Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
There's a lot more to birth rates than being fruitful and multiplying. You're ignoring that birth rates are linked to child mortality and standards of living which we should be looking to raise in the developing world. As long as we're not trying to develop them to use all of our "clean coal" we should be right in that regard.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
German tower boilers wont be burning Australian coal unless they are shipping the shit from the Victoria too.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Minerals council of Australia are a bunch of lying turds that believe profits from coal are more important than climate change. There is no such thing as clean coal, the best techs are only about 20% better than dirty coal which still makes it a shocking source of CO2.

Germany is getting out of coal completely in 20 years and they are not building more coal stations.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
There's a lot more to birth rates than being fruitful and multiplying. You're ignoring that birth rates are linked to child mortality and standards of living which we should be looking to raise in the developing world. As long as we're not trying to develop them to use all of our "clean coal" we should be right in that regard.
Agree. However it's no secret that birth rates lag behind development. You see this with migrants that come to Australia and still have huge families. So while development will eventually slow the birth rate (I'd argue it's house prices that force dual incomes that does this more) we have at best one generation that will go through raising standards AND populating at developing country levels. That's 20 years of population growth the world can't really afford.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Minerals council of Australia are a bunch of lying turds that believe profits from coal are more important than climate change. There is no such thing as clean coal, the best techs are only about 20% better than dirty coal which still makes it a shocking source of CO2.

Germany is getting out of coal completely in 20 years and they are not building more coal stations.
Mitch Hook in particular was horrid. Bully boy.

The Germany thing of course has more to it, they wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t politically favourable (this of course is a lot of the problem globally...) - 300k jobs in renewables, 20k in their coal industry.

Of course there are more people in renewables here too, but see point A about minerals council. And a less enlightened/educated electorate...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
. That's 20 years of population growth the world can't really afford.
We couldn’t afford the last 20 either.

You might not have to explain it to your kids, but your grandkids at least will look at our generation with confusions and disgust.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Agree. However it's no secret that birth rates lag behind development. You see this with migrants that come to Australia and still have huge families. So while development will eventually slow the birth rate (I'd argue it's house prices that force dual incomes that does this more) we have at best one generation that will go through raising standards AND populating at developing country levels. That's 20 years of population growth the world can't really afford.
Bit more nuanced here as the Australian population is nothing compared to the global scale - not that I advocate for a big Australia - but we will have to do more to accept climate refugees as Pacific islands go under water and major water reservoirs held as ice in places like the Himalayas melt and disrupt significant food bowls. Why? Because our per capitata emissions are amongst the highest.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bit more nuanced here as the Australian population is nothing compared to the global scale - not that I advocate for a big Australia - but we will have to do more to accept climate refugees as Pacific islands go under water and major water reservoirs held as ice in places like the Himalayas melt and disrupt significant food bowls. Why? Because our per capitata emissions are amongst the highest.
Refugee policy is a emotionally charged topic. But from a pure environment perspective it makes more sense to send refugees to Europe than Australia. Pacific island climate refugees however are, like you said, a whole new ball game and yes we do have a responsibility in this regard. But even then their numbers are not that great - about 2m or so.

The bigger issue is closer neighbors that would be affected but climate like the population giant that is Indonesia. It would make the Syrian refugee crisis look like a tea party compared to what might at our doorstep.

John U

MTB Precision
Why does it make more sense to send refugees to Europe than Australia?
Refugee policy is a emotionally charged topic. But from a pure environment perspective it makes more sense to send refugees to Europe than Australia. Pacific island climate refugees however are, like you said, a whole new ball game and yes we do have a responsibility in this regard. But even then their numbers are not that great - about 2m or so.

The bigger issue is closer neighbors that would be affected but climate like the population giant that is Indonesia. It would make the Syrian refugee crisis look like a tea party compared to what might at our doorstep.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dirrrrrrrrrrrr. Because Australia doesn't have enough space for any more refugees than the ones who came here already. It's probably the same for migrants as well. We couldn't really allow our culture to get too multi, it might get too confused.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
They have more fresh water and arable land.

The climate also makes things like tri-gen and burning rubbish much more sensible. Wind power is also more reliable and North Africa could become rich thanks to solar power and fish farming.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

John U

MTB Precision
They have more fresh water and arable land.

The climate also makes things like tri-gen and burning rubbish much more sensible. Wind power is also more reliable and North Africa could become rich thanks to solar power and fish farming.

They also have a much bigger population. I wonder how the head count per arable land compares between the 2.

Oddjob

They also have a much bigger population. I wonder how the head count per arable land compares between the 2.
Lower. From memory Ukraine has as much arable land as we do, and thats just one country.

Oddjob

So is Australia over capacity at moment? Are we being to wasteful?
No. We export 2/3rds of our agricultural production in a good year.

We can significantly reduce water use and marginal land use by switching to different production. Ie getting out of cotton, less grain fed beef, more kangaroo harvesting, more fast growing timber and bamboo.