PM System Abuse with regards to Trading

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
I've received complaints from sellers regarding countless boneheaded private messages they've been getting from supposed 'potential buyers.'

We (I at least) admins are going to start cracking down on this because it has become ridiculous.

Here's some simple guidelines to follow:

- If you are going to query a seller with a PM, make sure you think it out and include as many questions as you can in the one PM. This is not MSN, sellers do not enjoy using out PM system as an instant messenger. Single sentence and un-thought out queries can in cases be considered spam.

- READ WHAT THE SELLER HAS WRITTEN - Allot of the time sellers are answering questions that have already answered in their for sale thread, or in a previous PM. This can be extremely frustrating. Don't be surprised if you get a nasty reply telling you to READ THE $#^%#$% THREAD!

- The customer isn't always right. Sellers are not bike shops, they are individuals. They don't have to price match, they don't care if the item is sold cheaper on Jensen's, they don't care if Tom down the road is selling his Yeti DH9 for $4000, $1000 less than theirs. A price is a price, and the seller will indicate if they are willing to negotiate. If you see a better deal, leave the other poor seller alone, YOU ARE WASTING HIS/HER TIME!

Look, I know that allot of people are new to this type of trading, and others are not. But please have a little consideration for the people that sell. It may not happen, but I would really like to avoid the case of the buyers driving away the sellers.

jimbob1

Cannon Fodder
Replies

As a new member to Farkin its great to be able to browse at all the gear as not all of us can afford to buy new. I have'nt as yet sold or advertised on Farkin, but if i did i agree with your comment that it is the sellers right to sell for the price that they think is fair, if a buyer thinks that they can do better elsewhere then perhaps that is where they should go!

naz

Criminally Inane
what about mailing n shit, i copped alot of crap because i didnt mail,have a cry ffs its the sellers choice to sell, its there choice onprice, its there decision on whether they should mail.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
naz said:
what about mailing n shit, i copped alot of crap because i didnt mail,have a cry ffs its the sellers choice to sell, its there choice onprice, its there decision on whether they should mail.
That was the funniest and most ridiculous situtation I've ever seen on Farkin. I can't believed people abused you because you only wanted a local sale. I know of many better reasons to abuse you than that, PUNK! :p

Another point is abusing some one who makes you an offer. Unless it's absolutely ridiculous and time wasting, all that's needed is a simple "Sorry I won't go any lower than "x" dollars" Not F** you you tight arsed........" Which is what I copped after offering some one on this sight 20% less than their asking price (mind you there was also no indication of "fixed price" in his original post and I may have been a little less forward in the way I approached the offer).

As it turns out, I just politely/appologetically offered some one $250 for what they were asking $400 for. I was told it will be considered.

So people should be able to feel free to offer lower than asking prices (providing it's in a polite manner) without abuse in return. This is Farkin, people bargain and haggle. If you do not wish to recieve PM's with offers, state this in your post!

S.

ex offender
naz said:
Yeah and it's the potential buyer's choice whether to heap shit on you for it. Take it like a man.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
naz said:
No, you copped allot of crap because you were all Mr Badass. :D

Either way, I stopped crying about it long ago, it sounds like you still need a shoulder to wet. :p

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hitch hikers

I have also found a few people hitch hiking on the back of other people's wanted to buy posts. :mad: Do you guys consider this acceptable? Even if the hitch hikers have posted 3 months ago wanting the same thing, the seller has responded to the new post in particular. Maybe because they did not see yours, or maybe because it hasn't been touched in 3 months, there are many reasons. If there are multiple people offering, fair enough (perhaps put an EOI in), but remember that the person who posted the ad should have first dibs.
Al..

sirphilby

Likes Bikes
i know that alot of the time it is sellers who cop most of the shit, but buyers can be treated like shit too. i was trying to but a 2nd hand bike, i wont give any detail about it except the guy treated me like a peice of crap! first he agreed to a price i was asking, then raised the price another $100 because he siad he had gone too low, which i accepted. then a week later he tried to raise the price another $200, saying that was the price. i declined the bike after that and then had an off tap message about how i could have given him at least another $50. sometimes i wonder about people....

4heckssake

Likes Dirt
personally i have mostly had good experiences trading on farkin.

about 5%-10% of the people trading tho haven't got a clue when it comes to respecting others...that's about on par for life.

my approach is to be clear with communications and if the person on the other end is not meeting your expectations...just move on, there will be another item/buyer/seller before you know it.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I'm not a fan of guys just PMing me asking for parts that either i'm not selling or do not have. I hate it.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Daver said:
I'm not a fan of guys just PMing me asking for parts that either i'm not selling or do not have. I hate it.
Me too, I estimate i get atleast 1 or 2 PM's a week like this

Ryan

Radministrator
Here's one, if someone has posted a wanted ad and specifically included the dimensions of the part they want eg:

Wanted: 12mm bolt up rear hub, 150mm width

Then for the love of god don't send them a PM saying,

"I've got a 135mm QR rear hub, is that what you're after"

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what about "are you splitting?"

god that pisses me off!

as well as "will you sell me the cranks on it in that photo?"
\
for fucks sake, its the item LISTED that is for sale.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Hi,

Sorry to raise such an old thread; however, has anyone a problem with me sending a polite pm to a member of the trading forums that may be sellling something I'm looking for, considering I can't post in that forums as yet? Or do I have to wait until my post count is higher?

Cheers, Lee

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Dude, by searching and asking an appropriate and well worded question, I think you've pretty much displayed the requirements for trading access. Apply and I shall grant access for you.

thrower78

Likes Dirt
One thing that does get on my nerves with regards to trading is when people put "offers" or "make me an offer" and don't give you a ball park figure. On more than 1 ocasion I have offered someone what i thought was a reasonable price and was met with quite a rude resopnse along the line of don't be stupid etc.

If someone makes you an offer because that is what you have asked them to do, be polite about the response or just give all ball park figure.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
So true thrower. You only have to look at about 5 threads in the whole bikes section before one of them has "offers" in the price listing, and nothing else. The seller knows how much they are goung to get. There are too many of these threads, and then when someone, who is new, and doesn't know better offers something small, they are abused. It's not on. If you say "offers, but nothign stupid", and get a "stupid" offer, too bad. You should have put a price in your listing.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
I definitely agree guys - stating a ball park figure would certainly make it easier for the novice, as well as not wasting other members time sending fruitless pm's.