Paterson Kona 24 Hour - May 21/22, 2011.

Greg882

Likes Bikes
WOW... what a weekend...
Thanks to Ross and the crew you did an awesome job at putting it together WELL DONE..!!

The track got even better as the event went on, Sliding into the turns of the dual track was so GOOD..!!

Can of concrete was well and truly needed to drag myself into work this morning..!!!

DJTatts

Squid
Great weekend. Thanks Ross and HMBA!
10 times up the hill = very sore legs legs.
10 times down the hill = very sore mouth (from very large grin)
Super D sounds like a great idea to me!!

orphic

Likes Bikes
Thanks a million to everyone involved in putting all of this together, especially Mr and Mrs Pi11wizard. Not only for the preparation work and being around here to answer all of our questions in the lead up, but for your encouragement/support and random chain lubing during the race!

It was certainly a tough course to do my first solo 24 on (who's idea was that?!) but I'm very glad I did. The track definitely got better by morning which helped to push through injury (not sure if this was a good or bad thing) and do a some solid hours of lapping with an ear to ear grin. The vibe out on track and in transition was super encouraging throughout the morning too.

I'll be back next year for sure!

shineslike

Likes Bikes
I have no idea what Ross is going to do with his time now... hopefully you can all get him back on his bike a bit more, because I'm pretty sure there's no way he could have done 24hrs at Pato (actually... so far no one has managed to go a full 24 hours on that course... sounds like a challenge for next year!).

actually, looking at the results, i think i have to correct myself, because i am pretty sure a couple of the guys did manage to drag themselves around that track the whole time. mightily impressed!!! i think any solos who kept going for the whole 24 hours get a special mention.

and to everyone who keeps thanking me, i really did very little. all the guys who worked for months on the trail, and on putting the event together deserve all the thanks and applause, because they are the ones who did a massive amount of work. and it showed.

but onto bigger and better things next year. ross and i have been out on track this morning checking it out, and already he has been finding new bits of potential trail to sketch out.

shineslike

Likes Bikes
I have no idea what Ross is going to do with his time now... hopefully you can all get him back on his bike a bit more, because I'm pretty sure there's no way he could have done 24hrs at Pato (actually... so far no one has managed to go a full 24 hours on that course... sounds like a challenge for next year!).
oops - that bit was obviously meant to be a quote...

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
See you next tuesday hill

Sooooooo: How does everyone feel about Tuesday hill? I am in two frames of mind as to whether it should stay or go. While it is a bastard of a climb, it also brings a serious challenge to the course which some riders really seemed to revel in. Others just wanted to beat me to death with a seat post.

Who thinks it should stay and who thinks it should go? (assuming I can find some kind of way to switchback it.)

PS: I saw a couple of images from Marathon photos today - STUNNING! They are post processing them now so keep an eye open.

PPS: Thanks everyone for a very special weekend.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Sooooooo: How does everyone feel about Tuesday hill? I am in two frames of mind as to whether it should stay or go. While it is a bastard of a climb, it also brings a serious challenge to the course which some riders really seemed to revel in. Others just wanted to beat me to death with a seat post.

Who thinks it should stay and who thinks it should go? (assuming I can find some kind of way to switchback it.)

PS: I saw a couple of images from Marathon photos today - STUNNING! They are post processing them now so keep an eye open.

Tuesday hill has to stay.

I actually think the whole course could stay as is.

In the crew of blokes I was with (10) only a few rode Tuesday hill every lap, but I don't think any would want it taken out.

The first block switchback might need a bit of maintainance. A few other bits looked like there were starting to lose some of the supporting rocks on the downside of the track.

But give the course another year and then perhaps make some changes for variety. As it is, all the competitors can brag about being the first to conquer Paterson's Curse and the same course can be an attraction for next year. Build the numbers and then make some changes fro variety a few years down the track. I like courses that are relatively the same each year.

The first time I rode the course a few months ago I thought it couldn't possibly be used for a 24 hour course. But the addition of the top loop which is fantastic really adds a lot and the course has a bit of everything.

The course doesn't favour any one particular kind of rider.

I'm not sure if it's a great thing or a bad thing, but the fact you finish with downhill and flat sections doesn't make it seem as difficult as it is - imagine finishing each lap at the top - you'd never do another lap! But by the time you've finished you want to do it again.

Great job.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt

Tuesday Hill should stay... but if you really want to mess with people then change the sign throughout the race to Wednesday Hill, then Thursday Hill ... I mean it takes so long to get up there I figured it must be Saturday hill by the end of the race! :p

In all seriousness I think it should stay. There's more than enough single track climbing after Tuesday hill to keep us on our toes. It might be steep but at least it's technically easy and just a grind, which is a nice break from the concentration required for the rest of the course. Plus it provides good passing opportunity and a chance to see the people coming down the descent.

I agree with Bushranger, the first Tina berm needs some love - the lead in got a bit messy and channeled you in so that you were on the inside of the corner. Just the sandiness in that area means the track got a bit loose and eroded. But the rest is awesome.

I also questioned the suitability of the track for a 24hr after riding it at the 3hr HMBA round but the addition of the top section, and the alteration of a rock or two on the descent made it brilliant. I have to say it's one of the most fun 24hrs I've ever ridden in.

longxc

Likes Bikes
'A' line

Why not make it an 'A' line and have a longer 'B' line of switchbacks or something of the sorts?
Then the teams and 6x6ers can smash it up the 'A' line and us solo's can smash it for the first 6hrs the drag our tiredness up the 'B' line for the next 18hrs. ;)

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Why not make it an 'A' line and have a longer 'B' line of switchbacks or something of the sorts?
Then the teams and 6x6ers can smash it up the 'A' line and us solo's can smash it for the first 6hrs the drag our tiredness up the 'B' line for the next 18hrs. ;)
I take your point, but I am personally not a supporter of lots of tracks being made. The less damage we do the better. I know it is farming land, but still you don't want the landscape to be any more damaged than required.

orphic

Likes Bikes
Agree that Tuesday hill should stay. I didn't really mind grinding up it lap after lap. Ok maybe I did at the time, but it certainly made the rest of it that much sweeter.

My major problems came about from the Tina berm, so that's the only part I would say needed some work! I gave up on trying to ride it as it just caused to much anxiety about crashing. But I am also severely lacking in skills. Also found the bit after it where you drop down onto the firetrail and hook around the the right a little awkward.

All rad otherwise! Will you guys be running anymore 3hrs or anything up that way? Would love to be able to go back and ride it all a bit faster instead of with that 'i have to ride for 24 hours' mentality and pace.

Meant to ask who came up with the design and made the trophies? They are really cool!

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I hate Tuesday Hill... but it has to stay because now it is my arch-nemesis and I am so looking forward to kicking it's butt all the way to Wednesday next year.

HaroHardtail

Cannon Fodder
Thumbs Up

Was the best event, great vibe on and off course. Lot more respect out on course than you got at the Mont this year.

The trails were tough but fair, keep Tuesday Hill, a B line around Tinas would have been good. Did get sick of bashing cranks and pedals on rocks in some sections. Looking forward to seeing how the trails progress for next year.

Enduro Pulse

Likes Dirt
Video

Nicely done. I had a great time and although the climbs beat the crap out of me this time I'll definitely be back. I love that challenge!

I'm just putting the final touches on a video and will have it online later today. (you may have seen me running around with the helmet cam!)

Great effort by all involved in getting this event off the ground.