Pay to watch "Free"caster?

pyrop

Likes Bikes
Mine started fine then after a couple of minutes it all went to shit & like a lot of others. I had to keep refreshing & I would only get a few seconds of footage most of the time with the occasional minute or so but that was rare.
I checked my internet speed at one of those test sites & I had 3mbs which is heaps enough.
About halfway through I started playing with IE settings & once I added freecaster as a trusted site IE automatically opened freecaster in a new tab, I closed the old one, put my code in again and I never had a problem for the rest of the coverage...

internet options > security tab > click on trusted sites > then click "sites" > add http://*.freecaster.tv > uncheck the bit about https & your done

Not a guarantee but worth a try.
Mind you what I watched of the rd1 xc race worked fine for me as did the Maribor 4X on Saturday night.

intenselife

Likes Dirt
My feed was shithouse. Worse than any other year.
At first I couldn't log on and kept getting some internal server error. I'm guessing there servers couldn't handle the amount of people trying to watch. Then once on screen kept going to the maribor home screen and played audio only.

On speedtest my download is 13.94mb/s and ping 61ms.
So I don't think it was anything to do with my internet.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For $2.75 it was awesome .. Only watched the top twenty , only had one freeze . The only beef i have was the commentary , that was shit ..

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my live feed was pretty crappy but I just finished watching the replay and it was perfect. F#*k gee was fast through the rock garden.
Hopefully next round runs smoother:)

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
I am not going to bother going through the hundred or so posts here but here's my 2 cents...

Freecaster have a great set-up, I have talked to soem of the filmers and organisers at World Champs, and a lot more effort than you may realise goes into the live feeds.
I think paying $3 or what ever it is, is more than reasonable. I know myself that filming, even on a very small scale can be very costly, time consuming and takes a lot of hardwork and effort. So just think about the big picture, you are helping to support a cause that has been kind enough to offer professional services in the past for free, so maybe it's time to be a litttle lenient.

From what I hear from the people that payed, it ran very smoothly and was a great feed.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
What? Haven't you read the complaints ? Thousands of people paid and got shit. Including me.
Haven't you just read my lost post, maybe if you did you would understand where I'm coming from and what my basis of posting was on.
Maybe the fault is due to your internet connection and computer? All my mates who I have asked said it was flawless.
I suppose if they are having that much trouble they will have a low bandwidth feed for next round.

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
I'm not complaining about paying at all - I'm willing to support the guys putting this together, but if it's not going to work on a lot of people's computers it 's not a good situation.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Still no replay......."invalid transaction".
Yeah yeah yeah, it used to be free and now you have to pay, whatever. If this is a service you have to pay for then it damn well should work. The fucking replay doesn't even work! Shit house so far...........:mad:

scblack

Leucocholic
Still no replay......."invalid transaction".
Yeah yeah yeah, it used to be free and now you have to pay, whatever. If this is a service you have to pay for then it damn well should work. The fucking replay doesn't even work! Shit house so far...........:mad:
I could not even get to the point where you pay, and I have heard of others the same.

Pretty crappy.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
During the broadcast of the 4x they mentioned that they're hoping to work out an agreement with a sponsor and have it free again before the next round. Did anyone else hear that?

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
I paid via Paypal and had a couple of issues with it freezing. No major drama really, I'd pay again for the next round. It can only improve with time as the money allows improvements to Freecasters equipment etc. I can imagine that without a sponsor its incredibly expensive to run their set up.

Honestly, we think nothing of dropping many thousands on our bikes and a lot of us spend hundreds a year on magazines and DVD's, but we're all whinging like bitches about $2.50 to watch the World Cup rounds live (processing payment issues aside, like Dozer and scblack, thats a bit of an issue especially if it was deducted from your accounts).

Stick with it guys, it has the potential to be really special. All it needs is a bit of patience and we'll be golden.:)

Ivan

Eats Squid
During the broadcast of the 4x they mentioned that they're hoping to work out an agreement with a sponsor and have it free again before the next round. Did anyone else hear that?
I did hear, who i thought was Martin Whitely, say that the teams where looking into how they could pay for the broadcast to be free.

BTW, my broadcast was shithouse. All I could get was audio most of the time, with the occasional 10-20 seconds of footage. I have previously watched and it has always been fine.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Why do some people get a great feed (like me) and others a crap feed???? is it all Freecasters fault?
Well yes and no. They were having issues with the the net in Maribor. That won't help.
Their new software is what's at question. I found it to be alright towards the end of the coverage.

What it all depends on is YOUR net speed and what you're doing at the time. If you're downloading, surfing the net etc at the same time, that will impact it. I was watchng it over wireless full screen on my 46" LCD. The only way to roll!:D

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Yes, I just read it on vitalmtb.com - the IMTTO (International Mountain Bike Trade Team Organisation) is now sponsoring Freecaster. The only pay event will be the Worlds. There was talk of Freecaster folding completely so I'm sure glad a bike industry organisation has stepped in to save it. I hope the broadcast improves, but even if I have to refresh the fecking thing every 5 minutes I'll still be watching.

indica

Serial flasher
If you're going to pay , do it asap. I'll pay , but if it's a shit feed I'll be disappointed....and not really surprised given my experience so far this season.
Done, thanks for the heads up.
Cost $7.32

I have never had anything but great coverage, cameras all down the course will be fucken great.