strong enough in the first place!

-Dane
Santa Cruz used to, and I think Orange has non-replaceable hangers.

Ty

Eats Squid
iLikeBasS said:

cant really tell from this picture, but on my frame even all the welds look exactly the same! the only difference is the orix headtube looks a bit beefier!
the the AC has sick fluid formed tubes which basicaly produces a lighter stronger tubset by placeing material/structure where it's needed and cuting down where it isn't, also though you can't see it clearly in that pic the seat post on the AC actualy can pass out of the S-bend seat tube to give you a larger range of seat heights making it alittle more useful.

basicaly it's just more refined.

the DD frame is pretty nice, a couple of my mates have them, same old story, cheap, strong, light pick two, so for $400 you get a fair bit of cromo for your money but it weighs about 7 lbs

also note, they DD frame doesn't V brake mounts.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Socket said:
Fluid formed = some fancy form of butting?
Essentially, but apparently a lot more adept at doing funky things. My understanding is that the tube is drawn using a high pressure fluid flow which allows them to rpecisely control where the material is deposited by directing the flow.

ruthlessgirl

token forum girl
They are pretty nice. Beefy Chromo frame. Getting a gold 2003 one (DD99)? Oryx is owned by the same parent company as Rocky Mountain here in Canada so the tech is shared. Expect good things. The 2004 ones are bright orange.

Rik

logged out
Socket said:
Sounds like a bit of wankage going on there...
If you look at any fluid-formed frame, they're made pretty well, allowing greater surface are at the welds. Plus it looks shmick too.