Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
That’s pretty clever stuff isn’t it. Maybe this is Mazda saying that they’re not quite ready to commit to EVs just yet?
I think it’s just more that they reckon they’ve identified a niche they can do well in.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
That’s pretty clever stuff isn’t it. Maybe this is Mazda saying that they’re not quite ready to commit to EVs just yet?
I don't buy that EVs are such a big jump in tech that auto makes can't quickly electrify their vehicles. We have actually seen the opposite, where it's actually Tesla who have catching up to do with regards to the rest of the car. I rekon Mazda is betting on buying the component or parts when the time comes rather than choosing to develop in house. If you look at the company itself, it doesn't really have any real competitive advantage in battery or electric motor tech so probably not a bad strategic decision. In all honestly they are probably waiting for Tesla to throw in the towel and license their batter/motor tech which is about 2 development cycles ahead of the competition.

Haakon

I don't buy that EVs are such a big jump in tech that auto makes can't quickly electrify their vehicles. We have actually seen the opposite, where it's actually Tesla who have catching up to do with regards to the rest of the car. I reckon Mazda is betting on buying the component or parts when the time comes rather than choosing to develop in house. If you look at the company itself, it doesn't really have any real competitive advantage in battery or electric motor tech so probably not a bad strategic decision. In all honestly they are probably waiting for Tesla to throw in the towel and license their batter/motor tech which is about 2 development cycles ahead of the competition.
Yes and no... Yes its true that its been readily available tech for sometime, but no in that there are still big investments required for any new conventional ICE model let alone a new drivetrain production. And it took Tesla getting together with Panasonic and making that first big leap of battery volume production to bring in efficiencies of scale and bring down costs. No one wanted to be that first mover when there was no real market demand.

Mazda is a relatively small company, and its strength has always been engine tech. The engineering prowess they brought to the Wankel was awesome, and their current Skyactive engines are the bleeding edge of conventional NA ICE (again, they made a bet against downsized turbos that everyone else was doing and they won that bet!). They have built an identity around it and that's their marketing schtick as well (zoom zoom).

Tesla tech is open source. No one is waiting for Tesla. Telsa's new factory in China will building bodies that are up to standard shortly - they learnt all the lessons on how not to do things at Fremont!!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Peeps will want an EV for lower maintenance among other things.

A SkyActiv hybrid won't be low maintenance.

Haakon

A SkyActiv hybrid won't be low maintenance.
I reckon it will work for Mazda - there will be enough of the market in the next 10 years that will not want an EV or Hybrid that will be attracted to an efficient ICE. It will be a niche though and the much longer term question for the company will be if there needs to be a Plan B!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Tesla tech is open source.
A lot of tesla tech is not open source contrary to the stuff that comes out of Elon's mouth lol.

This is one of the disappointments for EVs for me. Service costs still high, intervals also based on ICE intervals. The low maintenance of EVs evaporates if the consumer still has to pay for an equivalent service interval.

Contrary to some of the opinions here, I rekon 10 years without and EV is doable. But you'd better hope you at least have a plan to launch one in year 11!

Haakon

Yes, Tesla do not advertise much of what they do it’s true. Watch the (very long!) segments of Autoline Daily on YouTube where they have Sandy Munro go though his findings of a Model 3 teardown. Super nerdy but very interesting.

EV service intervals are more about tyres and suspension checks, which are probably higher on an EV - more weight and more torque means they eat tyres!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Watch him too...

Binaural

Eats Squid
EV service intervals are more about tyres and suspension checks, which are probably higher on an EV - more weight and more torque means they eat tyres!
Yeah, the intervals are probably less informative than the overall service costs. It looks like those are roughly twice or three times what you'd pay for a Tesla rather than a model 6.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Tyres & suspension don't need dealership involvement though. Which is awesome.

Much better being able to do this yourself...

Haakon

Yeah, the intervals are probably less informative than the overall service costs. It looks like those are roughly twice or three times what you'd pay for a Tesla rather than a model 6.
Cant say I've ever looked at what it costs to service a car at a dealer...