VIC Otway Odyssey 27th April 2014

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Course was extended this year to include Casper Black in reverse. Was an additional 4km of rather windy and slower singletrack.

Ouch, Casper Black is soul-destroying when you are tired! Each time you do one of it's descents, you are already dreading the corresponding climb, and mentally trying to remember how many more down/up combos are still to come...

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Conditions good, just VERY cold at the start line.
If I hadn't ridden the Dirty Gran Fondo last year, I would have said this was the coldest start I'd been a part of.
Average temp on my garmin for the 50km was 5 degrees.

port80

Squid
Was Casper Black the sandy trail that started just before the 40km sign? There was a section there that felt like most riders just bailed and walked... happy to never ride that section again. Other than that the trail seemed in good condition. The event seems to be getting better each year. Personally I found the temp was perfect.. considering the 10kms of climb to warm you up first thing ;)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Was Casper Black the sandy trail that started just before the 40km sign? There was a section there that felt like most riders just bailed and walked... happy to never ride that section again. Other than that the trail seemed in good condition. The event seems to be getting better each year. Personally I found the temp was perfect.. considering the 10kms of climb to warm you up first thing ;)

I believe you are referring to the section with the sign "in quads we trust". Very difficult to ride that section - Casper black came after that. You crossed a fireroad, up a rather 1km pinch, back down some windy, tight singletrack, back over the fireroad and then into Casper Black. Its very "up and down" with steep pinchs with sandy bit on the hairpins. Tough going!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Warmed up with knee warmers on, but removed them before the start. Had polar fleece arms but didn't roll them down once - something I usually do within the first 5km of a race.

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
Super muddy KOM climb by the time I got there - had to walk much of jt with the rest of the tail. The newish singletrack after it (Casper Black?) was also terrible, but everything improved after the first transition at 38km. Exhausting. Great mood at the footy ground afterwards.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
100k.

yes cold start but I had nothing but a short sleeve jersey and bib pants, this is the OO man, its the htfu time of year, I knew it was only minutes before I'd be buzzing along with the group to keep me warm.

I started in front third, pace was good, then they upped it slightly out of forrest, look down at garmin no heart rate ... got it working later, anyway backed off a bit and tried to spin as much as possible and draft the group/s. hit the sandy road, its compacted, great that slowed me down last year, next the climbs to KOM - looking a bit wet, now sloppy mud riders walking - wtf I rode all this last year, in the end no traction and walkers across track so had to run some bits. top of KOM, feeling good, on my target time (5hr.55 pace). hit the descents, tuck, drink, eat, recovering beautifully from the climb catch up to softek - rolled and TTrailed as much of road as I could - softek climbing past me on the 1x10 having a chat.

Into Motos section, nooooooooo ... more walkers, come on man it aren't steep how did so many of these gumbies get in front of me. oh well can't do much about it, just got to go with it, so rolled through moto tracks - couldn't get the speed I'd like then again its energy saved so not all bad.

through forrest oval, quick camelbak change no down time, and out into loop, softek climbs past me on first climb - he looks comfortable. I'm eating and drinking getting my mind ready for loop. We're into it, some riders hammer past must be 50kers so we get onto them and its a train through the ST. Into grass trees, softek and I are owning the trails, bang bang berm to berm, catching riders so we sit as pace was good. Into marriner's run sections, about 5 riders in front, I'm watching them closely as a timid rider is going to put you off the trail pretty easily as I"m right on their line. all good, so sit on them, pick them off after marriners - keep seeing softek on switchbacks so know he's there. pass the 50k mark, under 3 hrs (2;56) that's good and where I want to be, legs smacking out the single track - the mountain bike demon is burning inside me, more single track, more, more.

last part of loop with about 8 ks to the oval bang, rear derailleur catches a big stick that I didn't see. happen so fast no time to stop pedaling so RD is toast. so a few options, run back to oval, convert to single speed and ride back. I convert to SS, get the chainline right but chain is super tight so have to pedal very easily. I've cooled down now the demon has gone, and shows over, that's mtbing .... mechanicals happen. roll back into Oval, could snag a demo bike or mates from 50k, nope he aren't in yet and lost too much time so that's it for 2014 Odyssey. In previous 4 have never had an issue not even a mechanical, so outside of my control this one. I'll be back - awesome event, nothing like riding with so many mountain bikes.

Last edited:

port80

Squid
I believe you are referring to the section with the sign "in quads we trust". Very difficult to ride that section - Casper black came after that. You crossed a fireroad, up a rather 1km pinch, back down some windy, tight singletrack, back over the fireroad and then into Casper Black. Its very "up and down" with steep pinchs with sandy bit on the hairpins. Tough going!
That's it! Very very tough going for that stage of the race. I got to the 35km mark thinking 'Yeah, going okay.. this is good', then by 45km I was wishing for a quick and painless death :eek:

I kept my trackie pants and hoodie on until I got to the line, so perhaps that helped...

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Awesome day out once again, did the 100k once again for the 5th time now, and finally cracked the 5hr mark!

The sandy section was great this year, a total contrast to last year, but the slippery climbs further up were definitely a surprise. Thankfully most the ST was in great nick, i just wish I was a bit fresher getting to Red Carpet, as it was in great condition, would have been great to ride in the 50k if you were in the first few riders with a clean run.

With all the slippery climbs, I think overall the course was a good bit slower, 2-3%? looking at the winning time plus gauging on other peoples times that I have seen. Just did a quick average on the results and the median time was around 6:32, last year was 6:49 (but 30% more riders)

Somehow managed to ride big log on track 6 when the bike almost came out from under me, I was just following a wheel and was already halfway over it when I realised how slippery it was, that was a scary moment, but then the poor guy in front of me ate it over the double log further up.

Looking forward to next year already

Last edited:

katokid

Squid
My first 100km...

Garmin showed 1 deg at the start and I didn't really warm up until 12km mark which was the start of the climb on Haydens.

Apart from the last few km's of Hayden Track to the KOM which was unrideable due to mud (by the time I got there anyway) the rest was mint....bit slippery in the shaded areas if you really wanted to complain.

Kanngland Rd was a grind but in a good way, the climb from the lake Elizabeth car park to the start of Red Carpet was a bit tough after Kaangland Rd.

Finished strong in 6:44 so very happy as a first crack.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Awesome day out once again, did the 100k once again for the 5th time now, and finally cracked the 5hr mark!

The sandy section was great this year, a total contrast to last year, but the slippery climbs further up were definitely a surprise. Thankfully most the ST was in great nick, i just wish I was a bit fresher getting to Red Carpet, as it was in great condition, would have been great to ride in the 50k if you were in the first few riders with a clean run.

With all the slippery climbs, I think overall the course was a good bit slower, 2-3%? looking at the winning time plus gauging on other peoples times that I have seen. Just did a quick average on the results and the median time was around 6:32, last year was 6:49 (but 30% more riders)

Somehow managed to ride big log on track 6 when the bike almost came out from under me, I was just following a wheel and was already halfway over it when I realised how slippery it was, that was a scary moment, but then the poor guy in front of me ate it over the double log further up.

Dude you absolutely blitzed it!

Red carpet was fun. I definitely got in there earlier then most and it was fun. Had to stop twice for 2 riders (who then moved aside to allow me to overtake), but at least they were being polite :)

Big Tim

Likes Dirt

Loved it as usual. The track change has added 300 m of vertical according to strava. Definitely slower than last year those sandy up and downs at the end are brutal. Someone who rides the area says it's meant to be ridden the other way and I don't doubt it. They've separated the 100 and 50 riders thank god. This year I didn't get held up much at all so that was a plus. Not sure about it in April. Yes it's cooler and we won't die from bushfire but if it's wet it's gonna be a long long day.

Well done. I'll be back. Wish there was beer at the finish. I think I deserved one or two frothies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
In aggreeance with all those that the last 10k of the 50 was brutal. I was feeling great until then when my pace dropped from 19.2k to 17.1 at the finish. I had a complete stop with both legs severely cramping at one point on Casper black I was writhing on the ground when a bloke stopped and offered assistance, I saw him again a few k 's later fixing someone's chain- that's MTBing! A great day although I never wish to ride that twisty sandy demon again!

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
100k.

.... roll back into Oval, could snag a demo bike or mates from 50k, nope he aren't in yet and lost too much time so that's it for 2014 Odyssey. In previous 4 have never had an issue not even a mechanical, so outside of my control this one. I'll be back - awesome event, nothing like riding with so many mountain bikes.
Man! I read all that & then get to this, what a bummer. So does this count as a finish?

Nice work on cracking 5hrs, and good to hear the impression was a slower than normal race. I was hoping for sub 5hrs, but not at all bummed with 5:25 after finishing. Certainly couldn't have given it any more.. This was my first 100k race and the best big event I can recall competing in.

Having the best trails in the state helps but the organisation and preparedness is like a well oiled machine (especially after the unfortunate shambles of the 50k at wombat a fortnight ago). Even though there were hundreds of competitors, there were moments on the single track where I was wondering if I'd taken a wrong turn it was so quiet. Good camaraderie from other riders and all the volunteers as usual - we're a nice lot, mountain bikers aren't we?

Forgetting the arm warmers hurt me until about 2k into the sandy climb but my lack of preparation paid off in other ways with me not getting around to swapping the Beaver out for something quicker - the top of the KOM was nice and slippery! The trails were generally in sensational condition and helped forget the pain (except maybe heavy smoker - after 90k+ that was just rude).

Thanks to the organisers, volunteers and other riders, certainly a bucket list event for any MTB'er.

kinzman

Squid
I did the 'shorty' and as my first race and my first proper ride at Forrest I'm heartened to read that I wasn't the only one feeling the brutality of the last 10km's. I was wondering who manages to ride up those sandy climbs until I read Big Tim's post about riding the track the opposite way.
I managed to clip a few trees during the race that sent me flying about three times but it was that mean drop after crossing the road (around the 35km mark I think) that blew my front tyre off the rim and had me sitting there for ages covered in sealant while trying to fit a tube (the first of which had a faulty valve)
Great fun overall - I'm pretty sore today but I'll be back for more next year.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
100k.

yes cold start but I had nothing but a short sleeve jersey and bib pants, this is the OO man, its the htfu time of year, I knew it was only minutes before I'd be buzzing along with the group to keep me warm.

I started in front third, pace was good, then they upped it slightly out of forrest, look down at garmin no heart rate ... got it working later, anyway backed off a bit and tried to spin as much as possible and draft the group/s. hit the sandy road, its compacted, great that slowed me down last year, next the climbs to KOM - looking a bit wet, now sloppy mud riders walking - wtf I rode all this last year, in the end no traction and walkers across track so had to run some bits. top of KOM, feeling good, on my target time (5hr.55 pace). hit the descents, tuck, drink, eat, recovering beautifully from the climb catch up to softek - rolled and TTrailed as much of road as I could - softek climbing past me on the 1x10 having a chat.

Into Motos section, nooooooooo ... more walkers, come on man it aren't steep how did so many of these gumbies get in front of me. oh well can't do much about it, just got to go with it, so rolled through moto tracks - couldn't get the speed I'd like then again its energy saved so not all bad.

through forrest oval, quick camelbak change no down time, and out into loop, softek climbs past me on first climb - he looks comfortable. I'm eating and drinking getting my mind ready for loop. We're into it, some riders hammer past must be 50kers so we get onto them and its a train through the ST. Into grass trees, softek and I are owning the trails, bang bang berm to berm, catching riders so we sit as pace was good. Into marriner's run sections, about 5 riders in front, I'm watching them closely as a timid rider is going to put you off the trail pretty easily as I"m right on their line. all good, so sit on them, pick them off after marriners - keep seeing softek on switchbacks so know he's there. pass the 50k mark, under 3 hrs (2;56) that's good and where I want to be, legs smacking out the single track - the mountain bike demon is burning inside me, more single track, more, more.

last part of loop with about 8 ks to the oval bang, rear derailleur catches a big stick that I didn't see. happen so fast no time to stop pedaling so RD is toast. so a few options, run back to oval, convert to single speed and ride back. I convert to SS, get the chainline right but chain is super tight so have to pedal very easily. I've cooled down now the demon has gone, and shows over, that's mtbing .... mechanicals happen. roll back into Oval, could snag a demo bike or mates from 50k, nope he aren't in yet and lost too much time so that's it for 2014 Odyssey. In previous 4 have never had an issue not even a mechanical, so outside of my control this one. I'll be back - awesome event, nothing like riding with so many mountain bikes.
That sucks mate. I did the same thing last year. Ripped rear mech off with 15km to go. Wasn't a nice way to finish with a 15km fun run.

gpmtb

Likes Bikes
Great event again and while lucky enough to be able to get to Forrest at least a few times a year, there is a bit of a buzz in sharing the trails with a large MTB crowd at this event. Thinking back to the past few years Odysseys there has certainly been some variety in conditions. Reading other posts it sounds like even within this year's race conditions changed with position in field. By the time I rode the quarry section it was chopped up and damn hard to keep the bike straight - the section showing the effects of the passing 50km field and the 100kms in front of me. There was a few sections like this, but absolutely loved it as it just brought more fun into it.
The posts about the Casper Black section in the 50km capture my thoughts on the Follow the dog/Third time lucky section at the end of the 100km - great tracks, but cruelly snaking back and forth, up and down when the last of the energy you have left is spent imaging a straight flat, trail to the finish line. It was in this section that I lost it on one of those damn plastic bridges (despite the signs warning of their dangers). Man those things were lethal, I almost fell arse over again just trying to get upright off the deck!
I reckon this year would create slower times all being equal other than trail conditions, just with the hard work maintaining traction in some places, but that said the Haydens Tk sand was like riding a sealed road. Bring on next year's issue.
Interesting to see any feedback on the timing of the event as have heard a few different opinions. For me, Southern Victoria weather could give you anything in summer/autumn, so happy whenever it is.