Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Why?

Because you can.

This is the just-lodged DA for two-doors-down neighbour (King Furniture family) to build a new holiday home. Over 500m2 of conditioned space:

Our place is to the left, just out of frame...this photo shows the slab to be demolished to build this massive thing:

Won't bother our amenity but will bother the planet.

Really - you need something this big???

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You need to match your home to your ego, which is generally inverse to your penis. Something that is also similar to car choices.

This is the kind of stupidity that Australia needs to wake up to and fuck off. The era of the 1/4 acre block and family home is over. The estates/developments housing such homes need to end. It might suck for those who dream of such bullshit but more density, better public transport, and reforestation need to be happening. Not MacDonald dream homes.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
This is the kind of stupidity that Australia needs to wake up to and fuck off. The era of the 1/4 acre block and family home is over. The estates/developments housing such homes need to end. It might suck for those who dream of such bullshit but more density, better public transport, and reforestation need to be happening. Not MacDonald dream homes.
We've got the space. Why shouldn't we have 1/4acre blocks? We can all have nice gardens and less concrete.
Probably 80% of the new builds where I live are built to the boundary with gutters almost touching and no greenery or just a small patch out the back.
The issue is not the size of the block, its the size of the building envelope and the fact that housing in this country has been set up first and foremost as an investment, rather than a place to live.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
We've got the space. Why shouldn't we have 1/4acre blocks? We can all have nice gardens and less concrete.
Probably 80% of the new builds where I live are built to the boundary with gutters almost touching and no greenery or just a small patch out the back.
The issue is not the size of the block, its the size of the building envelope and the fact that housing in this country has been set up first and foremost as an investment, rather than a place to live.
The issues I see with the traditional spread out neighbourhood with a house and a yard etc are:
  • low density living causes more and more urban sprawl. Urban sprawl brings about deforestation for more and more urban sprawl.
  • The more you sprawl, the further you are from the important things in life like work, shopping, school, and sports events. The further you spread out the harder it is to have effective and popular public transport services. The less effective public transport there is, the more people will drive their cars...and so on.
  • The more you sprawl, the more spread out things like roads and pipes and lines become, and the more invasive their installation.

We need to centralise living and focus on reducing our reliance on driving cars.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
There is no free space on this planet. Everywhere has someone living there - they just might not be human.

We need to learn to share...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah. Fuck 1000m2 blocks.
I say fuck 200m2 blocks. Unless it's the footprint for multi level multi occupant multi unit living. That has its own issues as well, but condensed living will help reduce our reliance on driving. Plus who wants to spend all their time mowing the lawn? Fuck that.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I say fuck 200m2 blocks. Unless it's the footprint for multi level multi occupant multi unit living. That has its own issues as well, but condensed living will help reduce our reliance on driving. Plus who wants to spend all their time mowing the lawn? Fuck that.
Spending today doing that, and dealing with some overgrown garden beds... Chainsaw was a bitch to start after a year in storage :(
Should be riding.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Me but I sure as hell don't want to live wall to wall with one hundred other people either... I'll be off planet before that happens.

Elbo

The issues I see with the traditional spread out neighbourhood with a house and a yard etc are:
  • low density living causes more and more urban sprawl. Urban sprawl brings about deforestation for more and more urban sprawl.
  • The more you sprawl, the further you are from the important things in life like work, shopping, school, and sports events. The further you spread out the harder it is to have effective and popular public transport services. The less effective public transport there is, the more people will drive their cars...and so on.
  • The more you sprawl, the more spread out things like roads and pipes and lines become, and the more invasive their installation.
We need to centralise living and focus on reducing our reliance on driving cars.
You're conflating land area with impact. What you and I do with 1000m2 pales in significance compared to what heavy industry or agriculture would do with 1000m2.
How dense do we need to go before Australians give up their cars? And is car reliance such a big deal if they are all going to be electric in the near future?

There is no free space on this planet. Everywhere has someone living there - they just might not be human.

We need to learn to share...
I never claimed space was free. Everything is a trade off.

Yeah. Fuck 1000m2 blocks.
At what size does a lot become OK?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
And is car reliance such a big deal if they are all going to be electric in the near future?
Yep. EVing the current number of cars would literally utterly destroy the planet. Mining for raw materials, CO2 burp - it would mean absolutely runaway CC.

Remember - we have a “budget” of 580 gigatonnes of CO2. And that’s it. No more CO2 ever. And that’s for a 50/50 chance of keeping to 1.5 degrees.

Every car that’s produced eats into this.

We have to have a totally new view on how we manage our lives. Personal transportation has to go.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You're conflating land area with impact. What you and I do with 1000m2 pales in significance compared to what heavy industry or agriculture would do with 1000m2.
How dense do we need to go before Australians give up their cars? And is car reliance such a big deal if they are all going to be electric in the near future?

I never claimed space was free. Everything is a trade off.

At what size does a lot become OK?
30,000m2 or bigger.

Elbo

Yep. EVing the current number of cars would literally utterly destroy the planet. Mining for raw materials, CO2 burp - it would mean absolutely runaway CC.

Remember - we have a “budget” of 580 gigatonnes of CO2. And that’s it. No more CO2 ever. And that’s for a 50/50 chance of keeping to 1.5 degrees.

Every car that’s produced eats into this.

We have to have a totally new view on how we manage our lives. Personal transportation has to go.
Let's be real; the planet will be fine. It's us who won't survive.
You're preaching to the converted, man. I ride my bike to work most days. I live 2km from my place of work. How many people in the city can say that? I grow my own vegetables in my 500m2 backyard, so a lot of my food requires zero transportation. Perhaps the answer isn't denser populations, but smaller self-sufficient towns with more permaculture gardens and re-greening, where people don't need public transport and huge infrastructure to accommodate them, let alone personal transportation because they can walk and ride everywhere.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Unfortunately moat people aren't programmed like that. Think of how many people you know that drive to their nearest grocery store and how far that is, why do they do that? Because it's convenient...I mean who would want to walk 800m carry an 18 roll pack of toilet paper? I balance it on my handle bars for the ride home. Unfortunately the natural choice of most people is laziness and convenience. Our populace is terribly over reliant on our cars and seem to view driving themselves everywhere as a right. While most residential planning seems to have very little thought given to public transport. Look at the massive expenditure and environmental impact that comes from all the constant road works. Those future electric cars are still being made from resources that are dug up and processed. Their scrap materials at end of life include some nasty pollutants. The electricity comes from somewhere and in Australia almost all of that is fossil. Less cars needs to be part of the solution. It's a convenience that needs to be sacrificed.

Auto racing can fuck off as well. Bunch of men driving around in circles....fuck me. Yeah the super cars are on soon and I do not approve.

Me but I sure as hell don't want to live wall to wall with one hundred other people either... I'll be off planet before that happens.
You don't need to worry, you already have a house! It's those suckered that haven't brought yet that can suck this one up.