Poploc / Pushloc

Buzzy

Squid
Hi All,
Hope Im not going over old ground here but I'm buggered if I could find anything on the forum relating to this :eek:

I have an 09 Rockshox Revelation Dual Air fork and I would like to put remote lockout on it.
As it already has lockout (not remote) what do I actually need to buy to get this happening.
Can I just buy a pushloc kit or do I need to buy a poploc kit then if I want to add pushloc, do that later........... hope that made sense.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers Buzz

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Hey mate,
I've spoken to my LBS many times regarding this, while passing the time doing other work on my bikes. Albeit it was for a Reba fork rather than a Revelation, but I'm sure it works the same way.

First off you'll need a new Motion Control damper, that supports remote actuation (basically that has a spring loaded top cap). Unfortunately RockShox don't make the top cap itself a replaceable part, hence the need for a new damper. I recently got a price on a new damper for a 2009 Reba, and it was around $120 or so for the remote compatible one.

Then you'll need to get a PopLoc or PushLoc lever kit, whichever you prefer. I like the PopLoc, as you can set the floodgate sensitivity to adjust your blow out point anyway.

Replacing the Motion Control damper is a piece of piss. It will take you all of about 5 minutes to do. You may want to add 2ml or so of oil back into the fork leg when you do it, as the damper will come out of the fork covered in oil.

The advantage of the new Pop/PushLoc lever design from RS is that it's a split-clamp design, so it'll go straight onto your bars without the need to remove your grips and or levers. They also do a MatchMaker compatible system if you've already got a Sram/Avid combo on your bars. Problem is though that it's pretty exy I think. I've never got a proper price check on the lever, but I think they're around $120 or more too.

All in all, you'd be looking at $200 - $250 in parts, plus about a beer's worth of labour to change it all over.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions on it mate.

Buzzy

Squid
Thanks alot guys, very useful info.
One last question I just thought of.

Do you have to have the cable stop on the fork crown as per point 16 in >>this<< link?
Or is there a way around it, as my forks dont have it................ I think I know what the answer will be :(

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just to clarify this, the top cap doesn't contain the return spring, the MoCo damper does. That's why you need to buy the whole damper assembly, as yours has no option of adding a spring. A new damper also doesn't include the top cap you'll need (sold separately). You'll need to also buy the remote lever (I have all 3 models (push and poploc) sitting in a box - PM me if you want to buy one).
New Revelation crown castings don't have a built in cable stop, it's now a clamp on arrangement under the MoCo cap. You'll need to buy that too.
this will all turn out to be an expensive exercise (the price above is about right, having priced parts new previously) and might be easier to find someone who wants to do a complete remote to non-remote swap.
I'd forget it. I changed from remote to non-remote so I could better vary compression damping and get rid of the cable. I think it's better than the remote set up, and no too hard to reach.

Last edited:

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Do you have to have the cable stop on the fork crown as per point 16 in >>this<< link?
Or is there a way around it, as my forks dont have it................ I think I know what the answer will be :(
As far as this goes, on both the 09 Rebas I have (Team & Race) the cable stop is actually part of the Remote MoCo cap assembly, not on the fork itself like my old 07 Reba Race.

Pretty much agreed on this one! You'll be almost halfway to the cost of a new fork by the time you're done with it! (Unless you manage to source parts really cheap, and are willing/able to do the labour yourself).