Plenty Gorge and Parks Vic

big gags

Likes Bikes
Had today off and went out to the Gorge with a mate who is down from NSW. I took the Yeti Big Top that I scored from Big JD a few months back and we parked at the reserve on Goolgung Grove and then as we were entering the Gorge who should we come across but Big JD who was just getting his bike off the roof of his car!! We hooked up for a ride and JD led us down one of the first runs with the small jumps on it and he was in front of me and throwing the bike around pretty well for a big guy!! I hit one of the jumps a touch out of shape and was coming down with the front of the bike canted a bit to the side - I thought I was going to be OK but as I landed the front tyre rolled and burped and I ended up on the deck (I was running tubeless but in hindsight might have had not quite enough air in there!!). I was a bit scratched up my LH mid-section but the main injury was to my pride and the only bright side was that I was able to pop the tyre back onto the bead using a CO2 canister without having to put a tube in.

We carried on and ended up doing a pretty nice loop at a gentlemen's pace and there were quite a few sections that I hadn't seen before which were pretty nice and JD took us down a couple of sections in the reverse direction to what I have ridden them before which was good too!!

It was a beautiful day out and I was half expecting to see a snake today but the only wildlife were a heap of kangaroos.

Thanks for the company JD - awesome day for a ride.

Gags

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah thanks for the company today Gags- gentleman a pace indeed (you are too kind). Waiting for me on all the climbs more like it.
Great day

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Was also out today and saw the "work"parks did on white cow.what a joke.They are either lazy or stupid.Of the (maybe)one square soil that was removed to build the two quite jump able pumps,they have replaced maybe a quarter .Making it neither here nor there.Looks like vandalism to me .

Was also out today and saw the "work"parks did on white cow.what a joke.They are either lazy or stupid.Of the (maybe)one square soil that was removed to build the two quite jump able pumps,they have replaced maybe a quarter .Making it neither here nor there.Looks like vandalism to me .
In fairness, everybody knew the score & guys continued carrying out works on them despite requests from both the PG club & PV to hold back from any further building... & now a few people are surprised that PV have done what PV thought necessary to reel the situation back in, along with several other areas in the park, because people are in there building again. Based on the history & regular notices to everyone then I know who the stupid ones in the equation were & it sure isn't PV or the club.

Timbot

Likes Dirt
In fairness, everybody knew the score & guys continued carrying out works on them despite requests from both the PG club & PV to hold back from any further building... & now a few people are surprised that PV have done what PV thought necessary to reel the situation back in, along with several other areas in the park, because people are in there building again. Based on the history & regular notices to everyone then I know who the stupid ones in the equation were & it sure isn't PV or the club.
I understand this but they have done an extra ordinary job .

redbruce

Eats Squid
I understand this but they have done an extra ordinary job .
Then would be better to attack the fundamental cause rather than the consequences. What exactly did you expect to achieve out of that?

You also might want to consider stakeholder management 101 to avoid inadvertently or otherwise pissing onto your fellow (assuming you are one)volunteers working with land manager to improve the area for the mtb community.

Last edited:

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Then would be better to attack the fundamental cause rather than the consequences. What exactly did you expect to achieve out of that?

You also might want to consider stakeholder management 101 to avoid inadvertently or otherwise pissing onto your fellow (assuming you are one)volunteers working with land manager to improve the area for the mtb community.
Boo hoo.Such harsh language.im sure there skin is thick enough to handle some criticism.If not then "whatever ".If I do a half arsed job at work then my boss would probably ask if I am lazy or just stupid.

Boo hoo.Such harsh language.im sure there skin is thick enough to handle some criticism.If not then "whatever ".If I do a half arsed job at work then my boss would probably ask if I am lazy or just stupid.
Now you're really sounding like a muppet, Timbot. You've a fundamentally misguided idea of what PV are employed to do & it'd be generous to suggest you're even being half-arsed in taking a moment to understand the issue at hand, in an area that has had considerable advancement as far as being recognised as a place for mtbers to legally ride. So don't worry, we're all pretty clear that you weren't actually offering a professional critique of PV's work let alone a valid point of criticism.

Seriously, were you expecting PV to return the trail to the state it was in prior to the unsanctioned (& rather significant excavation) works? Do you have any concept for the fact that by PV having to spend their time undoing the works it's money, time & resources that not only detracts from the end goal for mtbers/mtbing but it has implications on the club & those who volunteer & dedicate their time & energy to making PG happen? It damages the goodwill & the relationship between PV & the club. Hence the 'pissing on your fellow mtber' reference Redbruce made.

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Now you're really sounding like a muppet, Timbot. You've a fundamentally misguided idea of what PV are employed to do & it'd be generous to suggest you're even being half-arsed in taking a moment to understand the issue at hand, in an area that has had considerable advancement as far as being recognised as a place for mtbers to legally ride. So don't worry, we're all pretty clear that you weren't actually offering a professional critique of PV's work let alone a valid point of criticism.

Seriously, were you expecting PV to return the trail to the state it was in prior to the unsanctioned (& rather significant excavation) works? Do you have any concept for the fact that by PV having to spend their time undoing the works it's money, time & resources that not only detracts from the end goal for mtbers/mtbing but it has implications on the club & those who volunteer & dedicate their time & energy to making PG happen? It damages the goodwill & the relationship between PV & the club. Hence the 'pissing on your fellow mtber' reference Redbruce made.
Stick n stones may break my bones but works will never hurt me.out.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
ripple effect.

Hey timbot

It is a very small community- MTB/ Trail builders/ advocacy/ Parks. What happens in small one area affects all the other projects/ legitimacy/ stakeholder relationships currently in progress. Unfortunately an unauthorized jump here or berm there paints us all in a negative light. I know this from experience mate- what was alittle (good intention) maintenance was in fact detrimental to a much broader area. Because Parks jurisdiction crosses multiple trail centers what is done on the Yarra river in Kew will affect the endeavors at Plenty, Warrandite, St Andrews, etc.

Parks were concerned with the amount of soil moved out at PG. They are currently assessing the trails and there will be authorized trails to ride and develop soon. I appreciate it is a lengthy process but all trail users need to be consulted- it aint all about us. If Parks see massive amounts of earth moved, jumps, log rolls or man made features- they will destroy them- they will not make it look pretty (they dont have the time or desire). Every time something is built it will make it harder for our cause and affects the whole region. All eyes are currently on us as a user group- we need to self govern, be respectful, gain trust, build relationships with stakeholders and skills/knowledge - ultimately show that we can be custodians of the trails.

To the person who built the stuff at PG (from the water tank- south west)- you know what you are doing, it looked great and the Gorge Club would love your help in the future. Please use your skills for good and work with the broader community so that we can all enjoy your efforts well into the future. Enthusiasm and skill is invaluable in a volunteer based group- talk to the PG Club and have your efforts recognized and authorized. A club like PG requires volunteers with many skillsets- we can all play a part.

I think we all appreciate that the Gorge is quite unique, ungroomed, natural, raw, wild and free with a little of something for us all. Now is the time when we must put our best foot forward to ensure happy times ahead- for the whole region.

Lets ride

Beej1

To the person who built the stuff at PG (from the water tank- south west)- you know what you are doing, it looked great and the Gorge Club would love your help in the future.
I liked it better before they touched it, but I agree it would be good to get said soil-movers on board for when official trail building days go ahead - regardless of how far away that may be.

T'was a cracking morning for a ride this Sunday gone. Next weekend looks similar.

If the young lady we crossed paths with on the IH MkIII from late-morning starting near Kariboo finds her way to this thread: I hope you enjoyed your ride, and I hope waldog and my directions didn't get you lost. It's a bit of a maze.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
So, my new local will be Plenty Gorge in a couple of weeks when I make the move from Coburger to Bundoora.

Scoped out the area on foot last weekend with my lady, but didn't spot any trails or MTB action aside from one family putting around on fire roads.
Is it all just XC? Or is there actual fun riding to be had?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
So, my new local will be Plenty Gorge in a couple of weeks when I make the move from Coburger to Bundoora.

Scoped out the area on foot last weekend with my lady, but didn't spot any trails or MTB action aside from one family putting around on fire roads.
Is it all just XC? Or is there actual fun riding to be had?
If you don't like to pedal, you're going to have a bad time. Still fun though.

The were some rather ad hoc features built out of pallets and 44s, built by local kids by the looks, but I'm guessing Parks arseholed them as part of the effort to get the trails legitimised.
To be honest most of the jumps were suicide to consider for an older gent, but there were a couple of small doubles that were quite fun, if unstable.

Best bet to learn the trails is to join a Sundee group ride.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
The north side of the creek (the part which Emerthis and Co. are currently working hard to get officially sanctioned by PV) is XC / trail with some ups and downs but not a lot of technical features.

The south side is more technical with some rock gardens, and teen made jumps and drops. For the avoidance of doubt PV aren’t a fan of the jumps and drops; however, they are there and not too hard to find.

If you leave from the end of Kariboo Grove ride into the park, across the easement track / clearing then most of the jump runs start up the hill to the left. The last time I was there (some months ago) there were some huge jumps on the right heading down towards the creek. Have a look around as you can’t get too lost. Further into the park there are some more technical XC trails on the sound side as well - natural rock gardens.

Knuckles is talking about the south side trails and yes the jumps aren't Youies quality in terms of build.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Just in relation to this: we've made our initial contribution to the Parks Vic assessment progress - telling them where all the trails we know about are, and that we'd like to see 95% or more of the single track network remain open.
The Ranger in Chief has been in contact over the last week, indicating that the submission they have to do is a massive task. We've offered help on the ground and with paperwork too, but there's a lot of stuff they need to do internally.
Just letting everyone know, it's still going on...

Cheers.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Just in relation to this: we've made our initial contribution to the Parks Vic assessment progress - telling them where all the trails we know about are, and that we'd like to see 95% or more of the single track network remain open.
The Ranger in Chief has been in contact over the last week, indicating that the submission they have to do is a massive task. We've offered help on the ground and with paperwork too, but there's a lot of stuff they need to do internally.
Just letting everyone know, it's still going on...

Cheers.
Hey is the issue manpower/ resources to do the assessments? Why dont we raise funds to get a contractor in to do it?

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Good question mate, and good idea. The club has members who are very well-versed in these things, so I'll put that to the Rangers (again) shortly.

From what I understand, it's not work that can be done by non-PV staff. At this stage, that is. Once they get the stamp of approval from senior management, the physical trail assessment processes can begin. Before that, there are cultural heritage issues to be addressed and further assessments required along those lines.

Cheers.