Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It's called leading by example. If you really cared you'd be negative rather than just calling for other people to do something.
Never really worked though and we certainly don't have time for it. Time to bring on the regulation hammer. THe reason why it doesn't work is because no one knows what to do about popualtion. Does someone with no kids get a bigger quota than someone with 8?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
this problem cannot be resolved by individual actions.
Nothing of significance will happen in time because no one wants to be the one to say we need to abandon our extravagant lifestyles. It's obvious that we as a species don't have what it takes to coordinate against a problem of this magnitude. IMHO, the best chance we have is to actively embrace a neopeasant lifestyle and prepare for a totally different future.

Elbo

I'll say it.

Harder to enact it.
Yeah, it would be more accurate to say that plenty of people saying it, but I won't hold my breath waiting for anything of significance to be enacted through legislation. The fundamental problem is that there is a conflict of interest between continuing economic development, government/tax collection. No institution is going to vote itself less money, and more money means more resources.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Never really worked though and we certainly don't have time for it. Time to bring on the regulation hammer. THe reason why it doesn't work is because no one knows what to do about popualtion. Does someone with no kids get a bigger quota than someone with 8?
I think a solution for this is coming, an unintentional consequence of the pandemic. Too lazy to look up figures but immigration to Australia was circa 300,000 last year (which is what it has been for the past several years or so). I think this year it's projected to be a tenth of that, and unlikely to hit those levels again for a pretty long time I'd imagine. Bad for the Govt's bottom line as they've been using population growth as a prop for our GDP for ages, but from a sustainability perspective I'd consider this pretty promising.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
No institution is going to vote itself less money,
It should be noted the carbon price that was abolished was a net source of government revenue and current prices are a significant spend of public money.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The piss farting around simply reinforces that we need carbon pricing to have any sort of chance. Once again though, population is the challenge.

A funny thought experiment is can you imagine if China agreed to go on an emissions trajectory but demanded 20% of the emissions pie?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's obvious that we as a species don't have what it takes to coordinate against a problem of this magnitude.
The simple reason for this is we can't fix this problem with bombs and guns. If wealthy people could just sit back and condemn masses of young disposable unwealthy people to death on the battlefield, this shit would be en route for a glorious WW1/2 style resolution...or a Vietnam/Afghanistan/Iraq disaster. Maybe even if it was war we'd still fuck it up.

Bit like me not flying places as part of my job ;)
Actually very different...you, and the rest of the drones like you, all need to abandon the outdated and bullshit thinking that sees you all flying around to his each other's dicks.

Elbo

The simple reason for this is we can't fix this problem with bombs and guns. If wealthy people could just sit back and condemn masses of young disposable unwealthy people to death on the battlefield, this shit would be en route for a glorious WW1/2 style resolution...or a Vietnam/Afghanistan/Iraq disaster. Maybe even if it was war we'd still fuck it up
If we wait long enough we might find this will be the natural progression for this problem. Climate change = social upheaval. Everything will stay relatively calm until food production is compromised world wide.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
If we wait long enough we might find this will be the natural progression for this problem. Climate change = social upheaval. Everything will stay relatively calm until food production is compromised world wide.
Yep, that was a very significant factor for the Arab Spring.