Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
McCormack, and I cannot stress this strongly enough, is a total fucktard.
Who is beholden to even more powerful fucktard friends. And those friends think that Australian agriculture is actually the province of Mum and Dad farmers when actually the voters in their constituencies are increasingly refugees from cities and regional centres who can no longer afford the rent on some deity forsaken hovel on a Centrelink income...

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
There's agriculture for food and then there's agriculture for export. McCormack is trying to give Big Ag a free pass by impressing upon us that they are all mum and dad farmers.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Id love to see the liberals and nationals contest governments on their own like labour and the greens do. Then see how popular so called conservatives really are...
The german 4 way fuck fest seems to be a worse outcome believe it or not!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Interesting to see some of those high performers well up the chart are often called out as examples of big emitters that justify us not changing our way of life.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
This is quite the report - across all aspects of this stupid nation:

Quite profound from a CC perspective:

View attachment 372150
Although I won't argue that this is indeed shit and there are no excuses for why we shouldn't rank much better I'm bothered by the finger pointing and the cherry picking. Our overall position (surely the more important metric) has improved since 2016 even if it's only a few meagre placings and as far as I can tell results from 2005 when they first started publishing the index are no longer available meaning we can't compare the previous Government's performance. There is a lot of "the current Government is a failure" and not nearly enough "this is what we need to do to fix it".

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I don't believe it's any specific government who's to blame here.

It's the general populations apathy to the CC issue & the fact that it's not really on anyone's agenda.

You can argue this all you want but if there was a true groundswell on this, we'd be halfway there by now.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I agree that no one Government is to blame but that is the overarching message that that report is delivering.

In the face of such apathy shouldn't it be the Governments responsibility to enact change on our behalf?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Although I won't argue that this is indeed shit and there are no excuses for why we shouldn't rank much better I'm bothered by the finger pointing and the cherry picking. Our overall position (surely the more important metric) has improved since 2016 even if it's only a few meagre placings and as far as I can tell results from 2005 when they first started publishing the index are no longer available meaning we can't compare the previous Government's performance. There is a lot of "the current Government is a failure" and not nearly enough "this is what we need to do to fix it".
There’s been plenty of evidence demonstrating the difference between what happened in the short period of a carbon pricing scheme and what happened after.

Also, we know (mostly) what needs to be done. Basically no one on the planet is doing enough, but basically everyone except the Australian government is doing something.

The reductions in Australia’s emissions since Paris have been pretty much attributable to changing electricity generation mix (driven by industry/capital in spite of a government that literally talks about underwriting further coal and gas stations) and land use change. There is no policy imperative for almost anyone here - individual, corporation or otherwise - to make an effort, so why would they?

Agree @hifiandmtb about the apathy but I think it goes two ways - there is a significant majority support for CC action, but individuals have limited capacity to worry about multiple things and there’s always something seen as more pressing/urgent.

If politicians weren’t always standing by waiting to hand out excuses for why we shouldn’t worry about “what might happen in thirty years” then maybe people wouldn’t be so ready to let it slide.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
...there is a significant majority support for CC action...
I'd love to believe this, but meaningful action requires loss in people's freedom to do what they want whenever they want & this is really, really hard to write legislation for without killing votes.

Everyone loves a bit 'o CC action when all the action is planting a tree & installing some solar panels. Asking more than that...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Interestingly that report states.
"Over 90% of Australians believe the Australian Government should take action to address climate change. Taking action now will help protect our way of life and that of future generations."

I'm not disagreeing with the message merely the way that particular report portrays it as a failing of a particular Government thereby giving an opportunity for people to shift blame from themselves and onto somebody else "not my fault, I didn't vote for party 'x'" We should nay need to have a robust climate policy and this needs to be bipartisan so that it can't be traded off for votes.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
https://whatsyour2040.com/

My daughter had to watch this doco for school, and my wife and I watched it with her. There might be a copy on YT that shouldn’t be if you go looking... guessing it won’t be there for too long.

We all found it pretty inspiring - things we could be doing right now to make a big difference in a short amount of time.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'd love to believe this, but meaningful action requires loss in people's freedom to do what they want whenever they want & this is really, really hard to write legislation for without killing votes.
Yeah that’s basically what I was trying to say. The support exists in theory but as long as there’s an easy way out (I.e. one party who pretends it doesn’t exist opposed by a party who is scared of the sound of its own voice) then people will always vote for less effort.

If our two major parties were both agreed that we have to cease all fossil fuel-based energy generation by 2030, they’d still be chasing votes and arguing over implementation/market vs centralisation/how to support transition-affected communities/other but the whole conversation would be in a totally different ballpark. That’s why we also need leadership.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

[watched the trailer] I can't agree with this "happy outcomes" story. The CC problem is WAY bigger than that solved in this discussion. We can't solve this with little steps & good news snippets. Documentaries like this are counter-productive.

We are in a time of climate emergency:

In that documentary do they discuss these numbers?
  • To prevent warming beyond 1.5°C, we need to reduce emissions by 7.6% every year from this year to 2030. (EGR, 2019)
  • 10 years ago, if countries had acted on this science, governments would have needed to reduce emissions by 3.3% each year. Every year we fail to act, the level of difficulty and cost to reduce emissions goes up. (EGR, 2019)
That's the truth, just ask climate science.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Interestingly that report states.
"Over 90% of Australians believe the Australian Government should take action to address climate change. Taking action now will help protect our way of life and that of future generations."

I'm not disagreeing with the message merely the way that particular report portrays it as a failing of a particular Government thereby giving an opportunity for people to shift blame from themselves and onto somebody else "not my fault, I didn't vote for party 'x'" We should nay need to have a robust climate policy and this needs to be bipartisan so that it can't be traded off for votes.
Don’t underestimate the influence of a highly ideological political wing with a supportive media conglomerate to drive “public opinion.

The report is clearly and quite openly partisan, but the picture it portrays isn’t necessarily wrong. I would like to see other metrics to gauge exactly how much it’s cherry picked though. I not sure a report could be written that says the opposite though, none of these metrics are exactly news...