Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Me and all the people over 60 yo dont need to worry about what happens after 2050.
Obviously a hopeless situation since there is not many people prepared to give up their comforts and stop consuming.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Me and all the people over 60 yo dont need to worry about what happens after 2050.
Obviously a hopeless situation since there is not many people prepared to give up their comforts and stop consuming.
I think you have basically nailed it!..everybody stop what you are doing, but not me!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Life’s absolute necessities are very few. We need to move closer to that and away from so much unnecessary consumption. The system needs to change to support all through it.
There’s fuck all chance of any of that happening.
Just a simple reminder of where some of your hard earned money gets wasted.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
thats all well and good, but how do we make solar panels, inverters, wind turbines etc...we need energy to make energy making things, do you see my point!..
do we stop making air conditioners, computers, televisions, fridges, cars, furniture, food processing just so we can offset the energy needed to make renewables?
We need energy. Not fossil energy. Renewable energy can make renewable kit.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Something a lot cheaper than nuclear!!

Once all subsidies are removed, renewables are cheaper than fossil anywya
well yes, but back to my original point....how the fuck do we manufacture enough renewable energy devices and infrastructure hardware on a scale of what we believe is required to turn back the tide by using only renewable energy from solar and wind...I have a hard time believing that large scale PV factories, industrial production facilities big enough to pump out huge volumes of product for an increasing global demand is supplied by renewables and not coal..and please don't refer to the Three Gorges Dam hydro as a solution!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
well yes, but back to my original point....how the fuck do we manufacture enough renewable energy devices and infrastructure hardware on a scale of what we believe is required to turn back the tide by using only renewable energy from solar and wind...I have a hard time believing that large scale PV factories, industrial production facilities big enough to pump out huge volumes of product for an increasing global demand is supplied by renewables and not coal..and please don't refer to the Three Gorges Dam hydro as a solution!
As @hifiandmtb said at what ever cost it takes because the other option will cost soooo much more. Instead of everyone saying they find it hard to believe etc we need to be saying let make this happen.

If we really wanted to get rid of coal all we would have to do is charge the mining companies the standard fuel tax that almost every other Australian business pays and all of a sudden we would not be having this discussion because the miners wouldn't want it. Those hall packs are not exactly fuel efficient and if they had to pay the real price for fuel then it would be staying in the ground.

I understand the argument that it takes coal to make renewables but that only works because we are to lazy to find another way. The human race is not stupid and to say we could not find a way of creating enough energy to build up capacity is simplifying a complex argument that has many answers.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
we are not too lazy, we all know what needs to happen.its just that we are not ready yet
what i'm saying is that until renewables are a worldwide viable option to replace coal and other fossil fuels, we are stuck with them..like it or not!
if India doesn't get the coal it requires to feed its fairly new industrial revolution through the likes of Adani, it will just get it from somewhere else around the world..the fact remains that the coal will still be dug out of the earths crust and burnt, weather it comes from australia or not!
if you want to make a real difference, unplug your computer and throw it in the Ewaste bin, stop buying plastic bicycle parts, and live off the land
but that ain't gonna happen either is it, too many hypocrites out there on this subject

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I'm looking forward to all of us to be told to stop consuming like there's no tomorrow & regulated accordingly.

As stated earlier, individuals are not going to solve this individually.

Read this, FBOAB.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
The excuse that India will get it's coal from somewhere else is like saying "officer it's ok I just sold drugs to that junky because if I didn't someone else would" justifying the act because someone else would have if you didn't does not make the act ok.
Yes we need to consume way less than we are and I actively try and curb my consumption but I agree it's hard. The excuse that we shouldn't do anything because other countries are bigger, make more CO2, they were going to get it from somewhere else etc etc is just is just that excuses.
Sample changes from individuals won't fix this but when larger organisations and governments see that individuals can't be conned with their slogans then maybe they will start getting on board.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Simple changes from individuals won't fix this but when larger organisations and governments see that individuals can't be conned with their slogans then maybe they will start getting on board.
Alas the overwhelming evidence to date suggests that individuals are eminently connable...

wavike

Likes Dirt
Governments, business and most individuals are addicted to GROWTH. Sustainability and growth can't exist together at present and unlikely in the foreseeable future. Lots of talk about the environment , while the actual doing is build and consume at cost of environmental damage.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Governments, business and most individuals are addicted to GROWTH. Sustainability and growth can't exist together at present and unlikely in the foreseeable future. Lots of talk about the environment , while the actual doing is build and consume at cost of environmental damage.
I work in sustainability and it boggles my mind how oblivious (in particular the young greenies) are to this. It's like their solution to a takeaway coffee cup is to produce a more dense coffee cup that is more environmentally damaging that people lose and chuck away after less than the require amount of uses. The solution to population is to welcome everyone to Australia, build the mother of all energy intensive desal plants to cope with the dry continent.