Pivot Mach 5.7

mapua

Likes Bikes
I've decided to upgrade my old Reign X0 and picked up a Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon for a good price.

I don't have a heap of $$$ for new forks so I'm considering running my Marz 55 Air TI's until I can afford a decent set of Pike.

Pivot spec a 140-150mm fork. My 55s are 160. I like a slacker feel to my bike so I was thinking of running an angle set and slackening the forks out an extra. 5 to 1 deg.

Am I going to have any dramas, stuff the geometry up completely or will it be okay? Or should I look to swap my forks for a 150 mm fork.

I'm only a weekend warrior and don't do a heap of climbing. Also like to shuttle our local downhill track every now and then.

Thoughts?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What will altering the head angle so much do to the strength of the head tube etc on your new frame? If it isn't going to cause a structural problem...enjoy.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Stick the 160mm's in and see how it rides. Anglesets are not cheap (couple of hundred $ afaik), and probably wont be needed if running a longer A2C fork than the frame is designed for.
You wont cause any problems with a slightly slacker set up.... just get out and ride it!

mapua

Likes Bikes
Yeah I just had a look at Anglesets. Damn they ain't cheap. Looks like ill just go with a regular headset as running my slightly longer fork will slacken it a tiny bit anyhow.

I wouldn't think a 10mm longer fork will put enough stress on headtube to make a difference to strength. Cant wait for this thing to show up!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
A bit under $150 shipped for a Works Components angleset, direct from them in the UK.

cracker

Likes Dirt
be interested to see how much better you think it rides then the reign, what year reign ? and are you running 26 or 27.5

mapua

Likes Bikes
Hopefully heaps better. The reigns an 08 X0 26". Weighs about 17kg. Still pedals alright for an old tank and handles some abuse. I'll be running the Dh wheelset off the reign on the pivot until I can afford a decent set of tubeless wheels

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
so your the bloke that got in a head of me.....
i was going to offer the guy $100 more.....
but felt bad about grass cutting you...
enjoy your new ride....

mapua

Likes Bikes
so your the bloke that got in a head of me.....
i was going to offer the guy $100 more.....
but felt bad about grass cutting you...
enjoy your new ride....
Haha well thanks I guess. I've been wanting to upgrade my rig for over a year but can't convince the Mrs to let me spend 3k+ on a new bike so I've been looking for a frame and when I saw this I couldn't pass it up. I was gonna try and negotiate him down abit but in the end just agreed to his asking price. Glad I did

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
I've been wanting to upgrade my rig for over a year but can't convince the Mrs to let me spend 3k+ on a new bike

your not alone on that one.....
that's the second one of these I've missed out on...
there was one for sale on here not long ago........:doh:

sukebe

Likes Dirt
I owned a Mach 5.7 for a few years, I still wish sometimes I hadn't sold it as it was maybe my favorite bike I've owned. I ran it with 140 and 150 and prefered the 140. With the 150 fork it was marginally better descending but it made ripping singletrack less engaging and the steering floppy in slow tight corners. Depends on what you want from it I guess, but I think it's a bike that shines brightest on technical XC/trail riding where climbing is as important as descending (what it was designed for). If you want a slack trail/enduro bike, you should buy a slack trail/enduro bike.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm riding an alloy 5.7 with a 27.5 mattoc set at 150mm. Next time I have to service the fork I'm going to swap out a few parts and set it to 150mm in the 26 mode. I would agree with Sukebe that slackening too much will make the bike less fun to ride but I don't think it's exclisively an xc/trail bike. With the mattoc and a float X w/ corset it's a ripping bike pointed down a hill, and still climbs like it should.

mapua

Likes Bikes
If you want a slack trail/enduro bike, you should buy a slack trail/enduro bike.
I want a do it all bike, I just like a slacker feeling bike. I get most enjoyment from ripping downhill than more technical single track and climbs but at the end of the day where I live I need to ride up to get down. Unfortunately I don't have the budget to splash out on a new Carbon frame that suits my needs 100% so I'm limited to the second hand market and this frame @$1350 should do everything I need and is in my budget.

I'm not going to slacken it out anymore, just going to run it in 26" mode with my 160mm forks.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I owned a 5.7C for almost 4 years, only sold it recently to nab an awesome deal on an Ibis HD3 frame. I ran it with a 150mm fork the whole time, Revelation WC at the beginning then a Pike when I beefed it up with a DB Inline at the same time. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice going to the HD3, as I loved that bike and would happily grab another one. It was a tad "compact", coming from older geometry, but the HD3 is super long, so a Large frame would have fit the bill perfectly ;)

At 160mm you'll be fine, I wouldn't worry about the angleset until you've ridden it a while. It's a seriously capable bike and you'll be stoked on it no doubt :D

I'm currently considering selling my Inline as the HD3 came with a DB Air CS. Literally just had the Inline serviced and internals upgraded, but even before that it was a million times better than the Fox RP23 it replaced. If you're potentially interested, flick me a message :)