Pivot Mach 4 vs Santa Cruz Carbon Blur XC

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Definitely no propedal required on a Pivot. I ride a firebird (in my sig) and I used to ride a Intense 6.6 VPP. There is no comparison. The intense always needed flicking of the lever for climbs. The pivot is set and forget.
If you need propedal then surely its a sign that the suspension is not doing its job properly.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So was mine when it came out the first AFR flow control brain. My epic is a carbon marathon 2007, I guess if the rear end was stiffer it would be one less reason to look around. I also have a 2007 S-Works Stumpy FSR and there is no flex in the rear when cornering hard and fast...so I measured the main pivot at the BB; the epic's is 6cm and the stumpy is 7cm wide...I think that helps explains things.

Also because I'm a plougher with no real finesse the square edge bump performance is something that I'm interested in too...hoping it will make up for a lack of finesse.

I have the same year Stumpy FSR Pro and have also spent several hours on both a Pivot (Mach 5) and a SC Blur carbon, on my local trail.

The DW is definitely better with square edge hits (lots of mild climbs with roots/rock shelfs to test on)

The VPP2 is also very very efficient, but doesn't seem as harsh/stiff. Both bikes were set up correctly for me with pressures and sag, so the comparison should be pretty accurate.

I preferred the DW for climbing and felt they were equal everywhere else.

My next frame will either be DW (Mojo?) or VPP.

sruge

Likes Dirt
I've been riding a Mach 4 for almost 3 years now - privately imported a frame before they had a distributor here. The highlights for me are:-

Durability - I'm 95 kg and for 18 months this was my only mtb. I thrashed it through everything I dared and the pivots and links are still as tight & straight as the day it was built.
Pedalling - I echo previous comments about its competence over square-edge hits and out of the saddle climbing. In nearly 10,000 k I've never touched the Pro-pedal lever
Stability - for the geometry, the bike is very stable at speed. I hit 87 at the Flight Centre Epic, have had it over 80 a few more times - no hint of speed wobbles. In long, high speed turns it hunkers down, but you can still pick it up & change the line with ease. The mechanical traction in off-camber turns is outstanding.
Thrashability - this has been mentioned in several reviews. Yes, it's a bit heavier than other XC race bikes, but the wide bb, quality bearings & build quality add up to a stiffness & feel that means I'm happy & confident to thrash it. I can't think of another 100mm bike that is just as much fun to go out and have a play on.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Looks like the PM4 ticks all the right boxes. Geometry is similar to my epic.

I had always planned on PM4 as the next purchase but there is a special on Competitive Cyclist on a new large carbon blur XC for $1599 - a good price + shipping and fees (~$300) and wondered if there was much difference, sounds like there is a slight difference in favour of the Pivot for a punter like me - I'll wait till I save the $$$ for a PM4 frame.

Thanks for the responses.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
(Disclaimer - never ridden a Pivot or a Blur)

If you like the idea of DW - check out a Turner Flux. I bought one about 2 months ago and it is phenomenal. As has been said with the Pivot's, you never bother with the propedal as they simply don't bob. The suspension doesn't bob at all seated climbing and I have found that it has dramatically better traction for standing climbs than my 575 did as well. Add to that it feels plusher than my 575 did (with 2 inches less travel!) and I'm massively impressed. Mine's just over 11kg and I reckon I can go under 11 easily with lighter bars/stem etc

I rode a Trek Fuel about 2 weeks ago for a 20k ride, 2010 model. Nice bike but no way it's in this league for efficiency and speed.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Looks like the PM4 ticks all the right boxes. Geometry is similar to my epic.

I had always planned on PM4 as the next purchase but there is a special on Competitive Cyclist on a new large carbon blur XC for $1599 - a good price + shipping and fees (~$300) and wondered if there was much difference, sounds like there is a slight difference in favour of the Pivot for a punter like me - I'll wait till I save the $$$ for a PM4 frame.

Thanks for the responses.
Retail on the blur carbon is $3800!!

The new pivot is a tapered head tube as well. Does that mean you will be buying a new fork as well? Or just running the adapter.

You may get a 2010 pivot frame on sale somewhere, but the lighter new frame would be worth the extra $$

czecharch

Likes Dirt
I recollect seeing a Pivot Mach 4 for sale at Trailmix at Lysterfield, and the same frame on ebay from Snozz. Might be a good deal if the size is right.

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
If you're hot and sweaty for DW Link an Ibis Mojo SL is also worth a look.

Different 'category' of bike, but a Pivot 5/5.7 was on my shortlist towards the end of last year. I ended going with the Mojo HD, LOVE it.

FYI, Ibis have recently donated a Mojo SL for a raffle to raise money for a young girl in the USA needing transplants. $5 donation and you could win the Mojo SL (just need to pay shipping cost to AU)
http://www.mojoformikaelas.com/

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
If you're hot and sweaty for DW Link an Ibis Mojo SL is also worth a look.

Different 'category' of bike, but a Pivot 5/5.7 was on my shortlist towards the end of last year. I ended going with the Mojo HD, LOVE it.

FYI, Ibis have recently donated a Mojo SL for a raffle to raise money for a young girl in the USA needing transplants. $5 donation and you could win the Mojo SL (just need to pay shipping cost to AU)
http://www.mojoformikaelas.com/
wot he said.....

gadget1

Likes Dirt
have a M4 and can vouch the suspension is super plush and stiff, but its certainly a bit heavy, also. And yes, you don't need propedal, either, with this proviso, you want to spin, not mash, on the climbs.

takes a while to get the suspension dialled. be prepared to play around with it or get a different bike.

Because of the way the suspension is set up the rear does tend to bottom out a little going over a big drop, but never nastily, though I hear the 2011 frames have different shock rates that are meant to be better.

seems to corner, great, also.

+1 re the Mojo, also. Corners brilliantly, too, I reckon, and better descending. Can't speak about bob on that one as i've never ridden one set up exactly for myself.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been on a Blur XC Carbon for the last year riding and racing - best bike I have ever ridden. Efficient to the point of rediculous.

These two bikes you are comparing perform very similarly - the pivot can't be built at light simply because of the slightly heavier frame. It's a bit cheaper because of this trade-off.

Also, stuff the internet - go take them for a test ride.

Just got a 2010 Pivot Mach 4 and wow what a ride. So stiff, balanced and responsive. The DW link is fantastic. Smashed it around You Yangs yesterday had more fun than I think is legal with your pants on.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
Three problems with the mach 4.

1. the pressed in bottom bracket needs replacing all the time as it get full of mud and water.
2. The weight of the bike. They need to come out in carbon.
3. look fugally
I ride a Mojo and a carbon hard tail and wanted a race bike that combined the two qualities. The mach 4 has a longer top tube than the Mojo which suits my style of riding. It also handles well.
I spent quite a lot of time on a Mach 4 (not mine) and was considering buying one. Sent an email off to pivot asking them if they were going to make one in carbon and received a really smart A answer, was quite taken a back.
The crux of the email informed me that they see no future for a 100ml race bike so wouldn't make one in the near future.
Also when you ride an new Anthem carbon it has very similar handling and is half the price. For the same price as an alloy mach 4 you can get the top anthem with xtr and the terralogic fork. I would probably go the Anthem.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
1. the pressed in bottom bracket needs replacing all the time as it get full of mud and water.
2. The weight of the bike. They need to come out in carbon.
3. look fugally
I ride a Mojo and a carbon hard tail and wanted a race bike that combined the two qualities. The mach 4 has a longer top tube than the Mojo which suits my style of riding. It also handles well.
I spent quite a lot of time on a Mach 4 (not mine) and was considering buying one. Sent an email off to pivot asking them if they were going to make one in carbon and received a really smart A answer, was quite taken a back.
The crux of the email informed me that they see no future for a 100ml race bike so wouldn't make one in the near future.
Also when you ride an new Anthem carbon it has very similar handling and is half the price. For the same price as an alloy mach 4 you can get the top anthem with xtr and the terralogic fork. I would probably go the Anthem.

1. that bottom bracket has a one year warranty!!
2. mine is just over 10kg....wouldnt call that heavy. you can get the 5.7 in carbon
3. best looking bike ever!! (and the fact that you compare it to a giant assures me that you have no idea what a good looking bike looks like)
4. have you ridden one????? once ridden always brought :)

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
hmm

1. that bottom bracket has a one year warranty!!

my mate has replaced his 2 times this year and twice last year, every race it seems in winter
2. mine is just over 10kg....wouldnt call that heavy.
Good point but is it a small, or x small.

you can get the 5.7 in carbon,: yes but that is an all mountain type bike with too much travel for racing, have to run a heavier fork and it looks .......

3. best looking bike ever!! (and the fact that you compare it to a giant assures me that you have no idea what a good looking bike looks like)

didn't mean to offend, but compared to the Carbon Giant anthem it just dose not look classy like lots of other new bikes. the m4 looks very 2004-2006, bikes have moved on. some giant bikes look great others look crap, I don't care who makes a bike they can either look good or not.

4. have you ridden one?????
yes put in about 50km on one and they do ride great, i may of bought one, if they came in carbon, were cheaper, and the Pivot guy was not so rude on the email.

once ridden always brought :)
can't see the value when compared to the Anthem but is dose ride very very well. as well as the Carbon Anthem

Attachments