Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Electric vehicles will be really important as they can be recharged at home w PV solar so the price of electricity wont be such an issue. Certainly I know someone that does this .
Obviously on a long trip you need charging stations along the road.
Car batteries plugged in a home can also be a form of household storage.
The big users of energy are electricity, transport ,agriculture and industry.
So far its mainly electricity production that we have addressed.
In agriculture its possible to have electric tractors but animals producing methane are a greenhouse problem too.
$60000 for a 400km range Hyundai - means the entry bar has been lowered somewhat, and this will continue to change (quickly now).

I have a bit of confidence in the AgTech space for coming up with solutions to adapt to climate change. Since you mentioned methane, this idea looked interesting last year: https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-eating-seaweed-can-help-cows-to-belch-less-methane

Of course, much better to switch away from animal-based foods, but society will cling to that mindset for a while yet..

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Kona and Leaf priced too high... If Labour get in there will be some tax breaks like every other country though that will help.

For $60K, I'll wait for a Model 3...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Model 3 will be 70k if they ever get here methinks, nobody knows yet.

I drove an Ioniq today, nice car, super quiet, snappy on the throttle, 200 and something range. We also have some older Leafs at work I've driven, the Ioniq is better executed and lets you do the one pedal driving thing, which is hard to get used to but pretty cool. The old Leaf is lucky to get 100km range.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I’d like to quote someone I know

The world's energy is only 20% electricity.

1. Of that, two thirds is fossil fuel.

2. For a 50/50 chance of 1.5C with low overshoot, we need: emissions reductions rivalling those that occurred during the collapse of the Soviet Union but globally, starting in 8 months so that global emissions are halved by 2030. That is PROVIDED we manage to ALSO sink 1 to 2 global ocean's worth of carbon this century somehow, and at a rate that we're sinking one ocean worth by 2050 in 30 years.

3. But emissions are rising at record rates, there is no peak in sight, we have no idea how to maintain society with rapid decarbonisation and we have no idea how to sink an ocean's worth of carbon.

4. Investments worth tens of billions of dollars are being made in fossil fuel extraction infrastructure ADVERTISED BY GOVERNMENTS, totalling hundreds of billions each year, with project lifetimes lasting decades.

5. Coral is already dying en masse and Antarctic glaciers have sped up rapidly.

6. And like I said, all that for a 50/50 chance.

SO WINNING SLOWLY IS THE SAME AS LOSING.

But hey, have you heard of the new battery? It's very exciting says the politician whose votes and livelihood depend on PR and commerce.

A new battery means nothing. It means you lose.
He says it better than I do...

John U

MTB Precision
CPRS was a Greens screw up. They opposed it in the end because the actions were not strong enough - so we ended up with no action. Good work... Had they let it through, it was to have started out for a while softly softly and then once it was part of the scenery it would be slowly turned up.
If my memory serves me correctly, the Greens attempted to negotiate with Rudd's version but couldn't come to agreement, negotiated an acceptable position with the to be Gillard government, which worked in reducing carbon emissions, and didn't clout the poor. Then Abbott came up with the "Carbon Tax" lie which was perpetuated by all media, unchallenged. Abbott campaigned relentlessly on this one thing and the media let that go too. Here we are now.

I might be a bit cloudy, but I'm going to suggest your recollection is more cloudy than mine, and prescribe a reassessment of the greens for ya.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I drove an Ioniq today, nice car, super quiet, snappy on the throttle, 200 and something range. We also have some older Leafs at work I've driven, the Ioniq is better executed and lets you do the one pedal driving thing, which is hard to get used to but pretty cool. The old Leaf is lucky to get 100km range.
I haven't driven the old Leaf but I preferred the new one to the Ioniq. I thought the e-Pedal was nicer and I don't like how harshly Hyundais are sprung. It was the strangest Japanese car I've driven though; a foreign model with RHD, miles and the indicator on the left. The speedo units didn't click until after I had put my foot down though :oops:.

Edit: Actually, I have driven the old Leaf. It was a bit strange and I hated the hockey-puck style shifter. The shifter on the new one isn't conventional either but I don't dislike it quite as much.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If my memory serves me correctly, the Greens attempted to negotiate with Rudd's version but couldn't come to agreement, negotiated an acceptable position with the to be Gillard government, which worked in reducing carbon emissions, and didn't clout the poor. Then Abbott came up with the "Carbon Tax" lie which was perpetuated by all media, unchallenged. Abbott campaigned relentlessly on this one thing and the media let that go too. Here we are now.

I might be a bit cloudy, but I'm going to suggest your recollection is more cloudy than mine, and prescribe a reassessment of the greens for ya.
No, you’re mixing up the CPRS and the CPM ;) Differnet beasts from differnet times.

Your assessment of the media and abbot is correct though.

It’s depressingly stupid... I’ve never not voted greens, not sure I can do that any more.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It’s depressingly stupid... I’ve never not voted greens, not sure I can do that any more.
The Victorian results suggest that positive reinforcement with Labor might be the way to go. But the cold hard reality is unless you live in a handful of seats, your vote doesn't matter - tides are changing though.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Let this one sink in a bit....

Record low for this time of year - will be interesting to see what happens over next few months and how much that trend recovers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I work with a fellow who is sure it's all a myth...huge pain in the arse when our employer has a strong recycle message and expects us to follow the corporate line. Instead we end up with all the recycling contaminated and tossed in the garbage. Sometimes a hobo will rummage for the big cash flow from the bottles, but not often.