percentage of riders who use Strava

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
when i rode on road I used it to log km's [resisted its use for about 12 months]

now I'm almost all MTB I use it to log hrs ridden [distance seems irrelevant..eg other day 11km but 420 ele. gain]] & elevation gained [I like to get in a couple of rides whereby elevation = 2* distance/10]

I also use it as fairly new to mtb I can see my progress on certain sectors -am I improving my cnr'ing spd / downhill times etc- its also useful to see where I am losing time to good riders, gives me somethign to work on

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
All these people saying it's good for seeing if you're improving, checking your times, see if you're quicker than last time etc etc.......................... go to a race and compete against people and yourself. Strava is so inaccurate and can easily be cheated on, it's laughable that people actually claim any sort of credit for saying they beat another person's time blah blah blah. We've heard it all before so I won't ramble on too much about it but it is most definitely one thing that mountain biking can do without, it's totally pointless to call it anything other than a way to map your ride. It's not a sociable tool, it's not a good thing for generating friendly banter about a ride you did by yourself and conversed with a guy who avoided riding with you and did it two hours later, it's not an indication that you are quicker than someone else, it's a pile of pooh that empowers people to think they are good and stuff 'n that. Above all else, it amplifies the huge issue that trail builders have of people not keeping their mouths shut about secret trails. The freedom of uploading your crap ride and telling the whole world about that sweet groomed trail you found is horrendous and you need your dick kicked in for even being there, let alone sharing your digitally EPO'd hack of a ride.

Fuck Strava.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Haha, I did leave myself open for that didn't I? ;)
I do have physical trophies for races that aren't imaginary though. My Mum thinks I'm cool.
I love racing but due to my work roster (nightshift and 2 out of every 3 weekends) there's only 3 or 4 local events i can do each year. It also means i do a lot of riding at night where my friends mostly head out in the mornings.

Strava lets me compete against them (and everyone else) without actually riding together. It also motivates me to beat my own times. On holidays at the moment and doing group rides every day, haven't even looked at my times this week, not going super fast but having heaps of fun.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
so i've been using endomondo for the last 5 years or more, but a mate has been bugging me to get over to strava (so he can see how much slower he is:p ) - i've exported all this data over and given it a shot.

First time using it today, and i like it. meh to all that comparing to others, i'm miles away from any records so why try. but i like being able to break it down and see where i've gone faster or slower. particularly interesting is seeing on paper the difference between riding a hardtail and a dually - not having a dually to ride at the moment i can definitely see faster times on climbs, but slower times where there's heaps of roots or rocks or all those things im suddenly scared of. accuracy seems a little better than endomondo too for MTB activities, the same ride last week was 33km, strava managed to track 36km which is a lot closer to what the computer gives me.

Haters gunna hate, and i'll probably start it on the sly at races so people dont know im a stravahole, but farked if i can find a reason to dislike the actual app.

STRAAAVA RUUUN!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySfX528tCkU

Fortius

Likes Bikes
I've had a poke around the strava website and downloaded the app. Yet to do anything with it as none of my devices are compatible and I'm too lazy to do the manual route.
I do like the idea of being able to track your personal times on regular tracks and see where you are improving, something of a self coach and motivator to get fitter for those climbs...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Well this was one of the first things I ever did on Strava so there's that...

Strava.jpg

Personally though. I like maps. a lot.
Strava lets me make a mark on them which is always nice especially when overseas riding trips are involved.

Also, going for a run around the helideck of a rig or vessel in the middle of the sea and posting the results always seems to initially freak people out.

Last edited:

Patio

Likes Bikes
I'm competitve and I like the stats so yer I use Strava but I don't let it rule my ride. I've scored a KOM here and there but I'm old enough and I've done enough races to not get too carried away by it and I know where I fit into the big picture. I would never put myself or other riders in danger in the quest for a PR. If things don't line up on a run I just pull the pin and wait for another day. These days I mostly use it from a social aspect to see where friends are riding. Also, there are certain tracks I ride where I just don't make the info public. No need to alert the hoardes to my favourite riding spots!!

stirk

Burner
. Also, there are certain tracks I ride where I just don't make the info public. No need to alert the hoardes to my favourite riding spots!!

Thanks, I appreciate this consideration, sadly many others don't.

I don't use any app that uploads my rides publically, go and race timed events if you want to really compete with others in a specific time and under the same conditions and claim a kingofthemountain. Conditions change and that effects results yeah.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks, I appreciate this consideration, sadly many others don't.

I don't use any app that uploads my rides publically, go and race timed events if you want to really compete with others in a specific time and under the same conditions and claim a kingofthemountain. Conditions change and that effects results yeah.
I don't want to race (I'm old) but still find my competitive nature feeds my urge to check my times against my mates.
There's nothing wrong with that... as long as your not being a dick on trails or short cutting corners and damaging trails.

If you don't want to use strava.... don't. Tis an easy solution to any dislike for the app.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well this was one of the first things I ever did on Strava so there's that...

View attachment 334216

Personally though. I like maps. a lot.
Strava lets me make a mark on them which is always nice especially when overseas riding trips are involved.

Also, going for a run around the helideck of a rig or vessel in the middle of the sea and posting the results always seems to initially freak people out.
That is brilliant POSM :)

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
My wife thinks it is awesome that one of her loops draws a penis. For ages she was trying to find a ride that did it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Seems we have three main positions on Strava, and maybe we are more opinionated on strava than anything else?

Let's talk about maintenance logging. Thanks to documented interoperability between apps and services, Wahoo's ride tracker can feed its data into Strava, strava can feed its data into Facebook, etc, etc.

Some kind gent has written a maintenance logging service that uses Strava's bike km total to send you an email at set km distances.

www.Fitbikealert.com

I need to perform maintenance at time intervals, only way at the moment is look at my average speeds to gauge an approximate km/time interval to send me an email to remind me to perform 50hr suspension services.

I'm all ears if someone has a better approach.

Last edited: