Otway Odyssey entries open - new course?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Well back home in devonport now having survived my second odyssey, what can I say other than it was a good tough ride. It took me 8 hours 6 mins an hour and a half quicker than last year and also rode it on a single speed for the challenge.
I liked the course quite a lot even when I had a little flying lesson thrown in, branch on moto track. The course had everything you could ask for ,good single track through varied bush lands big bastard climbs which hurt a lot.
I have nothing but praise for everyone out there marshals aswell it was hot as hell and I saw no crabby folks, so I might give it another go next year, see you all there, Stuart
Nice, I have nothing but admiration for the single speed crew. It is painful just watching those mega slow cadences up the climbs.

vergard

Squid
3 riders who must have missed grass strees. no 5805 passed 502 riders /no 5419 passed 211 riders /no 5765 passed 124 riders. all in the last 25km.and 5765 won her class.passing that many in single track hard to believe.
My wife is #5765 and I need to defend her. She RODE Grass Trees. The reason she passed so many people is because she can ride a bike and keeps riding, doesn't get off her bike to get over obstacles or stop like the dozens of other riders who were stopped at every intersection on the 2nd half of the course. She has been riding & racing mt bikes since late 1980s, she's raced here and in the US including cyclocross. You fail to mention she overtook 245 on the 1st climb, maybe the way she wins is she actually gets out and rides her bike instead of agonising over other people's results. Looking forward to the apology.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
also chip timing can be a bit misleading, it's not a physical pass more a timing system pass - so from section A to B the rider was quicker time wise (which looks like they passed 100s), even though they may not have passed physically 100s. all comes about because of timing mat at start so it depends when you cross it as to when your race time begins.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
I had a great ride doing the 100 (my first Odyssey, and first 100km race), the training seemed to pay off. Wasnt sure how to pace myself so started with the 'middle ring riders'. Was a bit frustrating at times on the singletrack, seemingly easy log rollovers were impassable to some riders (roadies?) who then held up everyone after them. So was riding at about 50% pace for most of the motorcycle single track, grasstrees, mariners etc. Would get around some people, only to be held up again. Decided just to roll along and enjoy the scenery, so by the time I got out to Kaanglang Rd at about 65km I was feeling good and pushed the big ring all the way to the top passing a heap of riders. Then the climb out from Lake Elizabeth I started cramping, which got really bad by the time I got to the dam wall. But managed to keep pushing through and started feeling good again with about 5km to go. So rolled through the finish line at 6.57 which I was pleased with as I had estimated I would do it in 8.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
My wife is #5765 and I need to defend her. She RODE Grass Trees. The reason she passed so many people is because she can ride a bike and keeps riding, doesn't get off her bike to get over obstacles or stop like the dozens of other riders who were stopped at every intersection on the 2nd half of the course. She has been riding & racing mt bikes since late 1980s, she's raced here and in the US including cyclocross. You fail to mention she overtook 245 on the 1st climb, maybe the way she wins is she actually gets out and rides her bike instead of agonising over other people's results. Looking forward to the apology.
Vergard - you haven't actually proved anything with the above - all you have told us is wife has been riding for many years. I think what madman_67 was trying to highlight was her final leg was something of a "statistical anomaly".

Looking at the split times:
  • Start to Top of Timed Descent - 1:00:31 (553rd overall)
  • Red Carpet Timed Descent - 0:22:52 (549th overall)
  • West Barwon reservoir - 0:22:30 (602nd overall)
  • Shotz Super Shorty Loop - 2:03:28 (350th overall)

To the casual observer, that's a big difference in placing that would raise questions. Looking into it more, her time in this segment was 9 minutes faster then the lady who was leading at the halfway point - given the hot and humid conditions I think it is possible to make up 9 minutes, particularly if your wife was feeling strong and had something in reserve and the other lady went out too fast early and died in the a$$. At the same time I have seen/heard even the most experienced riders (state and national level) take a wrong turn/short cut in a race and rejoin it - it can happen to anyone.

re: overtaking 245 riders on the first climb, all the data can tell us is that she was the 553rd rider to pass over the timing mat, with 245 riders behind her.

An upload of her garmin data would end all arguments :)

re: the guy who overtook 502 riders - I am pretty confident he took a shortcut :p

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a great 2nd OO although the heat took it's toll with some bad cramping...

I had a bit of final energy surge and had a fun sprint to the line which i won by half a bike length, final results show i was beaten by 1 second, due to start timming.

From last year i made up 6 class places and 42 overall so am more than happy....

Thanks to all you guys for the fun and easy going racing, see you next year.

vergard

Squid
Vergard - you haven't actually proved anything
Call me old fashioned but when someone acuses you of cheating it is usually them who has to do the proving.
My wife knows she rode the entire course and the results show she did it in a time that happened to be the fastest amongst women aged 50-59.
She rode hard, had fun and had a good result, I don't get why you guys are trying to take that away from her.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Vergard - you haven't actually proved anything
Call me old fashioned but when someone acuses you of cheating it is usually them who has to do the proving.
My wife knows she rode the entire course and the results show she did it in a time that happened to be the fastest amongst women aged 50-59.
She rode hard, had fun and had a good result, I don't get why you guys are trying to take that away from her.
Err, where did I accuse your wife of cheating? All I have said is your wife's time for the the last leg of the race was a "statistical anomaly". Surely even you can see that. Actually perhaps you can't - you are hardly a neutral observer in this.

madman_67

Likes Bikes
245 passed on the first climb.that just means she started towards the front. only 3 riders out of 852 managed to do that much passing in the 2nd half of the race.

vergard

Squid
[/QUOTE]
Err, where did I accuse your wife of cheating? All I have said is your wife's time for the the last leg of the race was a "statistical anomaly". Surely even you can see that. Actually perhaps you can't - you are hardly a neutral observer in this.
You did not accuse my wife of cheating, madman67 did, you just backed him up. I referenced your quote as you seem to think that she has the burden of proof, she does not.
"statistical anomaly" or great pacing with 25 years of endurance racing in her legs?
I am defending my wifes name, whats your motivation? if it is to disuade middle aged women from doing mountain bike races your doing great.

vergard

Squid
"245 passed on the first climb.that just means she started towards the front. only 3 riders out of 852 managed to do that much passing in the 2nd half of the race."

I did a cross country ski race in Sweden a few years back, over the 90k course I overtook 17,000 people, using your logic I must of cheated, I did not. Why can you not accept that someone rode the last 25k well? I dont get it, so unless you can prove my wife cheated I would apreciate it if you dropped this, I am tired of it as must all the other people on RB.
P.S
I did hear that there was a dodgy result in the Tumbarumba under 8 BMX champs the other day, maybe you guys can use your analytical skills to sort that one out.

delbified

Likes Bikes
i saw heaps of guys taking shortcuts across switchbacks to overtake riders - don't worry i recorded their numbers and rider descriptions and reported them to RA. i'm sure they will be hearing from the organisers any day now.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys, we are only giving out opinions on stuff, it's up to RA to query any issues with timing, they're the final judge on all this, at the end of the day what we say won't change results so don't take it all too seriously - it's a bit of trash talking, noticed RA were even doing manual recording of numbers on day so that's as good as it gets timing wise.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
You did not accuse my wife of cheating, madman67 did, you just backed him up.
No, I merely provided breakdown of times and some commentary based on that.

I referenced your quote as you seem to think that she has the burden of proof, she does not.
Fair enough, however with such a huge jump in placings for a win, it will always raise eyebrows.

"statistical anomaly" or great pacing with 25 years of endurance racing in her legs?
Who knows, I am merely looking at it from a measurable perspective (ie. the breakdown of times) - its pretty hard to measure "25 years of endurance racing in her legs" - those legs still get tired from time to time and sometimes they might pedal in the wrong direction too.

I am defending my wifes name, whats your motivation? if it is to disuade middle aged women from doing mountain bike races your doing great.
[/QUOTE]

"your doing great" - I think that should be "you're doing great"...

You have every right to defend your wife - I am not stopping you from doing so. Re: motivation, I simply did an analysis of the times - how you decipher or react to it is completely up to you. If you are that paranoid to think I want to discourage women from riding then you need to take some new tablets.

Anyways, I will leave madman67 and you to slug it out.

Beej1

FWIW, in the second 25km, I was pretty stuffed. A very hard few weeks leading up to the race for me meant I was just aiming to finish. I had no interest in beating times, getting a decent place ... anything like that. Having said that, I was surrounded by other pretty tired people most of this second half of the race, but the difference I noticed was that a lot of these people were not skilled riders. I didn't have to dismount for a single obstacle in the second 25km, and I would guesstimate I passed nearly 80-100 stationary people on said obstacles (probably 30 in grass trees, another 30 in Yo Yo and the roots following it, and the rest throughout the last bit of singletrack among the grass trees before you pop out onto the fire road).

Just before Yo Yo there was a big water tank where about 50 riders were standing around when I went through without stopping. I am not sure, but I think some were 100km riders are well? But still ... a lot of people passed in the space of 5 seconds.

Plus in the last 3 or so km, I got a burst of pseudo energy once I knew the end was 'in sight' and I think I passed about 15 people from here (about 10 of which were off their bikes in that last technical pinch before the oval).

All up I would have passed quite a few people on that second 25km. Most of them would have passed me earlier in the day on the steep climb up from Lake Elizabeth, where my single 34T chainring was killing me, or half way down Red Carpet, where my friend's shoe wouldn't come off of his pedal, and we sepnt 10min trying to get it out (I reckon about 50 or so riders passed us here). Or the 10 min I spent at the oval waiting for him to get this fixed. A lot may have passed me later on as I walked up In Quads We Trust, and the entire climb on the other side of the road after this. But I don't seem to remember many riders passing me here ... lots of hot, defeated looking people, walking like myself.

I haven't looked at stats or times. I have no interest. I just know I rode the entire 50km course (which I too think must've been longer with the addition of grass trees and I'm sure an extra climb on Yo Yo that was skipped last year). I know I passed a lot of people in that second 25km simply because they were off their bikes during technical parts, and never seemed to catch up to me again.

If this lady was simply able to ride the obstacles without stopping, and fit enough to ride more of the climbs than me, then I'm sure it's possible for her to have done what she did.