Possible Locations For World Cup in Australia?

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, I am just wondering what are some possible locations for a world cup in australia. Cairns is the obvious one as it has already hosted 2 and a world champs but would say MT Beauty have the facilities for a World Cup round?

Sorry, I am just realy curious atm as to why we ain't hosting a world Cup! With Australian's doing so well, why is it that we don't have a WC!

Cruz

Likes Dirt
The cost of getting people over here for 1 race is simply too much in a time when there is less money, sponsorship, a very small crowd to attend etc etc.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
they also need to be within 2 hours of an international airport i think was a thing on another thred. witch makes sense.
but think that all the other pros would be more then likly to come over here and try and beat us on home soil.
they could also hav one in cadrona in NZ and have a southern hemisphear doubble header or something. but really blue range in canberra is possable. cause it's in canberra and it's a friggin killer track as well.the only thing bus and trailers . but the other pros can get over it.

DOM

Eats Squid
Little bit more to this then ya think.

$10000000000's of dollars are needed in Sponsors.
Council needs to be involved and large sums of money need to come from them aswell.

I remember asking Glen about this once .. and he explained what went into Hosting one .. and it wasnt the easist thing in the world .. there isnt much gain in it.

Cairns was ideal .. because it was very touristy .. riders came and raced and then celebrated the worlds by doing all the reef tours and stuff you can do around Cairns.

If you held something in Canberra all the downhillers would destroy one of the lame ass nightclubs ya got there hahah kidding.

the council in that area really has to commit big time .. it has to prove it has the dollars .. it has to prove it has held large events before .. Cairns held some national rounds before hosting the WC's and Worlds .. and Basically Glen was a big name in the mountain Bike scene aswell which really helpded
. Also being a UCI Course Designer helped.

I wouldnt say it was impossible but for the stress and effort involved in such a major event .. not much is gained. Although Australia and NZ should definately be holding WC's

But wed probably school everyone too bad.

scottie2069

Likes Dirt
I think thredbo would be a great location for a WC as it has the chair lift, long track which has most thing on it but alot of work must be doen to it to make it more flowing and faster and technical. At the moment some of the track is poorly made. But with a bit of work i think it would be a great location for a WC.

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
i know its not up to scratch at the moment, but eildon, vic is possibly holding a national round in nov as a prelim to the National Champs in Feb- not the delayed ones at beauty, the ones for 04... which have to go ahead at the start of the year to get the calender back on track. discussions are currently under way...

those of you who know the course- picture where it finishes, then down through a park in a gully , over a bridge over the main road with a finish in that big park in town.

anyway point being there are certain big company people pushing for bigger events in aus so is this a prelim to a WC??? :?:

Ty

Eats Squid
i wanna hear what Jared has to say about this, considering he's the only one here whos ridden a world cup level track recently, is there or could there be anything in australia even close to being able to host a world cup?

(yes yes i know there are lots of cairns boys have ridden the world cup tracks back home)

curtisrider

Eats Squid
Mt. Bulla would be awesome if they ever get around to remaking a track up their which from what i've heard might happen.
Chairlifts, Great terrain, it's all their something just needs to be done with it.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mtbdh_girl said:
i know its not up to scratch at the moment, but eildon, vic is possibly holding a national round in nov as a prelim to the National Champs in Feb- not the delayed ones at beauty, the ones for 04... which have to go ahead at the start of the year to get the calender back on track. discussions are currently under way...

those of you who know the course- picture where it finishes, then down through a park in a gully , over a bridge over the main road with a finish in that big park in town.

anyway point being there are certain big company people pushing for bigger events in aus so is this a prelim to a WC??? :?:
sounds sick! i would be happy to help with a shovel if needed and could get a lift there.... and get to be a "tester" :D

S.

ex offender
oz-freerider said:
mtbdh_girl said:

sounds sick! i would be happy to help with a shovel if needed and could get a lift there.... and get to be a "tester" :D
Me too!

curtisrider

Eats Squid
Socket said:
oz-freerider said:
mtbdh_girl said:

Me too!
Me Three!!!

lindsay

Likes Dirt
I mentioned the 2 hour thing from airports last time. I can't remember where i heard it but i think its true.

Mtb park is no good, from reports the hill will have to be a lot bigger. I'm not baggin the place just saying its not the best venue for a world cup.

If the track at thredbo was opened up and went down all the way. 3-4min long would be so good. It would be the perfect place especially because of all the accomodation is close but if the airport thing is true then its no good.

Eildon needs to be really, really, really opened up. Scott and sam may have built it but its still too tight.

My 2 cents.

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
THE TRUTH ABOUT SCOTT AND SAM

They did not build the track. They came up for 1 day and mapped out adecent extra section. they also spent about 2 hours doing labour on the track.

Ben Reynolds built it. No one except him deserves any credit. I put in about 5 days work on building jumps clearing the track, bunting etc and benny did 10 times more.

I just wanted to set the record straight- pity the magazines etc can't get it right either... i guess its too much trouble to ring the club that ran the race??? and people only want to read about the guys theyve heard of, not the guys who really make things tick.

Jared

Yeti Cycles
ok then, just saw this one, intereseting. first things first tho, eildon is NOT a world cup level track, NOT a good race track, sorry if ya dont like that but that was my opinion as well as 90% of others. it was fun to ride but not to race, what is there on that track except corners, absolutly nuthin. I have spoken with Scott Sharples about this, he thinks nobody liked it because Sam killed us all there, yes he did, good stuff it was, but that was nothing like a good race track, come ride durango, west viginia , trcks like those that have a bit of everything.

Im not completly sure about thewhole airport being close thin, theres somthing about it bt im not sure xactly what. Thredbo woul kick ass as a world cup track if any part of the hill could be used, but that wont happen any time soon due to the whole parks and wildlife situation that goes on there, then theresothe things like pit space and stuff, i cnt think of anywhere at thredbo for bulk pit space, and im sure theres heaps of ther issues there i dont even know about.

for a track to have a orld cup the hillwould need to be atleast the size of thredbo, and the make a 4 minute track out of it, if ya want it to be really good that is. Although track lengths have been getting shorter lately, places like Telluride, grouse, and bein good tracks, both super short, actully i spose all that has to be done with the track is make it good, get people with experience, who know wht they'r doing, like glen jacobs.
As for the rest of it,the organisation side of it, i wouldnt have a clue, i just ride my pushy down a hill.

it could be done, but theres very few places, gotta remember that mtb is tiny in ausralia compared to other places, like usa and europe, the race has to attract people to mke money and there simply woulnt be enough to come and watch a world cup in australia.
Nothing would make me happier than having a orld cup at home tho

fastrider_ben

Likes Dirt
Cruz said:
The cost of getting people over here for 1 race is simply too much in a time when there is less money, sponsorship, a very small crowd to attend etc etc.
it didnt stop any of the international riders from coming out to the red bull rides and australia has already hosted a World Cup in Canberra ages ago when mtb wasnt nearly as big as it is today.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
So how many o/s riders were there at the Red Bull?
Not as many as is needed for d/h, and then if you throw in 4x and xc as well, well you get the idea.
Going by reports, I would presume that full teams, mechanics, managers etc weren't out here for the Red Bull either, Gracia's bike didn't even show till the morning of the comp.
And then you have the video exposure at Red Bull that is far greater than a WC round also. It all adds up, as Jared and Lindsay have said.