poodle's slope style build

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...it has finally began! After looking for a slope style frame for several months and being sad that I couldn't justify the price tag on a Pivot m4x, I got lucky and scored one from here (thanks G-Man) at a justifiable price and in reasonable condition.

IMG_20140929_105211-1.jpg

The theory behind this move is that I needed a bike that would be fun for town transport and cover all duties at the local ride location (Glenrock Lagoon - a mix of epic all mountain, gnarly freeride, and hectic dirt jumps).

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks good. I'd be interested to hear the travel and how does the DW link works on a bike that needs to pop. It's just peripheral interest because I have 2 DW bikes and neither pops - they prefer something closer to ooze. Also a mate is waiting the arrival of his Spesh PSlope set up singlespeed, sometime this week. He does know how to ride a short and nimble, but strong bike and after watching him ride, I can understand why someone would want them for general riding, not just to race. Grew up nearby and have ridden Glenrock enough to know the potential of such a bike there.

Last edited:

dug8713

Likes Dirt
Damn you poodle! I really wanted G-mans Pivot & asked multiple times to see if he wanted to part out the frame.

Keen to see this built up, should make a sweet ride

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Damn you poodle! I really wanted G-mans Pivot & asked multiple times to see if he wanted to part out the frame.

Keen to see this built up, should make a sweet ride
Poodle for the win! I did buy the whole bike and a frame at the same time. So he didn't have to part it out. The wheels on the complete look BLING! Gave it a wash and shine up on Sunday.

Looks good. I'd be interested to hear the travel and how does the DW link works on a bike that needs to pop. It's just peripheral interest because I have 2 DW bikes and neither pops - they prefer something closer to ooze. Also a mate is waiting the arrival of his Spesh PSlope set up singlespeed, sometime this week. He does know how to ride a short and nimble, but strong bike and after watching him ride, I can understand why someone would want them for general riding, not just to race. Grew up nearby and have ridden Glenrock enough to know the potential of such a bike there.
I think it is more about being plush. I really like the way that virtual pivot points ride/feel and in a short travel bike that will (hopefully) plough some chunder that supple suspension will be greatly appreciated. I'll probably be running pretty fast rebound though! Single pivot set ups certainly hop in a more responsive way. For me though I don't require the pop as much as the bump eating. Will let you know how it all works out.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Update time...

This must be the slowest build I have ever done. First up I couldn't find any rear hubs that made me go "yes!" (the right combination of awesome and price wasn't there) so I opted for a Shimano zee (142x12mm). But when the box arrived I realized that the hubs weren't sealed bearing. Not an issue for some, but I live and ride near the beach and don't really want to be getting sand and grit in my business. So will hopefully sell the Zee pronto and find something I like. If not...will end up with hopes.

Working from home today and the DHL man gave me a present. I took a punt on another set of Marzocchi 55s and scored the 55 micro STA. They look the goods!

WP_20141020_007.jpg

I also used a bit of break time to start stripping off some stickers. The Pivot guys are almost as zealous as Giant!

WP_20141020_005.jpg

The glue on these stickers is about 2mm deep! I managed a pretty impressive eucalyptus oil spill.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I think I remember seeing this frame at G-mans, it looks awesome! Good thing it's just stickers so you can remove them to your liking. Will be keeping an eye on this build.

mlucko

Likes Dirt
I am very keen to see how this turns out!!! I've always loved the M4X pivots.

Good luck with the build matey!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think I remember seeing this frame at G-mans, it looks awesome! Good thing it's just stickers so you can remove them to your liking. Will be keeping an eye on this build.
Fair chance you saw 2 there...i have his frame and G-lady's complete version! I made a few minor mods to her spec to suit a less aggressive rider. Will post a pic of it tomorrow.

My build is looking nice. I ordered new hubs today, so the moment they arrive and are built up this will be in the work stand. I am very optimistic about this thing being very awesome.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This is the "complete" I picked up from team G-force along with the frame (the feature of this thread). I made a few changes and now it is the ultimate Lady/small rider all rounder. Key features are:
- Marz55cr forks dropped to 150mm
- 165mm Zee crank with Token crank bolt (see LTIL for this rad gadget)
- XT brakes and drive
- Crank Bros wheels (I love the look!) and dropper
- 660mm race face bars
- Dirty stem

I haven't weighed it, but it is light! Did a few street sprints and gutters this morning and really liked the way it felt. I am definitely going to enjoy the adult version!

WP_20141022_005.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Haha...so much hate? I don't have to ride it and anticipate those who do wont expect too much performance. Do I need to make a post in the dropper love thread?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I finally resolved my hub issue. I picked up the Da Bomb Rotate. I have ran a few Da Bomb hubs over the years and been quite pleased, so hopefully this form continues.

WP_20141103_005.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
IMG_20150328_091432.jpg

The time has come to put the old girl to rest. This new bike has some big shoes to fill!

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The FR600? That's the second time I've ran those rims (first ones were stolen). They have taken everythingive thrown at them over the couple of years I have owned them, so I'm pretty sure they will hold up for a while.

So last night I decided to finally build the bike! My famous Nomad is now just a frame and forks sitting in the corner. Soon to be hung on the wall. Today was too busy to get any glory shots of the m4x built up, but i think it looks sweet.

Spec:

Frame - Pivot m4x
Shock - fox float rp3
Fork - marzocchi 55 micro switch travel adjust 120-160mm
Brakes - xt
Drive - x0 to x9 (9speed)
Crank - zee (sadly had to drop back to 38t to fit the frame)
Guide - e13 hive
Bar - funn full on 750
Stem - funn funnduro
Headset - cane creek as something something (don't worry I got the right size first go)
Pedals - ns leg eaters

The bike will serve a few roles - commuter, skate park, dirt jump, am, light free ride, boundary pusher etc. Probably not actually any slope style as strictly defined by those that live within categories...but pivot claim it as their 4x and slope style bike, Im calling it my poodle style bike. Which means there is a few multi options on it.

Wheels - street wheels are mavic deetracks, dirt wheels are the DT fr600.
Tyres - street = schwalbe table top (will also try these for DJ), dirt = maxis minion and high roller.
Post - street = Crankt bros cobalt 2 (it was cheap and after some prick flogged the last post...) Dirt = Thompson
Seat- street = fizik tundra2, dirt = hello DJ thing (anal raping poo compacter)

Hopefully get it out for a ride tomorrow morning. Today it briefly had a jump off the gutter, a small ledge, and some stairs. It handled all nicely. I have forgotten how little 100mm is though! This will be running pretty stiff most rides.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The FR600? That's the second time I've ran those rims (first ones were stolen). They have taken everythingive thrown at them over the couple of years I have owned them, so I'm pretty sure they will hold up for a while.
I meant the crankbrothers wheels.