Pedestrian Problems

gizza666

Likes Bikes
On the local offroad trail, pedestrians keep trying to stop us from riding our bikes as they claim were out off control. Now they have even started putting logs in track to make us fall off our bikes. Does anyone know what to do except taking the logs off and getting the pedestrians to stop standing in the way when were riding past????

wertmewert

Likes Dirt
Hey,

Other then plow right over them? :rolleyes:
I have seen this at my local tracks to. On the shared tracks where we are supposed to both go on. My friend says he broke his arm from one of these logs. It's a hard thing because most of the rangers like walkers alot more then riders. Aparently some tracks even get wires put across tree's for the extremely unlucky rider. Just hope it dosn't get to that.

Brain wave....Make jumps over the logs! They can't get angry at you for building them there because they put them there in the first place. If they get angry at you saying you shouldn't build stuff, well the walkers put the logs there and you were only making a solution to the problem. This is a true statment.

Cheers

Last edited:

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
How about pulling over and giving some respect to the walkers.

Say hi, give them space and earn some respect in doing so.

Riding doesn't have to be an us V's them thing with walkers. Show some respect and you will get it.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you see a moto ripping round on a legal trail that your riding, bets on you look on in disgust, right? Same thing is happening with the hikers. They dont understand, show some respect rather than ripping past them at 40km/h.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
On the local offroad trail, pedestrians keep trying to stop us from riding our bikes as they claim were out off control. Now they have even started putting logs in track to make us fall off our bikes. Does anyone know what to do except taking the logs off and getting the pedestrians to stop standing in the way when were riding past????
Geez dude, it's pretty simple. You come close to pedestrians, you RIDE SLOW. What are you doing? 'Buzzing their towers' or something?

Give the upmost respect to walkers/hikers/pedestrians because they are the #1 force that can get MTB shut down.

It takes nothing to be a punk. It takes a lot more strength and effort to do the nice, courteous thing and be friendly.

Just how do you ride past these people? Full speed? Whaddya think is gonna happen? They're going to frickin' HATE you and thereby HATE the whole MTB community! :mad:

gizza666

Likes Bikes
Brain wave....Make jumps over the logs! They can't get angry at you for building them there because they put them there in the first place. If they get angry at you saying you shouldn't build stuff, well the walkers put the logs there and you were only making a solution to the problem. This is a true statment.

Cheers
Yeah I have started building jumps over them aswell as berms so we can go faster.:D

gizza666

Likes Bikes
Geez dude, it's pretty simple. You come close to pedestrians, you RIDE SLOW. What are you doing? 'Buzzing their towers' or something?

Give the upmost respect to walkers/hikers/pedestrians because they are the #1 force that can get MTB shut down.

It takes nothing to be a punk. It takes a lot more strength and effort to do the nice, courteous thing and be friendly.

Just how do you ride past these people? Full speed? Whaddya think is gonna happen? They're going to frickin' HATE you and thereby HATE the whole MTB community! :mad:
I also have been doing that aswell and they stop and moan at me. so I have given up.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
I also have been doing that aswell and they stop and moan at me. so I have given up.
Dude, if they moan and groan, they moan and groan. We just gotta put up with it. By going on the offensive and making it worse, you effectively giving them encouragement and ammunition to ban ALL MTB from the area. That doesn't mean just you, but all of us!

No wonder MTB gets a bad rap among the average populace.

Please think about what long term effects your actions have...

gizza666

Likes Bikes
Dude, if they moan and groan, they moan and groan. We just gotta put up with it. By going on the offensive and making it worse, you effectively giving them encouragement and ammunition to ban ALL MTB from the area. That doesn't mean just you, but all of us!

No wonder MTB gets a bad rap among the average populace.

Please think about what long term effects your actions have...
The Best thing is the local council is approving that they be made tracks, But will the problem still continue do you think

orfeo

Likes Dirt
yeah i reckon unless your on a super wide firetrail you have to slow down when coming up to anyone other than another rider. Pedestrians to weird things like take sudden 90 degree turns and you'd hate if they turned into your path. Plus they're obviously aggravated with the riding style of the riders in your area so it's up to you to correct that and stop and have a chat and let them know you're not a monster (or are you ;)

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its always worth stopping and talking and being friendly. Start talking to them and just talk about anything, how lovely the place is on a day like this, complain about people dropping rubbish, how cheeky their dog is whatever. They can see your just a person like them and you build a good rapport... its an investment in furture relationships with the people who share the area.

What have you lost by stopping? You can go and ride the section again when they have gone and enjoy it more because there won't be a person to ride around.

Just show some manners and mutual respect and then maybe you will earn some back.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
The Best thing is the local council is approving that they be made tracks, But will the problem still continue do you think
If the tracks made are designated bicycles ONLY, then... I guess the pedestrians would walk along them at their own risk. But it wouldn't hurt to still ride carefully around them. Maybe stop, ask them how their day is going and let them know, in a friendly matter, that they're on a designated MTB-only track and it's dangerous for them to be there.

Otherwise, treat all other trail users the same. Slow down to less than ~5km/hour (brisk walking pace), smile and say hello, then continue to rip it up after you've safely passed them by a few meters.

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
You can't please everyone, you can stop, slow down even get off your bike, if someone has made up their mind that Bikes of all types and their riders are "evil" or "Bad" for the environment you are simply pushing shit up hill.
I slow down, say hello to walkers and try not to scare them but if someone stopped me to tell me I am not supposed to be there on a legal track I would give them a piece of my mind.
Also it is COMPLETELY unacceptable for them to be taking matter into their own hands and placing things like logs on the track, as mentioned a rider has broken their arm from this already.

end rant..

Last edited:

Jaybies_Can_Crash

Likes Dirt
I've been copping a lot of shtick recently from a few local pedestrians on FIRE ROADS for going too fast TOWARDS THEM when they can see about HALF A KILOMETER in front of them. It think you should always be courteous when you have the opportunity and slow down if corners are blind/you are behind them and there isn't much room etc. However, some people will get up you where-ever for whatever, whenever they can.

Last edited:

gizza666

Likes Bikes
I guess ill just keep doing what im doing, keep being friendly and positive and see if there is a change in the pedestrians attitude towards me.