Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It is though. If you have a job and want to buy a house (not everyone wants to buy a house and often there is plenty of justification to not buy one) then you can make it happen, it might just take some sacrifices and hard work. Don't let the media tell you otherwise.
I could go into all the reasons I didn't, lots of coulda woulda shoulda centered around the idea of you dont know what you dont know. But the short version there are other reasons some people cant beyond the technical ability to do it financially.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I could go into all the reasons I didn't, lots of coulda woulda shoulda centered around the idea of you dont know what you dont know. But the short version there are other reasons some people cant beyond the technical ability to do it financially.
Yeah, like being a filthy self entitled millenial.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah, like being a filthy self entitled millenial.
Or being a financially illiterate hippie kid with no clue how to even think about asking the questions. And never getting my head past the day to day of rent and expenses and wondering if I'll have a job next month - a loan of several hundred thousand dollars was never something I thought I could even think about and there was no one in my family or circle to suggest otherwise.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Or being a financially illiterate hippie kid with no clue how to even think about asking the questions. And never getting my head past the day to day of rent and expenses and wondering if I'll have a job next month - a loan of several hundred thousand dollars was never something I thought I could even think about and there was no one in my family or circle to suggest otherwise.

So gen-X...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Never too late my dude. Just don’t look at sydney.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
It is though. If you have a job and want to buy a house (not everyone wants to buy a house and often there is plenty of justification to not buy one) then you can make it happen, it might just take some sacrifices and hard work. Don't let the media tell you otherwise.
True, but you might be limited to where you live, and it is increasingly harder (this chart from one of many):

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Never too late my dude. Just don’t look at sydney.
We had 200K in cash sitting there and no idea how to use it... But have a residential town block I'm currently subdividing and flipping and hopefully make a few quid - and then maybe buy a house in Hobart (prices up 30% in last 4 years... Doh) or Launceston with a longer term view to living there.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
you might be limited to where you live
Limits to where you live aren't limits on where you buy. Or what you buy for that matter. You can rent where you need to live and buy where you can afford. Over time build up enough assets to buy where you want. Or yiu can build up a more diverse investment portfolio and as your assets grow...

We had 200K in cash sitting there and no idea how to use it... But have a residential town block I'm currently subdividing and flipping and hopefully make a few quid - and then maybe buy a house in Hobart (prices up 30% in last 4 years... Doh) or Launceston with a longer term view to living there.
Now who is making the moves! You're almost a property developer...

Blame shifting is very gen-X. Those fucking boomers...holding on and taking too much of the fucking pie! Then giving it to those whiney millennials.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Limits to where you live aren't limits on where you buy. Or what you buy for that matter. You can rent where you need to live and buy where you can afford. Over time build up enough assets to buy where you want. Or yiu can build up a more diverse investment portfolio and as your assets grow...
But it hasn't always been like that. And I would prefer to be able to own where I work (which for me is a reality, just not at that stage yet).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But it hasn't always been like that. And I would prefer to be able to own where I work (which for me is a reality, just not at that stage yet).
Same, I'm just saying that sometimes it becomes a long game and requires some tactics.

More to topic I'm hoping we see a switch in the conversation from affordability to sustainability. My local turf is rapidly being ripped up for "progress" and I think we all know that this is a pollution heavy process with little to zero fucks given at all levels. Of course affordability is thrown about a little but it seems more a marketing term than a reality.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My father never owned a house. He was provided one or had subsidised rent throughout his career. He died just before retiring and we were able to buy the company owned house they had been using for something like 15 years. This had been negotiated as he was in his final year of employment. Mum couldnt think of living in a rented property when there was no income despite the economics suggesting that was the best option. Later, as she moved into smaller places and ultimately into care each time she downsized she was able to top up her holiday fund and buy some new goods to decorate her new places. When she left the living there was virtually nothing left so in the end it worked out well and she had the benefit of all her and my father's toil.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Who did those numbers? Way off-unless you count the entire world population. A current 60 yr old male has an average life ex-ectancy of 2043 according to the ABS calculator and 2046 for a female.

Bunch of millennials having a whine and claiming they are the only ones that care - self absorbed twats

Trying to pretend that an older generation doesn’t give a shit and by implication is wilfully destroying the planet is the sort of divisive rant that gets the whole debate now where at all, and more likely sets the debate backwards

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Trying to pretend that an older generation doesn’t give a shit and by implication is wilfully destroying the planet is the sort of divisive rant that gets the whole debate now where at all, and more likely sets the debate backwards
Pity it's true.

I know hardly any older peeps who aren't jetting about the planet at least once a year. And actively ignoring CC.

This is not a debate, there's nothing to debate. Only science & shit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Plenty of millennials fly all over the place. It's easier than buying a house and avocado is a lot cheaper in many places.