Oxford falls maintenance day 28th December

unitec

Likes Dirt
Trying to rustle up interest in a maintenance day at oxford falls on 28th by which time I figure that people will have had enough Chrissy ham and would be happy to burn some calories off for a noble cause.
It would be a maintenance only day (no new stuff) which I suggest would include:-
1. Building up berms that have melted over the years
2. Fixing kickers & landers (mainly landers)
3. Pulling out the occasional rock or root that spoils a particular line
4. Improving track drainage
5. Picking up litter from car parks
Anyone that has ridden the recently restored berms would appreciate the improvements that can be made in only a couple of hours digging.
I am proposing that we start at 8 ?? & work till 12 after which I will provide shuttles to everyone that helps out until we are too tired to ride any more.
This is a good opportunity for anyone that has thought about contributing to track work but never known where to start. (We may even get some builders come & give some tips)
Tools:-Shovel pick & bucket??
Shuttles: I can fit 8 in the Tarago however if we keep it circulating I figure we could easily shuttle 16 people. Beyond that.... (who am I kidding)
Please PM me if you are interested.
Cheers

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
I'm in!, 8am sounds like a good start time.
And would you like any materials (within reason;))
Would be more than happy to help you guys.Have to say the work been done recently is great.
I probably can russle up 4-5 other dh/freeriders to help out also.
I'll be there with a Green Norco shore 2.

unitec

Likes Dirt
I'm in!, 8am sounds like a good start time.
And would you like any materials (within reason;))
Would be more than happy to help you guys.Have to say the work been done recently is great.
I probably can russle up 4-5 other dh/freeriders to help out also.
I'll be there with a Green Norco shore 2.
Great
I think we can cover most of the work with shovels, mattocks & buckets so if you can bring any/all of these it would be great. I have a bunch of tools as well if anyone can't bring any.
Will PM you to discuss details.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
The only other tool of choice would be a wheelbarrow maybe. It's not neccesary but can help a lot in certain places with carting lots of rocks/dirt around. You would also only need like 1 so no need for everyone to bring one.

Might even be able to use the one on location if any of the people "in the know" are there on the day (should be...).

I would love to come. The 28th is right on the border of when I come back from GC so I'll have to wait and see if I can make it but I am hoping to be there :)

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll try and get down there for sure!!

I haven't ridden the track for ages so it would be good to put in before I take out!

unitec

Likes Dirt
Thanks to those that have contacted me so far.
Still could do with a few more though.
Bring your Christmas cake.
Merry Christmas

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
our mate got axed at oxy today, some nice stuff in there, but some of the features are going to end up in a death or major injury...some organised building has to be worked out!
i know that mega ramp has been discussed to death, but its been changed again...some one WILL die there soon.

Lukas

Likes Dirt
our mate got axed at oxy today, some nice stuff in there, but some of the features are going to end up in a death or major injury...some organised building has to be worked out!
i know that mega ramp has been discussed to death, but its been changed again...some one WILL die there soon.
Geeeezz... whats wrong now? there is no gap, only wheelchair acces ramp... big landing ramp.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
yeah it's real nice construction and everything...in fact very pro construction, but unless you are VERY proficient at jumping on a structure like that, your going to get owned...as shown by chuckies narrow escape (in that he didnt die, but ONLY got very messed up and had to be re-suss'ed)
i shoulda taken pics but we were focused on getting our buddy down to the car...
at least there is a b-line and i like the fact there are some signs up....but it's still only a matter of time!
our mate broke his arm going over the bars on one of the very tame jumps in there, and when we dropped the ute down for the shuttle, there was a guy being picked up by his GF (she was shuttling for him, lucky bugger) and he had just been worked somewhere in there...body armour was messed up!
riding alone is pretty dumb though with a place like that, i mean if he was worse off in there, hows she gunna find him? with so many routes etc. the whole place needs some trail designations etc to make it flow/run better

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
yeah it's real nice construction and everything...in fact very pro construction, but unless you are VERY proficient at jumping on a structure like that, your going to get owned...as shown by chuckies narrow escape (in that he didnt die, but ONLY got very messed up and had to be re-suss'ed)
i shoulda taken pics but we were focused on getting our buddy down to the car...
at least there is a b-line and i like the fact there are some signs up....but it's still only a matter of time!
our mate broke his arm going over the bars on one of the very tame jumps in there, and when we dropped the ute down for the shuttle, there was a guy being picked up by his GF (she was shuttling for him, lucky bugger) and he had just been worked somewhere in there...body armour was messed up!
riding alone is pretty dumb though with a place like that, i mean if he was worse off in there, hows she gunna find him? with so many routes etc. the whole place needs some trail designations etc to make it flow/run better
Simple. If you are not experienced in big jumps, don't hit them. You take responsibility for your own actions. Wait until you are ready. There are A, B and C lines and you should choose what line you are capable of hitting.

I hope your Mate is all right though accidents can happen any where any place. I think if you ride you should accept that there are going to be times when you are going to crash and get injured especially at Oxy. I don't know, though if you don't like injuries maybe Centennial Park would be better :rolleyes:

I don't see how you can talk about 'organised building' and 'trail designations etc to make it flow/run better' at this location. I don't know how long you have been riding there though I know how much work a lot of people have put in to that place and try to make it fun and flowy for everyone of all skill levels. Bigger stunts have been there for a while and hopefully will continue to be.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Thanks

Thanks to all those who came & worked in the heat.
Not all of the work done will be obvious to riders however some solid work was done that I hope we can build on in future maintenance days.
Cheers

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Simple. If you are not experienced in big jumps, don't hit them. You take responsibility for your own actions. Wait until you are ready. There are A, B and C lines and you should choose what line you are capable of hitting.

I hope your Mate is all right though accidents can happen any where any place. I think if you ride you should accept that there are going to be times when you are going to crash and get injured especially at Oxy. I don't know, though if you don't like injuries maybe Centennial Park would be better :rolleyes:

I don't see how you can talk about 'organised building' and 'trail designations etc to make it flow/run better' at this location. I don't know how long you have been riding there though I know how much work a lot of people have put in to that place and try to make it fun and flowy for everyone of all skill levels. Bigger stunts have been there for a while and hopefully will continue to be.
DW, im not saying the tracks dont have flow, im just saying if there were more signs like those on the mega jump, along the whole trail...giving you a better idea on the fly of whats ahead or where you could go...that iit would improve on whats there.
im not into doing stuff like that on my bike...
#1 dont have the guts
#2 bike would snap
#3 i go bigger on my snowboard...with less chance of being hospitalised and never riding again.
i am not a hucker...i prefer technical decents, rockgardens, single trail with NS and drops.
all im doing is showing concern that a fellow rider is at some point gonna come unstuck in a big way there.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
DW, im not saying the tracks dont have flow, im just saying if there were more signs like those on the mega jump, along the whole trail...giving you a better idea on the fly of whats ahead or where you could go...that iit would improve on whats there.
#1 dont have the guts
#2 bike would snap
#3 i go bigger on my snowboard...with less chance of being hospitalised and never riding again.
i am not a hucker...i prefer technical decents, rockgardens, single trail with NS and drops.
all im doing is showing concern that a fellow rider is at some point gonna come unstuck in a big way there.
Fair call mate, maybe i sign stating the difficulty of that new jump or closed off like stromlo when not being used,it although being extremely well built, is without a doubt, just for an elite few.

unitec

Likes Dirt
#1 dont have the guts
#2 bike would snap
Signs may have some value however as all the builders & regular riders know the place like the back of their hand there seems no point for these people to go to the effort of preparing such signs.
Perhaps you could draft some up & bring them to the next maintenance day.
Alternatively you could just put them up. Sometimes with volunteering you just have to step up to the plate & have a go.
One of the benefits of organised maintenance days is that you get to meet other riders with a stake in the track and can discuss this type of thing face to face.
I am hoping that after a few more of these maintenance days we will not only have a better track but a more coherent Oxford Falls MTB community.

taibo

Eats Squid
thanks to all the builders and guys who look after oxy!
a mate and i hit it up today and were very impressed with the work done!
the last time we rode it was probably 3 months ago and it has come a very long way!
Well done and thanks for your hard work!

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Agree that signs are often useful but nowhere near as good as rule number 1 when riding a new trail.... always scope out lines before hitting them. Quite frankly hitting new lines blind is an accident waiting to happen