Post Up Your Dirt Bike.

skivi

Likes Dirt
Largest what is your location and what's your riding experience like?

you mentioned your on your L's so two things:
1) different states have different rules regarding what you can ride
2) for all we know the first time you sat on a bike could have been the test or maybe you've been lucky enough to fang around on farms as a youngster, fill us in.

if you have "no real budget" for something capable of both road and trail as well as wanting something modern a supermotard would tick all the boxes but most factory motards are 250cc+ and a no-go if your state doesn't have the LAMS scheme.

guys like slip and exvitermini have experience in motard sector.

if your a novice rider (like me) i recommend getting a shitter (like me), they're cheap and come as a bonus crash course in motorcycle mechanics, resale & reliability can be issues but hopefully with the right shitter you can come out on top at the end of the day, that's the plan anyway.

Largest

Likes Bikes
NSW
Medium Experience on farms as a kid, but dont care if it takes 6 months to re-learn to ride, just want to get into it. Need something large due to my weight and size.

Many motard shitters getting around? would be keen!

Lets get some ideas flowing...

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Ok, this seemed like a good place to ask...

is there an online shop catering (cheapishly) for dirt bike parts like chainreactioncycles.com for MTB's?

I'd like an FMF pipe/muffler for my 110 but any other value set up would be good.

...yes I ride a mini because I have no where to ride a big bike and can't afford one.

Last edited:

bradleyR513

Likes Dirt
Hey largest,
If you want ultra reliability with hardly any maintenance, then a suzuki drz400e or a honda xr400 would be right up your ally. I would personally stick with a drz400e because many people have them, they are easy to get parts for and are still being made in the exact same way with the exact same parts as they did when they were first put onto the market. This means that its not relevant if a dealer asks you which year model when you are ordering a part. They have enough power to have fun on, get up hills easy and be able to ride on the road properly. But they are still tamable for when you are getting back into it and not scare you out of it. They also come in another 2 versions, the drz400s which is a mix between full on dirt and road(probably suited to you) and the drz400sm which is a super motard version with a few extra specs(smaller and fatter rims, larger disc brakes, reverse forks, different muffler and so on). they are also fairly cheap being only $8490 on road if you get a good deal.

For example, my dad (aged 48) recently got back into it a few years ago after not riding for 20 years and bought a drz400e. He was happy with the power then and still is now. Now i must say that he weighs 120kg's and it can haul him quite well. Hopefully this will help you with your purchase, and good luck.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Largest

250's - Suzuki DR250 is a good option. You'll probably need to firm the suspension up though. Tough, leccy start, low maintenance, happy on the highway. There are other options but for a commuter with capabilities and minimal maintenance they come out on top. XR250 is a good bike but I don't know when they got an electric leg. If I'm off the mark and they did have one in those years that's a good option too. Still prefer the DR though.

400's - Much better for your weight. If doing highway/roadtrips avoid Husqvarna and Husaberg. Honda CRF is maintenance fest if you're doing a few km's. Yamaha WR450/426 is a good option. DRZ400 too, same comments as the DR250. Tough, cheap, low maintenance, good. XR400, but again, don't know if they had electric start in those years.

500+cc - cbf unless we know what the Lams/250cc situation is...

Is NSW LAMS or 250cc?

Largest

Likes Bikes
LAMS in NSW.

I would prefer something between 250 and 450, so your description is good thanks guys.

realistically will a dr250 pull my weight? What about be a semi comfertable ride for my 190ish cms?

How long will it take for me to outgrow something like the DR250?
After a quick look online, seems that I could get something along these lines for 1500-3000, generally not within the 01-04 age but still, its a secondary vehicle, and probably only last until the end of probationary licence(16months).

Let me know what you think anyways...

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
I was on a DR250 with a pipe and opened up airbox, geared down, 6ft 85kg. It was fine, though you're a bit bigger... Only way to know is ride one.

DRZ400E would be the go at 110kg+ Cheap, can't kill em, and you'll much prefer the 400 over the 250. Should be able to get one for around 4k.

Holy mother of shit you can ride a KTM 380EXC on LAMS! Those things are mental. Husaberg FE650 too... Ah, stupidity... or someone who knows being nice...

skivi

Likes Dirt
Holy mother of shit you can ride a KTM 380EXC on LAMS! Those things are mental. Husaberg FE650 too... Ah, stupidity... or someone who knows being nice...
also did you notice all the new Aprilia rocket ships are there- RXV & SVX 450 and the RVX & SVX 550.

every dog-gone copper who doesn't know jack about bikes is gonna be pulling up everyone one of those with a dinky little "L" gaffa tapped on the back.

i don't think the LAMS lists are all that comprehensive, all the yamaha TZ's are banned down here along with the RD350 but in NSW the RD350 doesnt even get a mention and the RD400 is legal, they were giant killers in their day.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah as I've said before, I checked, re-checked and then checked a few more times after that... to see if my 525 was a LAM.

Yay to NSW RTA for being some dumbfu*ks!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Heres my YZ250, it has to do a lot of different riding and has a few different set-ups. Ive got a long range tank, 18" rear with trials tyre, flywheel weight. 2 sets of suspension one setup for bush the other for MX. 3 sets of wheels :eek: with different tyres. It mainly gets trail ridden these days