Packless MTB

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
@HamboCairns not challenging the need, just curious because I've often found that mates who carry packs load them up with so much stuff because they have the pack and they can, and then they say "well I can't ride without a pack because how else would I carry my spare pair of socks and and my portable wheel truing stand?"
I'm absolutely not taking that way either!

First aid kit - I like to be prepared
Bug spray - I could try remembering to put this on before I leave!
Stans DART - Essential
Tyre pressure gauge - I ride to the trails so I pump the tyres up before and then let out air at the trails.
Mini-pump - Essential, can't be arsed with CO2
Magic links - Essential
Water bladder - 1.5l minimum for a 1.5hr ride
Multi-tool - Essential but I could try and put this on the Granite strap.
Snacks - Muesli bar. Most of my riding is around 7am so nothing heavy here.

So all in all, I could drop the Tyre pressure gauge (if I drive) and bug spray.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yeah agreed but it’s a risk analysis thing - type of trails being ridden, relative isolation relative to a) civilisation or b) other riders etc etc.

Maybe I’m being flippant but outside of snakebite there’s not heaps you’ll encounter in MTB that’s serious enough to require immediate attention but also minor enough that a mini first aid kit will actually be particularly useful.
We ride with a snake bike kit due to our proximity from help. I have to say though that there's been many times I've been glad we've even had basic first aid. But again a lot of our riding is in quite isolated areas with no phone serve. Fuck you Telstra. And every other provider that claims 95% coverage.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah definitely, and if I'm on a ride where I'm wearing the hip pack for other reasons (long ride, need an extra bottle and a jacket etc) then a roll of bandage goes in too, but I don't count it as an essential, and a torn piece of jersey will do the job the rest of the time.

@HamboCairns not challenging the need, just curious because I've often found that mates who carry packs load them up with so much stuff because they have the pack and they can, and then they say "well I can't ride without a pack because how else would I carry my spare pair of socks and and my portable wheel truing stand?"
Yep. And truth is if I’m doing shuttles or winch and plummet runs somewhere where I usually ride past my car each run it generally stays in the car. So not much use in there.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
We ride with a snake bike kit due to our proximity from help. I have to say though that there's been many times I've been glad we've even had basic first aid. But again a lot of our riding is in quite isolated areas with no phone serve. Fuck you Telstra. And every other provider that claims 95% coverage.
Find one with 100% and you're set! Do Telstra do satellite phones?

DMan

Find one with 100% and you're set! Do Telstra do satellite phones?
It will be delivered by a rainbow unicorn then. I had a Sat phone a few years ago actually when I was solo riding all the time. Cheap investment. We're looking at some of the Garmin GPS tracker stuff now.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
It will be delivered by a rainbow unicorn then. I had a Sat phone a few years ago actually when I was solo riding all the time. Cheap investment. We're looking at some of the Garmin GPS tracker stuff now.
A fair percentage of my riding is solo, at night and remote (out of mobile phone service) so I carry a Garmin inReach Mini. I hope that I never have to use it in anger and I know it's not going to get me out of every scenario but I'm certain I'll be glad of it on the one in a million incident that it does get used.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh yep I also carry at least a snake bite bandage in summer which is big enough to need a hip pack for most rides. Plenty of danger noodles around down here in Tassie, really don't want to get caught out.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Tyre pressure gauge - Jam thumb in the sideblocks and get it close enough by feel.
Mini-pump - Large OneUp pump mounted to frame.
Multi-tool - Fits inside OneUp EDC inside the pump
Magic links - Also Fit inside OneUp EDC
Stans DART - Swap to bacon strips and a jabber and house it inside the OneUp EDC storage capsule inside the pump

Leaving in the pack:
Water bladder - 1.5l minimum for a 1.5hr ride
Snacks - Muesli bar. Most of my riding is around 7am so nothing heavy here.
FIFY

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sub 1.5hr rides:
  • big fabric bottle
  • tube and tire levers in a granite strap under top tube
  • topeak racerocket mini pump under bottle cage
  • effeta mariposa tire plugs in the bottom bracket hole
  • car key and tiny multi tool in back zip pocket of shorts
  • phone in shorts pocket

DMan

Around here, Telstra covers like 95% of population. Unfortunately that’s only a small % of the geography.
Exactly. At least they have excellent service in the city with a dozen different providers. But fair enough. Influencers are entitled to super fast speeds.

moorey

call me Mia
Exactly. At least they have excellent service in the city with a dozen different providers. But fair enough. Influencers are entitled to super fast speeds.
Don’t forget the small coastal towns where the rich go to avoid lockdown.

DMan

Sub 1.5hr rides:
  • big fabric bottle
  • tube and tire levers in a granite strap under top tube
  • topeak racerocket mini pump under bottle cage
  • effeta mariposa tire plugs in the bottom bracket hole
  • car key and tiny multi tool in back zip pocket of shorts
  • phone in shorts pocket
Would it be easy to just run a cool chaos bag by the time you stuff everything everywhere?

DMan

Nope. Just appreciate a well-designed and practical product.

If you prefer carrying loose tools in a backpack and have them take up more space, good luck to you.
Where do I carrying my 2 rolls of toilet paper and magazines without my backpack then smartie?