Playstation 3 Thread

Dougy

Likes Dirt
There's a new PS4 racer coming out called Drive Club and it could be interesting. It's based around racing as teams or clubs which is similar to what people do with GT online. If game play is up to scratch it might be a GT alternative.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I bought a PS3 purely for the launch of GTAV, but now am keen to buy some more titles to entertain myself. What is the best racing game do you reakon?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The best racing game? Here goes:
Gran Turismo 5 - purely racing and driving in real life cars. It can be a little boring if you're looking for some fun but it is a driving simulator but it does take some time to work up to some harder races.
Dirt series - loosely based on rallying and car shenanigans, is simulator-ish but bloody fun.
Burnout series - destruction in cars on roads. Is good.
F1 games - purely racing in near uncontrollable cars. Only tackle that if you like precision.

Knuckles, tell me you didn't just suggest GTA is the best racing game on the system. That'd be a pretty wild claim!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Knuckles, tell me you didn't just suggest GTA is the best racing game on the system. That'd be a pretty wild claim!
Arrgh, no. Miss read his post, thought he was talking about GT 5, GT 6 is coming, have preordered it. I have kids so the GTA games have no interest for me.

Little Big Planet Kart is an awesome little racer to play with the squids.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I was so keen for GTA online, cant get it to work at all. Bad times.
It's pretty much common knowledge that big name releases always have server issues for the first couple of weeks. Even Rockstar themselves said there will be a lot of teething problems. I'm going to wait until I've exhausted the single player before trying. Hopefully by then Rockstar will have ironed out the server issues and the release of BF4 and the latest COD will soak up some of the hordes who are all trying to play online at the same time.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up GTA V yesterday - wow how good are the graphics! Only spent an hour or so playing it so far!

Definately hanging out for GT6 - I lost interest in GT5 a while back seeing as you can earn super bucks online and buy and mod anything you want!

Might check out F1 2013 as well - have played F1 2012 on and off but 2013 looks like it has more variety! (I've only read the back of the cover!)

Has anyone traded games with EB or JB Hifi? What sort of $/store credit do you get? I find it pointless keeping older generations of games - for instance I'm not chance of playing GTA IV now I have GTA V...same story for F1, Fifa, GT etc.

Capone

Likes Dirt
Picked up GTA V yesterday - wow how good are the graphics! Only spent an hour or so playing it so far!

Definately hanging out for GT6 - I lost interest in GT5 a while back seeing as you can earn super bucks online and buy and mod anything you want!

Might check out F1 2013 as well - have played F1 2012 on and off but 2013 looks like it has more variety! (I've only read the back of the cover!)

Has anyone traded games with EB or JB Hifi? What sort of $/store credit do you get? I find it pointless keeping older generations of games - for instance I'm not chance of playing GTA IV now I have GTA V...same story for F1, Fifa, GT etc.
It was great while my PS3 was alive, now it works and then stops reading the disk, did a cleaning jobby and after an hour was back to square 1.

This is my 4th PS3, complete pieces of shit, great when they work.

At least as a positive PS4 is only 1 month away.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

GTAV is bloody great, it's so funny and I can spend a ton of time on it.
I got F1 2013 yesty on launch day and it's very similar to F1 2012 in looks and sounds. It does have a little bit more feel to car than previous games which will make playing the game on the hardest level a little bit tougher. My steering wheel was calibrated quite well when I loaded the game unlike previous games so it only required a couple of preference tweaks. The addition of classic mode is great. So far we have the cars and a couple of tracks from the 1980's with the 1990's content coming soon. I'm really excited for the 1990's stuff, V10's!
Store credit from those two is pretty minimal but I still use it. Some games that are a couple of years old may only get you $5 but it's better off in your pocket rather than sitting unused in your house.
I watched the video yesterday of Gran Turismo 6 showing off the Mt Panorama content. That, my dear friends.....is rad!

Capone

Likes Dirt
GTAV is bloody great, it's so funny and I can spend a ton of time on it.
I got F1 2013 yesty on launch day and it's very similar to F1 2012 in looks and sounds. It does have a little bit more feel to car than previous games which will make playing the game on the hardest level a little bit tougher. My steering wheel was calibrated quite well when I loaded the game unlike previous games so it only required a couple of preference tweaks. The addition of classic mode is great. So far we have the cars and a couple of tracks from the 1980's with the 1990's content coming soon. I'm really excited for the 1990's stuff, V10's!
Store credit from those two is pretty minimal but I still use it. Some games that are a couple of years old may only get you $5 but it's better off in your pocket rather than sitting unused in your house.
I watched the video yesterday of Gran Turismo 6 showing off the Mt Panorama content. That, my dear friends.....is rad!
Got a link for that video, GT6 is going to be sweet, especially on PS4

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was great while my PS3 was alive, now it works and then stops reading the disk, did a cleaning jobby and after an hour was back to square 1.
When you say stops reading the disc, does it just freeze up? This has happened a couple of times to me. But every time it happened the console was incredibly hot, so I figured it was just run to long. Is this a sign my unit is on it's way out? And can it be prevented? Really don't want to have to buy another haha

Capone

Likes Dirt
When you say stops reading the disc, does it just freeze up? This has happened a couple of times to me. But every time it happened the console was incredibly hot, so I figured it was just run to long. Is this a sign my unit is on it's way out? And can it be prevented? Really don't want to have to buy another haha
No does freeze still let's you walk or drive but there will be no noise, checkpoint can't be loaded etc. I did some research and everything said dirty laser, I might give it one more clean and see what happens.

Does your freeze issue affect any game

driftking

Wheel size expert

Get the classic version of F1 it should be pretty good having some older tracks and cars in it.

I never played 2012 I played 2011 and I loved it, the TC off was amazingly hard to drive (the only negative was that DRS off was dictated by tires not race condition, so If you went out on dry tires in a wet race you could still use drs and finally the AI was impossible to beat in intermediate conditions where it was still raining, they were able to run dry tires or take off on inters when you had to feather it like crazy.

2012 i avoided because I heard that TC off was like on of medium on 2011 which to me was way way to easy, I think its stupid to fall to pressure like that if people cant drive with it off than turn it on, don't make it easier so people feel awesome because now they cans ay they drive with TC off. I hope they fix it all for the next series.

As for GT5 the whole B sepc was frustrating, needed to sit there the whole race I wish you could fast forward it or at least reduce the laps they are double what you do in A-spec. I also found B-spec sort of annoying in general, id much prefer a A spec team races where you use a simple up or down system to regulate the other drivers speed etc. (anyone played the old juiced game) that was a good system you build a team of drivers but you were part of the team, game was poor but that concept of driver was incorporated well (I enjoyed the betting concept too).

Id arguably sit on the fence on this one but I do like the proposed idea that 24horu races should not be a full 24hours for yourself, in where real life you have 3 or 4 drivers anyway so you only need to do stints rather than the entire 24 hours. (allowing you to skip the AI stints (although just this has its issues with how they drive) I also do like the whole 24 hour race but I have only done one the entire time I have owned the game, mainly because to unlock the final one you need to do the prior 24hours like 3times.