Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

John U

MTB Precision
Really deep. Like the future of life in the planet depended on it.
Lifes essentials
  1. Food
  2. Water
  3. Shelter (variable, dependent on location and time of year)

Might also add ability for some to reproduce.

That is pretty much it.
Forgot the most important, education. Wherever it comes from, parents, friends, school, uni, on the job, life experience, you’d be fairly useless without it. The importance of the education that your parent/s/guardians give you is often overlooked

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
2.4L 4cyl jap
2.5L 4cyl jap
2.5 4cyl jap
2.0L 4cyl turbo jap
Another 2L 4cyl turbo jap
ANOTHER 2L 4cyl turbo BUT EURO NOW
1.8L turbo jap
4.5L 6 petrol jap
2.8L 5cyl turbo diesel jap
2.5 petrol 4cyl jap

The 2.0L turbo jobbies are the most fun outta all that. If only the golf was rear wheel drive it’d take top honours, alas my dearly departed S14 just nudges it out

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Funnest engine I've ever owned was the 900cc turbo triple in a 2015 Clio. Hilarious little engine that went way better than it should have.

Otherwise 2x Rover 2 litre OHC twin SU
A couple on 1100cc Reno 10
a couple of 2 litre Peugeots - 504 and 406
a couple of 2 litre Renault Fuegos
a 2.2 Renault R25
another 2.2 in a Renault R21
A 2 litre Citroen Xsara
And a 2 litre in the Megane.
Alfa is a turbo 1.4.

Had 3.5 litre V8 Rover once too - I think the Clio was quicker.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Somehow I missed the shitload of posts in the last few days and jumped straight to Peter Wherrett, but who could blame me :)

I've had two turbo's, our most recent cars, VW Golf diesel (2013) and TSi (2015), both rated around 4-5l/100km. Rest were 1-2l 80's-90's cars, sucking roughly 50-100% more fuel. I still have the best one for conversion to electric at a later date.

@Nambra here's a great article about old mate and why he has nothing to offer, even his insights on Greenpeace are there only to distract from the real issue and denigrate the green movement: https://www.skepticalscience.com/moore-2012.html

Plane travel is huge, I feel like it used to cost the same as buying a new(ish) car to travel by plane overseas 40 years ago when I was a little kid, only the quite wealthy got to do it. In 1978 it was ~$3k Sydney to NYC, or ~$3k for a brand new Mazda 808, my first car, I got a beaten one for $100 in 1990. The Wherrett Special was a return flight at about $10k AUD.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Gish-Gallop - I like that term @Scotty T. Proves you can't believe anything you read these days and it's usually full of editorial bias anyway.

That VW Golf Diesel of yours had the emissions test defeating software hack then? :)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That VW Golf Diesel of yours had the emissions test defeating software hack then? :)
Man, don't even get me started. Yes it had the Diesel-gate issue, I bought it because it was the Bluemotion model, apparently "better than a Prius". Also, it had only been driven short distances for 70k km before I got it. Because of that, the engine died, I had the engine replaced and I sold it, completely honestly telling the buyer the story of the car.

Other than a Prius C which was too small for us, the new Golf we got was the best fuel efficiency of all the cars I looked at. It was still under warranty (prev one wasn't) and was as cheap as comparable Jap second hand cars. A much nicer more refined car to drive so I bought another one. I have on many occasions done some "hyper miling" in it and got down to 4.1l/100km on my work commute, it actually does better than it says on paper which is the first car I've ever owned that made its actual claimed figures, even the diesel was never close, but also some of that was down to the engine being rooted. Probably would look at a Corolla hybrid now, at the time they were still quite expensive and not many second hand.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Actually I'd look at a Hyundia Ioniq or the new Leaf, can't afford a Tesla 3 but might be able to next time we're looking. Petrol is dead.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Funnest engine I've ever owned was the 900cc turbo triple in a 2015 Clio. Hilarious little engine that went way better than it should have.

Otherwise 2x Rover 2 litre OHC twin SU
A couple on 1100cc Reno 10
a couple of 2 litre Peugeots - 504 and 406
a couple of 2 litre Renault Fuegos
a 2.2 Renault R25
another 2.2 in a Renault R21
A 2 litre Citroen Xsara
And a 2 litre in the Megane.
Alfa is a turbo 1.4.

Had 3.5 litre V8 Rover once too - I think the Clio was quicker.
Your list is awesome!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Sorry to hear of your Golf woes @Scotty T! I’ve always liked the Golf, it’s the sort of small car a bloke can get away with. Even a Bavarian X3 looks like a soccer mum should be behind the wheel. I knew a guy a few years ago in Adelaide that had a run of the mill 4 cylinder 3 series from memory, it used to get over 1000km from a tank on the open road.

Electric cars are on their way for sure, and I think we’ll see driverless vehicles soon too. No more dropping the kids off at school, no more driving yourself home pissed anymore. Self shuttling your DH runs! That really will be a game changer.

Haakon

Did the Fuego's have the flaming chicken on the bonnet?
Lol. No, only Americans can get away with such things.

The Fuegos were fun. Lengthways engine and fwd like an Audi = lead tipped arrow. They were awesome for lift oversteer on dirt roads playing wannabe rally driver :) Had two, an early without power steering and a late one with. They needed power steering...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sorry to hear of your Golf woes @Scotty T! I’ve always liked the Golf, it’s the sort of small car a bloke can get away with. Even a Bavarian X3 looks like a soccer mum should be behind the wheel. I knew a guy a few years ago in Adelaide that had a run of the mill 4 cylinder 3 series from memory, it used to get over 1000km from a tank on the open road.

Electric cars are on their way for sure, and I think we’ll see driverless vehicles soon too. No more dropping the kids off at school, no more driving yourself home pissed anymore. Self shuttling your DH runs! That really will be a game changer.
Mazda is still developing petrol cars that can run twice as lean as previous models.

https://www.mechanic.com.au/news/hc...BH2RgVo6hQiPzmhzAVEgePpzSv8RKfz3DVBzytxQ8gYH0

Last edited:

Haakon

Skyactiv X - making a petrol run like a diesel. Has required some very tricky engineering and some extremely good engine management electronics to make it work. Interesting play by Mazda, throwing their lot in with ICE hanging around rather than electrifying - they’re banking on holding a niche market and they might just do well out of it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Interesting play by Mazda, throwing their lot in with ICE hanging around rather than electrifying - they’re banking on holding a niche market and they might just do well out of it.
The paradox is as more cars/technologies move away from petrol, fuel demand and prices will weaken.