Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Using the cost/benefit line just demonstrates how much of a weasel mouthed fucktard that man is...

"Yeah it's happening but doing anything about it will probably cost more than the financial benefit...so it's still ok to do sod all."

Have I summarised that dunces opinion piece correctly?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hi all,

This is an utter emergency!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/13/january-hottest-earth-record-climate-crisis

Meanwhile, the Antarctic has begun February with several temperature spikes. The southern polar continent broke 20C (68F) for the first time in its history on 9 February, following another previous high of 18.3C just three days previously. Scientists called the readings “incredible and abnormal”.
Think about this the next time you decide to burp C02. Like climb on a plane.

We need to ration, starting now!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I just got down to watching the documentary, Behind the Curve. It's interesting to see the similarities between Flat Earthers and Anti Climate Change believers. Both have similar distrust in science and scientists. Both believe that scientists are just creating the information to fund their own research. Both seem to think it is some kind of government conspiracy. Both cherry pick actual science to prove their predetermined beliefs. Both get most of their "proof" from memes and Youtube.
I am shocked at how many are heading down this path

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I just got down to watching the documentary, Behind the Curve. It's interesting to see the similarities between Flat Earthers and Anti Climate Change believers. Both have similar distrust in science and scientists. Both believe that scientists are just creating the information to fund their own research. Both seem to think it is some kind of government conspiracy. Both cherry pick actual science to prove their predetermined beliefs. Both get most of their "proof" from memes and Youtube.
I am shocked at how many are heading down this path
They're allowed to be whatever they want to be. Everyone gets a trophy. Winning is oppression. TwitFaceGram is the news.

What did we think would happen?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I get Gerry McGovern's newsletter on tech and web for work purposes, in this one he has some really good points, e-commerce packaging is a very big problem and the numbers are much bigger than I ever considered. Could big locals like MTB direct work on this by using small, cheap outlets, where bulk shipments arrive every two days during the week and we go pick it up? They keep things like consumables in stock locally? The bulk shipping would partly offset the staffing and premises. Places like Monkey Wrench could act as agents. We get to feel nice saving (small amounts of) co2, while continuing to cook the planet buying new shit.

https://gerrymcgovern.com/designing-without-the-packaging/

Edit: returns, there would be a lessened impact because obvious mistakes would be spotted at pickup, it can either sit at the outlet until someone else orders it and be sent to the next destination if the order is not getting picked up from the same outlet.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
They're allowed to be whatever they want to be. Everyone gets a trophy. Winning is oppression. TwitFaceGram is the news.

What did we think would happen?
I don't think this is the reason why anti-vaxers and flat earthers exist.

I think they exist precisely because the political, news and advertising landscapes have been filled with propaganda to the point where you could make a rational sounding case for anything.
I think that social media copied conventional and tabloid news outlets, not the other way around.
Now they are forced to compete with each other and they are slowly becoming the same thing.

When winning is everything inspite of dignity, integrity and character of the competitors, what did we think would happen?

FigBo0T

I don't think this is the reason why anti-vaxers and flat earthers exist.

I think they exist precisely because the political, news and advertising landscapes have been filled with propaganda to the point where you could make a rational sounding case for anything.
I think that social media copied conventional and tabloid news outlets, not the other way around.
Now they are forced to compete with each other and they are slowly becoming the same thing.

When winning is everything inspite of dignity, integrity and character of the competitors, what did we think would happen?
That's nice. I have no idea why you quoted me.

FigBo0T

ok boomer
There are no rational sounding cases for anti-vax or flat earth. None.
Social media is replacing conventional news. What other way around are you talking about?
Winning is oppression. Didn't you get the memo?