Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
At this point, we control nothing...we never really have.

I give not a shit what they say in the papers. But the truth is that human lifetimes and their attention spans are incredibly short. And the impacts already built in to the system are multitude...even with mitigation.

Mitigation is comparatively cheap and should be done but it won't be politically popular. Vested interests will be opposed and voters ambivalent. Primarily because we are ace at short term thinking. Therefore...it probably won't be done.

Adaptation is a very different story. It won't be done in an orderly fashion because it is expensive. However, it does have some quick response times if you pick the right options so it will be very useful for pork barrelling. And yet...it will be the most politically effective response for the impacts already built in. And that is really all that matters.

After all...we all know how short our attention spans really are.
Sorry, what was that?

oh! Shiny thing!

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had the video feed on from Parliament (today they we debating the “big stick” legislation that includes those new powers to underwrite with tax dollars new fossil generators - probably not great timing PR wise...) and saw the Jordon Steele John bloke give the government and opposition a serious spray. It’s worth watching if you can find a YouTube link, he got stuck in!
It's a bit ironic but its on Sky news. https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6102773671001

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
You've been listening to the LNP/murdoch line i fear that we will only be effective if the rest of the world does something too. This is bullshit - the rest of the world is on it and waaaaay ahead of us. We are the laggards here and already mooching off the efforts of others.
Sometimes...you really can be an insufferable idiot.

You know as well as I do that there is a thing called a lag time. Even if your bosses said 'We shall emitt no more' tomorrow, we both know that that will make zilch difference for a couple of centuries.

We also both know that our political masters rely on quick fixes to get elected. Mitigation is not a quick fix. Things will get a lot worse before they get better...and this won't help them get elected either.

Adding in the adaptive option is the only alternative...and yet that is too expensive. And our approaches to it (like your thinking at times) far too simplistic...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
oh! Shiny thing!
Tesla, Plant a tree (hoping it doesn't catch on fire). Solar array on a roof. Shiny things.

SBD - at this point, adaptation will be living without insurance or moving because your house is burnt down & never returning.

And we seem to have forgotten the little SLR problem.

Adaptation will only entail billions of people being under water.

Sweet.

Adapt.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Sometimes...you really can be an insufferable idiot.

You know as well as I do that there is a thing called a lag time. Even if your bosses said 'We shall emitt no more' tomorrow, we both know that that will make zilch difference for a couple of centuries.

We also both know that our political masters rely on quick fixes to get elected. Mitigation is not a quick fix. Things will get a lot worse before they get better...and this won't help them get elected either.

Adding in the adaptive option is the only alternative...and yet that is too expensive. And our approaches to it (like your thinking at times) far too simplistic...
You mean like what this chart shows?

Blah blah blah adapt blah blah blah.

Adapt means business as usual, there will be little focus on the "rapid decarbonisation" conundrum & then we won't be able to fucking well adapt!

The only thing to talk about now is mitigation!!! Adaptation comes later.

Cart. Horse.

silentbutdeadly

Tesla, Plant a tree (hoping it doesn't catch on fire). Solar array on a roof. Shiny things.

SBD - at this point, adaptation will be living without insurance or moving because your house is burnt down & never returning.

And we seem to have forgotten the little SLR problem.

Adaptation will only entail billions of people being under water.

Sweet.

Adapt.
You are right. And that's actually assuming mitigation. So what is our adaptation strategy even if mitigation works?

silentbutdeadly

You mean like what this chart shows?

Blah blah blah adapt blah blah blah.

Adapt means business as usual, there will be little focus on the "rapid decarbonisation" conundrum & then we won't be able to fucking well adapt!

The only thing to talk about now is mitigation!!! Adaptation comes later.

Cart. Horse.
We are about 80 to 100 years late on the mitigation...might have to adapt to that?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I despair that even within this tiny arena we still can't reach a consensus on climate action and yet we somehow expect to resolve this on a global scale, we've discussed and debated this for near eighteen months and even without having to contend with climate change deniers or corrupt leaders holding vested interests we can't present a unified approach. This seems like it's mimicked across the entire population, just the same rhetorics going around and around.

Haakon

Bloody bell that’s hard to watch with the bloody pop up ads fucking everywhere... And some people still suggest Murdoch is not a commercially driven biased media!

hahaha! Fuck.... https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6102532910001

wtf? https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6095418692001

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6095787055001

ok, that’s enough through the looking glass for one day... Fuck me, people read this shit regularly

Last edited:

Haakon

I despair that even within this tiny arena we still can't reach a consensus on climate action and yet we somehow expect to resolve this on a global scale, we've discussed and debated this for near eighteen months and even without having to contend with climate change deniers or corrupt leaders holding vested interests we can't present a unified approach. This seems like it's mimicked across the entire population, just the same rhetorics going around and around.
Sometimes I think humans just work better with a feudal or dictatorial set up... Kicker is that kings and dictators rarely have the greater good in mind - because they’re humans...

We’re doomed...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I despair that even within this tiny arena we still can't reach a consensus
This is the core of the problem.

If we want to distill it down and have the best chance it would sound something like, we need to stop burning fossil fuels by XX date. And then discuss how we go about this. After that we can then think about sequestration, because I rekon that is the only way to get out of this mess.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Bloody bell that’s hard to watch with the bloody pop up ads fucking everywhere... And some people still suggest Murdoch is not a commercially driven biased media!

hahaha! Fuck.... https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6102532910001

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6095787055001

ok, that’s enough through the looking glass for one day... Fuck me, people read this shit regularly
Google chrome seems to block most of the ads, I only get a small one that comes up on the bottom.

Haakon

Google chrome seems to block most of the ads, I only get a small one that comes up on the bottom.
safari on my phone is pretty bad for those sort of sites. Lucky i never visit them...

The type of ads is also scary... Do people really live in a world where that sort of shit is appealing? Don’t answer that, I’m already depressed enough as it is...

Flow-Rider

Burner
safari on my phone is pretty bad for those sort of sites. Lucky i never visit them...

The type of ads is also scary... Do people really live in a world where that sort of shit is appealing? Don’t answer that, I’m already depressed enough as it is...
What ad did you receive I just get bike parts ads ? One before this was a go pro ad.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
This is the core of the problem.

If we want to distill it down and have the best chance it would sound something like, we need to stop burning fossil fuels by XX date. And then discuss how we go about this. After that we can then think about sequestration, because I rekon that is the only way to get out of this mess.
Yet theres not a lot we can do on an individual level that can significantly contribute to the reduction of the burning of fossil fuels (besides going vegan). It requires action at a government level, but when the government looks down at the masses and sees they are willing to work and consume in these ways what motivation do they have to change anything?

People keep saying that it isn't about individual responsiblity, but government is made up of individuals and they interact with other individuals. If they don't see any changes in society why would they inact policies that risk alienating themselves from society?

Go vegan, do it now. Other people will follow, once more people follow, media will create more characters in shows and movies that are vegan and it will become more normal. The masses will follow and a massive reduction in the burning of fossil fuels will be made and once the economies of scale are reduced because it isnt as leveraged by the animal industry.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Go vegan, do it now.
I rekon vegan have done more damage wrt environmental progress than good. Their hard line makes it look like environment issues are so unattainable for the masses and people switch off. It's the equivalent of going cold turkey on a decade long heroin addiction.

People keep saying that it isn't about individual responsiblity
The problem with behavior change individual responsibility actions is it is very hard and expensive to get mass adoption and the second problem is it is transient (i.e. vegans tend to go back to an omnivore diet). If you look at any significant change it follows the same patterns, incentives for early adopters, mass market uptake and then you have to regulate the laggards. This can work in a lot of things like emissions, but good luck applying this to diet.

I tend to think that we need to narrow our focus and hit the big items and unfortunately veganism is not one that is particularly cost effective, long lasting or easy to implement. There are many other better initiatives that have far bigger outcomes and shouting 'go vegan' is really counter intuitive for the cause imo.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I rekon vegan have done more damage wrt environmental progress than good. Their hard line makes it look like environment issues are so unattainable for the masses and people switch off. It's the equivalent of going cold turkey on a decade long heroin addiction.

There are many other better initiatives that have far bigger outcomes and shouting 'go vegan' is really counter intuitive for the cause imo.
It isnt about me shouting go vegan, its about people like yourself just doing it instead of contemplating all of the what ifs.
It is something entirely controllable on an individual level and requires very little effort once practiced, it is the most accessible and immediately effective thing an idividual can do.

The problem is that as individuals, people don't actually do anything, they just sit in a state of angry inaction.

Maybe I should shout something like... Think about the ways you can enact changes in your lifestyle that could reduce your carbon footprint and do them. One of the easiest and most effective is veganism, consider it and do your research, but once you do you'll quickly find that its at the forefront in terms of individual action. Both government and individual action is required, especially if the current goverment is not representative of the people, the people have to be respresentatives of themselves.

But thats a long sentance. Also nothing is stopping anyone from doing multiple things at once.

Last edited: