Otway Odyssey entries open - new course?

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
There are some sad pricks out there studying results for 'anomalies' in the 50-59yr old female catagory - even sadder if they themselves werent racing that catagory or gender!
Maybe more time spent on the bike, and not results reading would make the fast finishing ladies results a bit less of a surprise?

Why not just say well done, and move on?
A fast finish in a 100km race is to be congratulated and whether it is rare or not, only questioned if something was reported.

Well done to anyone who finished fast.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A friend rode the 50k as her 1st ever MTB race this year after getting a MTB 6 months ago.

I just compared her times to winner of 50+ Women- 1st climb 1min diff/ 2nd stage 20 seconds diff/ red carpet 2 mins faster/ final section- exactly 2:03.

Anomoly my arse, she complained she couldn't ride sledgehammer because a guy baulked her half way up. And she is riding a 13kg AM bike.

Congrats on some great riding to everyone but especially the girls.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do results for a 24 & 6 hour running event twice a year, so quite a bit of time spent looking at lap times etc for errors.

if you look over the times for 5765 in female Vintage (50-59) and compare with other top 4, you can see she did a strong climb for first section, so fourth against 56, 57, 58 and she was 60 minutes. next section still fourth against 19 mins, 20, 22.30 and 22.52. next section, still forth, 20 mins, 21, 22.15, 22.30.

so at last section cumulative time for first and fourth is 137.10 vs 145.53 so she needs to make up a 8 mins.43 seconds.

5765 does a final loop of 2:03:28 vs second place 2:12:24 so quicker by 8.56. wins by the lucky 13 seconds on overall times.

Last Lap Time compared to other female categories:
there were 9 riders in female Veteran (40-49) who did the final loop in under 2 hours, and another 9 in female Open (18-39), so 5765 doesn't look extraordinarily faster, just paced herself well and finished strong, endurance riding 101.

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Anomoly my arse, she complained she couldn't ride sledgehammer because a guy baulked her half way up. And she is riding a 13kg AM bike.
Errr, the 50km race didn't feature Sledgehammer - perhaps you mean "In Quads we trust"?

Congrats on some great riding to everyone but especially the girls.
It was a tough course for everyone - always good to see any girls "chicking" guys....

+1 was a few metres from the finish when a guy sitting behind her tried to sprint past - she just said "Go on you hero" and the guy slowed up :) hheheehe - thought that was pretty funny.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Also grass trees is about 7mins, which doesn't really fit into the the supposed missing time.

I did notice how easy it would have been to ride straight past that turn off though.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
According to Antsonline, I guess that makes you a sad prick like me :)
yep, sad, but do enjoy looking at stuff like this, it shows how crucial consistency is for this kind of distance racing. this is part of the beast we have to wrestle through the single track, loving it.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and have to say that was a piss weak place to put a Britney's Meltdown sign, more Britney's makeup melt.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
"In Quads We Trust" was insane, soft sand, some ruts and some smaller stepups. Well done to everyone that rode up it. Took me 4 bites to walk up the bloody thing.

RoscoeP

Likes Bikes
and have to say that was a piss weak place to put a Britney's Meltdown sign, more Britney's makeup melt.
I have agree with you there.

Actually, for me my Britney's Melt Down momennt happened on Corporate Ladder whiich was where I really started thinking only about hanging on, and began trying to listen to whether anyone else was coming up from behind.

Another good place to have put it would have been the climb out from the lake elizabeth car park - I had the obligatory "why do I CHOOSE to do this?" moment on that climb..

Overall though, had a great day and my revised training approach paid off handsomely. Less k's than last year, but probably better quality - most of my traning was built around a 23 k commute out to Bundoora along the yarra with extra Boulevard laps thrown in, but the twice weekly 10 reps up Yarra Street on my 11sp Alfine mtb tank with back pack really paid off in building strength. Then the obligatory Sunday sessions, ususally around 2h but with at least a few 4 h on or off road rides to build endurance.

Started of relatively conservatively, but just went at my own pace and made sure I drank plenty and kept my energy levels up. Pretty much every leg I managed to either move up or hold my position, and stay on the bike and managed to finish in 5:25, which is a massive PB for me (although I suspect the course was around 10-15 min faster than last year) I even managed to crack the top 10 for the vets.

So overall wrapt with the day - no mechanicals (last year had a seat rail, and my chain snap) and no falls (the shoulder still clicks from last year's race...). Even the last minute decision to ditch the handlebar extenders on the start line proved very wise, given the state of the moto downhill.

Some years things just come together - this is my 3rd Otway. Who knows what next year's will be like!

And finally, did anyone else nearly come to grief on the sharp corner where you turned onto the aqueduct at around 30-35 Km? There was no warning sign at all and I came flying around the corner said something unrepeatable and completely forgot all my mtb skills, locking up everything in a cloud of dust and gravel trying not to run straight into the gate that two kids were sitting on. They must have had a bit of amusement over the course of the morning...

Cheers,

Sherrif

stu-2

Likes Dirt
well just checked results for myself and didn't come last in single speed or my age group, i'm happy with that.. back to gears for next year, single speed didn't agree with my lower back.
Stuart.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
did anyone see the CX bike at the start with pretty fat tyres on? was wondering how he went as I have a CX bike and thought once about doing Odyssey on it, but it just can't go hard on ST without pinch flats.

anyway was reading in the cycling tips blog the CX was going ok until he got a puncture (think it was the first climbs - where I saw him) he couldn't repair tyre or put in tube, because tyre was glued on. what the @%@!!? must have been disapointing walking back to start.

Last edited:

Nath8

Likes Dirt
well just checked results for myself and didn't come last in single speed or my age group, i'm happy with that.. back to gears for next year, single speed didn't agree with my lower back.
Stuart.
Great job Stuart. I didn't come last in the single speed cat either. 2nd last:heh:
The single speed was OK, but I'll look into some suspension for next years race. I found the course this year to be really rough on the rigid. Worst than last year. It took its toll on the upper body.
I was happy enough with my time, but I'm sure I would have been quicker on a bike with front suspension.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done to all, kudos to the SS'ers.

Missed the OO this year for the first time in years but am interested in what ratios the SS'ers were running. Can you guys please post up 29'er ratios?

Again well done to all. Looked like a tough day out!

Cheers,

Coast

Last edited:

stu-2

Likes Dirt
I ended up using 32:20 still had to get off and walk to much, just not fit enough I suppose. The biggest problem I had was the heat, not used to much over 25 here in Devonport. No real problems with cramping and bettered last years time by about 90 mins

Nath8

Likes Dirt
I used 33:19 for the race. My mate used the same on his 29er and my brother-in-law used 32-16 on his 26er.

Heaps of good pics this year which is good. One of my fav's.

Attachments