Pay to watch "Free"caster?

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
http://freecaster.tv/blog/39/en/uci-mtb-world-cup-2010-a-new-season-a-new-way-to-watch

Freecaster are putting their previously free live coverage of the World Cups as a pay per view for the 2010 season. It also seems that they are going to enforce their exclusive coverage rights for the World Cups which will see Dirt TV and others banned from filming their race clips.

I'm not sure this is the right way to do things, but we'll see how it pans out.

Will you pay to watch the World Cups?

There is also an interesting discussion including comments from Freecaster in this Ridemonkey Thread.

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For a reliable feed... I would pay.. But, last season there were plenty of races that didn't go smoothly for me. :(

Ivan

Eats Squid
If it is a reliable feed, then I would be more than happy to pay.

Before Freecaster, there was nothing. Then Freecaster came along and gave us something we had never had before, and they did it for no charge.

If paying to watch imporves the service and puts money back into WC Downhill racing, then sign me up.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are not asking too much I don't think (25 bucks for a 7 DH race season) but I would want to see more than just 40 seconds of a 3+ minute run, a slow replay after each captured section then off to the next riders run. More cameras and action and I would tune in for a few races at least.
I also think replays should be cheaper on their own and with unlimited replays for viewers of the live events.

btw just read 4X will stay free.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
As already said, for a reliable feed, I would. But to see about 20sec of a riders run, if you're lucky is not worth paying for. The freezes that ALWAYS cut in would make it not worth paying for.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
They have a new, more reliable player apparently. I'd pay I guess, but my concern is really that the other videographers will be excluded. Those Dirt and Litter vids were great, they added colour to the events and looked at things from different perspectives.

Another big problem I have is that there are far too few cameras on course and this is something that Freecaster has no control over, its the UCI who places the cameras. I'll pay for the 1st DH event and decide from there whether its worth it or not. But if it sucks and other filmers are excluded the window to see features on the WC will become very small indeed.

At least we still have Warner I suppose.:)

downhiller guy

Likes Bikes
I wouldn't pay to watch it if its gonna do to the same freeze here freeze there. But if it doesn't freeze at all and they have more cameras on filed to cover more action than i might pay to watch.

Do we know how they are planning on making us pay?. Like a once of fee for the season and than when the next season starts you gotta pay again for that season?. Or is it going to be a pay to watch each round of the world cup?.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id pay a small amount (<$40) if they could get a better stream going. It shits me to tears having it pause, skip, freeze all the time. And most of the time miss out on most of the race.

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't pay to watch it if its gonna do to the same freeze here freeze there. But if it doesn't freeze at all and they have more cameras on filed to cover more action than i might pay to watch.

Do we know how they are planning on making us pay?. Like a once of fee for the season and than when the next season starts you gotta pay again for that season?. Or is it going to be a pay to watch each round of the world cup?.
Read the Ridemonkey thread linked in the OP. It explains it all. ;)

No guarantee it will even be available to AUS yet if they go with the SMS payment option although they are looking at other payment methods (ie. Paypal, season pass, etc).

If I read right there's only 3 guys running the WC Freecaster shows. Not bad for a small crew like that.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I'd pay, I quite enjoy gathering a few mates, having a few brews and yelling at the top riders to let go of their brakes. Besides, the more people that pay the more reliable the footage gets. We should expect this to grow quite quickly if it gets good support.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'd pay if i knew the dough was going toward an improved telecast, re all those stated above. If it's not, and at the exclusion of others like dirt, then i think it would be a step backwards. it would decrease coverage and ruin the excellent reputation those guys have. "He's on a rampage like a dog with 2 dicks!!" All time classic

indica

Serial flasher
No guarantee it will even be available to AUS yet if they go with the SMS payment option although they are looking at other payment methods (ie. Paypal, season pass, etc).
SMS will be available in Aus, I emailed them today and they said yes.

Ill happily pay, stream was always fine for me, and if paying ensures they can upgrade and continue then why not? Not going to cost much at all really.

Raymond Dulieu said:
SMS will work in Asutralia. We're also looking to integrate PayPal as of next week. Thank you for your support. We look forward to a great season

Ivan

Eats Squid
SMS will be available in Aus, I emailed them today and they said yes.
That's good to hear. It will make things super easy. These guys do an awesome job, and are probably responsible to some degree in the surge of interest in racing again. :cool: