Parks 2025: Southern Flinders Ranges- Melrose SA $10M

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
With the missus and kids not going up, is the house listed on Airbnb yet @ozzybmx
I use it every 2-3 weeks, got all my stuff there already. Toothbrush in the bathroom, my towels, bed is made, food in the cupboards.
Turning up with a bike and some clothes with no hassle works for me.
As long as it's going up in price by more than it's costing me, it won't be rented.
Probably 10yrs ahead right now :cool:

ozzybmx

Very Remarkable! :cool:
It definitely is.

Getting warm up there though. Got a few mates that are keen to head up soon, just need to pick the right weekend.

I know a few heading up tomorrow afternoon :oops: that will not be pleasant. I've spent my fair share of time up there 35°C+ and even the town trails elevation is near impossible in that heat. Port Augusta is 43°C tomorrow then a sea breeze cools it down to high 20's. Hopefully up the mountain gets some of that breeze.

jfghjghfhgfdk.jpg

ozzybmx

Best to wait till late Feb from now
I'll be up in the next week or two but I probably wont be knocking out an 'epic' loop. Could be done pretty easily by ebike, 3L Hyd pack and 750ml frozen bottle on the bike.

I hope people don't take the exposure of this trail lightly during the warmer months.

I've run a few routes of getting out since breaking down at the halfway mark where I did and its a 6km walk to Gibraltar rock, shortcutting on Blieschke rd to near Greys Hut, then down 'Granny Greys' then a further 5km back to town by road if no one has been able to get to you at Hills Track with a vehicle.

ozzybmx

If I get a cooler weekend soon, I may do a bit of an explore into escape routes. Spring Creek Mine rd, South of Mungola Hut would shorten the walk out by 1km if it passible.

jkhjkhjjjjh.jpg

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, appreciate the info already posted here and im absolutely hanging to get out to ride the new Epic trail.

First week of Dec im heading from Melb to Qld with the caravan and with the announcement of the opening of this one im pondering taking a slight 1000km detour and going from Melb to Melrose then across NSW to the GoldCoast to meet the family…

I did wonder about the temps expecting its going to be Hot… and now ive seen the recent comments and again now im wondering if im totally dreaming but i feel like if i dont get out there now it might be a year or two before i get another chance.

At this stage my plan would be to hit the road Friday night and drive for 3-4hours then drive the rest of the way Sat, maybe have a little ride around Sat arvo / evening (ive never been to Melrose before).

Stay in Melrose Sat night then ride the Epic Sun morning then hit the road again in the arvo once ive finished riding.

Given the expected temps, i was thinking maybe i should aim to ride the North face trail in the dark and Summit around sunrise etc?

What do you guys think, am i dreaming or fark yeh!? If i get North face out of the way in the dark i should knock the rest out before its stinking hot?

I dont mind the heat, have ridden all of the Alice trails solo and in the heat, same for Darwin. Have done a lot of night riding over the years too inc solo Buller Epic overnight etc.

What do you guys think, original plan was just to cruise up the coast and stop in at a few places in NSW to ride before arriving in the Gold coast but im really drawn to this trail.

Travis.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Anything is possible, and your night climb plan would be best. But put your logical brain in for a moment and realise this is not a good idea. Much better to ride the Yack epic on your way up the coast, and save the Melrose epic for 2 or 3 years down the track, when you can visit at a more comfortable time and really experience everything the area has to offer. To just ride the epic, and miss out on the other trails, not to mention other aspects of the Flinders Ranges would really be doing yourself a great disservice.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Thanks Rockmoose, 100% going 1000km in the wrong direction before heading to Qld isnt very logical. My wifes says how good could one ride be??

i think it could be, would be worth it ;)

Have done the Indego epic already, didnt live up to the hype at all imo - fun trails but really no different to what was already at Yak, and no tech. On epic rides i really feel like I value the area more over the trail itself, and looking at the Mt Remarkable area and knowing the flinders i feel like it will be absolutely amazing, a really special area?

Ive visited most of the Flinders / Arkaroola area before. Ood. Simpson etc. Hence probably be a year or two before id get the family back out this way, realistically even longer.

100% agree tho as id love to ride all of the trails around Melrose but doubt ill get the time ever anyways at one time. It will just be somewhere i can call passed for 1 day if im lucky.

Have ridden lots of the south coast trails, if i just go more directly to Qld from home id be looking at potentially the Wollongong area and beyond. But only really just whatever trails might happen to be at the town end up stopping at the end of the day. There’s so many networks on Trailforks tho its very overwhelming trying to know where to try and aim for.

The real dream killer is just the temps, riding in the dark will be fun too but what scenery will i miss on the way up etc

Travis.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
There are spectacular views from North face and if it's your only exposure to Melrose then I wouldn't recommend riding it in the dark.
That being said, sunrise as you ride would be awesome so perhaps leave just before daybreak?
It really all depends on the forecast for that particular day.
If you're riding solo, I'd highly recommend having a spot tracker or other remote comms device and 100% let loved ones know if your planned route and expected return.
A major off out there in the back country is a 4hr rescue at a minimum, after the call is placed.

ozzybmx

Bridge closed... for good.

Just got back, stinking hot up there today, we got a message this morning that a branch had fallen on a bridge, the people at the brewery heard it and went to investigate.

Strangely enough, the fiberglass mesh flooring is completely undamaged but the bridge is farked.

We spent yesterday afternoon cutting 5 trees off the trails, then this fell today :rolleyes:

Must be 4-6 ton in the branch and it fell from 10m... also had a massive bee hive inside it, they are not amused. I got stung on the armpit while looking at the damage.

420053901_894184932176777_8542634153199913878_n.jpg

419977013_883339319925362_5710271521297285542_n.jpg