Packless MTB

betadine

Likes Bikes
Hi there Burners,

I have always ridden with a backpack as I hate breaking down and not having what I need but on Saturday when I got to the bike trail I realised I left my pack behind. After getting over the initial panic I loved the freedom of not having it and it was definitely kinder to my back. So now keen to get rid of the pack but want to make sure I am prepared for flats, broken chains, etc.

Thinking I'll go with something like the Back country Research strap to hold spare tube and CO2 and then have one of the on board multitools. Am considering the Granite stash or the oneup EDC (V1 or V2). I'm OK to thread the steerer if I need. Has anyone had experience with both of these? Any issues with loose headsets, rattles etc?

Cheers

Betadine

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi there Burners,

I have always ridden with a backpack as I hate breaking down and not having what I need but on Saturday when I got to the bike trail I realised I left my pack behind. After getting over the initial panic I loved the freedom of not having it and it was definitely kinder to my back. So now keen to get rid of the pack but want to make sure I am prepared for flats, broken chains, etc.

Thinking I'll go with something like the Back country Research strap to hold spare tube and CO2 and then have one of the on board multitools. Am considering the Granite stash or the oneup EDC (V1 or V2). I'm OK to thread the steerer if I need. Has anyone had experience with both of these? Any issues with loose headsets, rattles etc?

Cheers

Betadine
I live in the tropics and I find a Henty Enduro 2.0 very comfortable to wear. It's essentially a hip pack with mesh webbing to stop is from jumping around.

If you don't want anything at all on your body then this article will be useful to you - https://nsmb.com/articles/lugging-about-sometimes-tools/

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
to hold spare tube and CO2 and then have one of the on board multitools
If this is all you need to carry, then yes. Works great. Do it.

I found on longer rides I wouldn't have enough space to store my crap on the bike without looking like a bikepacker. So added a Dakine bum bag that's used now for snacks, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. Most importantly, can carry an extra water bottle when the frame only fits one. Works good for me - YMMV.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I also carry bug spray and a first aid kit in mine as well as water, tyre pressure gauge, Stans DART, mini-pump, multi-tools and snacks.

Inner tube and levers sit on the frame.

moorey

call me Mia
Henty is a ton more comfy than a backpack for sure...and I've tried many backpacks.

That said, when my bike allows it, I still prefer strapping everything onto the frame and going commando if I don't have to carry more than one water bottle.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I carry all the tools on the bike - OneUp multitool in the steerer with quicklink + some zipties stashed in the little container, CO2/inflator/Dynaplug/ Tubolito tube on a carrier plate mounted under the top tube. Enough to get out of the usual minor troubles. Have to say, the EDC is expensive for what it is - the tool is well built & has some nice features, but it doesn't have the same functionality as the more classic multitools & is more expensive. It's great just having it there when you need it though, and has saved me a long walk a few times now.

If i'm carrying food/jacket, gopro gear, mini first aid kit or extra tools (most longer rides, Derby/Maydena days etc) i'll take a Dakine Hot Laps waist pack. Cheap, light & comfy so long as you're not cramming it full of heavy stuff, I forget it's there most of the time.

nelsti

Likes Bikes
I like to run packless on both my bikes, one with One Up EDC/Threadless Carrier and the other with a Granite Designs and a One Up Lite tool mix.

I like that the treadless carrier setup has everything in one place, and then I just strap the spare tube + CO2 to the frame. The Granite design set-up has me spreading everything throughout the cockpit.

Both seem about the same quality. If I had to do it again I'd go with whatever is on special or is in stock.

Last edited:

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I actually like my Camelback just for water, tube, keys and phone, the rest living in a "tool bottle" that goes in my water bottle mount.

If I changed from the Camelbak, it'd be a Henty all the way. I've tried them on before and they are amazing.

karl_eller

Likes Bikes
It's not quite packless, but I've swapped from a backpack to a waist bag for rides where I don't need the hydration pack, and I love it. Spare tube and pump are strapped to the bike, and the rest of my tools, snacks, etc, are in the bum bag. Even with a spare 600ml water bottle on the belt, I barely notice it's there, it doesn't move around much, and the weight is much lower down on my body than a backpack.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I go packless for all rides under 2hrs. I two have a Henty pack for when I need a bit more water or storage.
I have a OneUp pump with multi tool that is permanently on my bike and a tube and levers strapped to my bike on longer rides.
I do have a Camelback but I haven't used it on the bike for ages and it would be some big all day epic if I did use it.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I go packless for all rides under 2hrs. I two have a Henty pack for when I need a bit more water or storage.
I have a OneUp pump with multi tool that is permanently on my bike and a tube and levers strapped to my bike on longer rides.
I do have a Camelback but I haven't used it on the bike for ages and it would be some big all day epic if I did use it.
I’m similar - Henty for longer rides but for short rides I strap a tube CO2 and tyre levers to the frame and have an EDC lite sitting in my steerer tube.

I have to say the EDC lite is one of the best things ever. I love having the tool right there and so accessible. Even when I have my pack on with full Parl Tools multi-tool, I still reach for the EDC for quick tweaks and adjustments.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Considering a bar end bar end tool kit thing. But I hate clamps on the end of the bars as I run my hands out real wide and a clamp ring just annoys me. Do these bar end tool kits have a hard end you can feel?

moorey

call me Mia
Considering a bar end bar end tool kit thing. But I hate clamps on the end of the bars as I run my hands out real wide and a clamp ring just annoys me. Do these bar end tool kits have a hard end you can feel?
Without reading back.....crank and steerer options don't work?