Poor uninformed public

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
How is these people that just don't have a slightest clue that a mountain bike or cycling scene even exists?? I had a taxi driver today telling me that foot brakes/ backpedal brakes are better than anything you can buy today and also that gears are completely unnecessary... :?

I'm sure everyone gets this tho with the most common response being "...you paid how much??" What are some other peoples more random experiences? Also what other "underground sports/clubs have you come across that you never realised people actually pursued (besides extreme ironing and freestyle wheelbarrow..)

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
I get by with out gears pretty good. I'd say unessesary has to be placed in context. Going up = helpfull. Going Down = you could live without them.
I love it when people tell me what i can't do with one gear and then I do it while they strugling to find the granny. In reality we've all been coned into believeing we need a 3 x 9 drive train. My only geared bike has 8 and that's all I need.

Back pedal brakes are useless fro anything except beach cruisers. I have a fond memory of dirt jumping as a kid on a bmx with foot brakes. Everytime you landed the back wheel would lock up and you'd end up sprawled in the gravel.

Don't be upset with the cabbie. It's his job to have an uninformed oppinion on everything.

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
i flinched when i wrote that "gears are unnecessary" bit and thought specifically of you shwinboy :lol:
And hey i'm not upset at the cabbie at all, but he is obviously just like the majority of people out there, knowing not a whole lot about the mtb scene... (i will add in the cabbies defense(?) that he wasn't the brightest bulb on the rack...he was of large stature and when we saw a ute advertising kebabs he went into a childish characture and proceeded to repeat, "mmm kebabs kebabs, gimme a kebab" :shock: :lol: )

Ty

Eats Squid
downhill longboard skate boarding, it's got a pretty hardcore underground following around brisbane, people breaking into multi level car parks at night, shuttleing coot-tha at dawn. super fun stuff, but a good way to get really really hurt.

seems kind of expensive to get set up at first but you never really break anything so your not forever replacing stuff like on a mtb(except for wearing out shoes)

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We were driving down Cootha one night, and could see this bobbing light behind us, coming up pretty quick. This guy in full leathers, motorbike helmet, and a Dolphin torch duct taped to his helmet flew past. We were doing about 70 km/h...

toodles

Wheel size expert
That's mental. As for uninformed, when I started out racing DH I heard (more than once) from my mates' parents that disconnecting my brakes would make me faster. Oh yeah I might go faster for awhile, but not in the direction I want to go...

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
downhill skateboarding would be insane, spesh down cootha! Normal footpath skateboarding is extreme enough for me. Note i really suck at it...was skating the other day for first time in a while, see crack in pavement so manual the front wheels over it, oops forgot back wheels. Skateboard shot backwards at about a gazillion k's an hour and i wacked the footpath.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
untill i was quickly stopped by a guard rail one time i did of street luge.
this was pre yuppie scum time.
we used to get a guy in light blue shirt and blue stubbies to stand with a two way at the bottom of coot-tha on the lookout road, and say he worked for the council. he used to stop cars for us while we made a run. was funny to see the faces of the car drivers as we pulled up and let them thru. unfortunatly all the sports i used todo, or still do, have now become EXTREME SPORTS, and used to sell suv's. *sigh*

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
i knew they used cootha in the x games for steet luge didn't they? Never realised there is a stack of people that get out there regularly tho?? What is it like lupine? We used to do psuedostreet luge on our skateboards and was always a laugh...

toodles

Wheel size expert
lupine128 said:
unfortunatly all the sports i used todo, or still do, have now become EXTREME SPORTS, and used to sell suv's. *sigh*
He he. Does anyone know a single mountain biker or other "hardcaw eXtreeme" sportsperson that drives a Nissan Xtrail?

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
i soooooo fuckin hate that ad.
i don't know anyone who has one, and if they could afford one, they'd buy an old jeep and spend the rest on their gear.
and what the hell is so extreme about a cell phone???
well come on, some one tell me whts extreme about watching a dvd for christs sake.
we are raising a generation of kids who think monkey bars are extreme sport, and they are extreme for using them.
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

ok, i'm ok now... no really..... i feel better... the meds are kicking in......
*Mutters* god i hate them, hate them so much.............. where did i put that rifle......... got a postal worker uniform round here somewhere....... god i hate them................

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
toodles said:
lupine128 said:
unfortunatly all the sports i used todo, or still do, have now become EXTREME SPORTS, and used to sell suv's. *sigh*
He he. Does anyone know a single mountain biker or other "hardcaw eXtreeme" sportsperson that drives a Nissan Xtrail?
No... but I DO happen to know the rider who got paid close to $5000 for three days filming to get that "hardcore" run just right for the camera. He said that particular "off-road" vehicle wasn't actually that good at being off-road at all.

Hmmm... me thinketh the spin-doctor, suck-the-eyeballs-out-of-a-baby-for-a-snort-of-coke ad men have been at it again.

Anyway... I'm getting pretty tired of the term X-treme for every farkin thing that doesn't involve sitting! I drive a 1983 Toyota Ute that cost less than the signwriting on it and THAT'S extreme. Our Melb rep drives a fully kitted XR6 ute that (I have to admit) looks shit hot and goes like a cut-cat, but STILL can't get from one side of the city to the other any quicker... PLUS we don't cry at the thought of filling our ute up with nasty, dirty engineering type stuff etc

CHEWY

Eats Squid
i saw on a show the other day these remotecontrol navy replica boats that had turrets on them and fired salvos of BB's :shock: and they fanged around a little pond shooting and sinking each other... it was cool

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it pisses me off.
15 years ago, bad boys toys made jump harnesses for freefall and base jumpers. they had one t-shirt, and a sticker design.
now all they do is t-shirts and stickers and they quit making harnesses about 10 years ago.
bungee from a bridge is a kick, escpecialy if your not supposed to be there. whats extreme about jumping from a crane?
base is still out there, but balloning? wtf is so hard about that?

oh no, here i go again.......

the boats sound cool tho.

Rik

logged out
I don't care how uninformed the public are, if you watch the ad for ActionMan figures, he has spinergy's on his sick dually!

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was behind an Xtrail just this morning...... what a piece of shit.

Back pedal brakes, man major flash back, what was i doing when I had back pedal brakes? o yeah.......

probably watching this hahaha

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
deep sea diving (minus the scuba gear) is farkin insane. they get down to 105m or something - no extra oxygen.

big wave surfing - not sure if its still on, but there was a quest to ride a 100ft wave. not really underground tho as it had commercial backing. but as far as the 'i could die doing this' factor goes - that would have to rank pretty high

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Heh... I used to love sessioning big multi-level carparks with the bro's in Melbourne back in the day when 66mm wheels were the standard and 60mm wheels were considered 'small'. The great thing about shuttling in a car park was all you had to do was jump in an elevator. Great stuff! :mrgreen:

Back then I remember thinking it was such a big deal to be spending 60 bucks on new wheels or trucks, or THE BIG ONE: a hundred bucks on a new deck when you snapped one... it's a bitch that MTB is so expensive and so many kids prolly can't get into it for that reason.