Post your 29er!

Rick_B

Likes Bikes
With a busy last fortnight at work, and last weekend spent away visiting the in-laws (oh yeah, you want to talk about fun...?), this afternoon was my first opportunity to take the Air 9 for a decent ride. I can't wipe the smile off my face, the thing is hands down the nicest bike I have ridden.

Did a nice 30ish kay loop round my local, featuring many fireroad and singletrack pinch climbs etc. It is almost an unfair advantage pedalling this bike up hills, every pedal stroke you can feel it wanting to surge forward. With some lighter wheels, I am sure the ride will be even better.

Has anyone used both a 2.25 Racing Ralph and a Maxxis Ignitor on their front wheel? Can anyone give their recommendations for or against these 2 tyres, or recommend one they rate highly? Bike currently has a Crossmark front and rear, looking to swap the front out for something a bit more aggressive and grippy.

Heading out again tomorrow at 6.30am - can't wait.

Win

Likes Dirt
With a busy last fortnight at work, and last weekend spent away visiting the in-laws (oh yeah, you want to talk about fun...?), this afternoon was my first opportunity to take the Air 9 for a decent ride. I can't wipe the smile off my face, the thing is hands down the nicest bike I have ridden.

Did a nice 30ish kay loop round my local, featuring many fireroad and singletrack pinch climbs etc. It is almost an unfair advantage pedalling this bike up hills, every pedal stroke you can feel it wanting to surge forward. With some lighter wheels, I am sure the ride will be even better.

Has anyone used both a 2.25 Racing Ralph and a Maxxis Ignitor on their front wheel? Can anyone give their recommendations for or against these 2 tyres, or recommend one they rate highly? Bike currently has a Crossmark front and rear, looking to swap the front out for something a bit more aggressive and grippy.

Heading out again tomorrow at 6.30am - can't wait.
I haven't used those two tyres but I do use a 2.4 RR up front and in those sandy corners of Second Coming/Deep Jr at Daisy, it's incredible

trickle

Likes Dirt
Win(ner) built my bike with the ignitor up front and I am liking it very much, just wish Maxxis did a 29er Advantage!
Crossmark on the rear...meh.

*rach*

Likes Bikes
running ignitor front and crossmark back on my blacksheep HT - I personally like that combo. Currently got 2 x ignitors on the tallboy and I have more grip than a fat kid on a mars bar....... but about to go to tubeless with RR's (heard ignitors are tricky to get happening tubeless).

Rick_B

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the tyre advice y'all. Ended up going for Racing Ralphs front and rear in 2.25, Looking forward to giving them a thorough test this weekend.

In unrelated news, have had the Absolute Plus damper cartridge in the Minutes updgraded to the 2010 unit, and the clicking with the platform engaged seems to have completely disappeared. Thanks to FTR in Annerley for sorting it out for me in quick time.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Minutes

Thanks for the tyre advice y'all. Ended up going for Racing Ralphs front and rear in 2.25, Looking forward to giving them a thorough test this weekend.

In unrelated news, have had the Absolute Plus damper cartridge in the Minutes updgraded to the 2010 unit, and the clicking with the platform engaged seems to have completely disappeared. Thanks to FTR in Annerley for sorting it out for me in quick time.
Hi Rick,

Please let me know how you find the new dampening from Manitou. I have had the click fix installed by have hear the newer inners help with reducing brake drive, increases compression range and rebound speed. Would like to improve my Minutes.
On the tyre front mate - you will love the RR for Brissy conditions (Nerang will kill em). They are fast and surprising ok in the wet (not the first choice though). You will struggle to set them up tubeless and would suggest Geax, Kenda or Maxxis for that. Geax and Bontrager (Trek and Fisher) sell tubeless ready tyres which l love for set and forget. I am a fan of running something alittle more aggressive (lor arger) up front with good strong side knobs -
the rear will follow. The Maxxis Ardent has been a good tyre for me on the rear and the Kenda Nevagal up front offers so much traction (a bit heavy).
You Brissy folks are so lucky to have so many good trails (well maintained) close to the CBD and not to mention the sunshine
JD

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
heard ignitors are tricky to get happening tubeless
I didn't have any issues seating Ignitors (folding bead) as tubeless on my Peace 9r. One went straight up with the track pump, one went to the servo for a quick blast to seat the bead. Chucked in a 3rd scoop of Stans just to make sure, but since they've been up, pretty much faultless.

Have just ordered a set of Ardents for 'warehousing', will be interested to see if I have a similar experience with them.

I see the Ardents are also available in a 2.4 folding bead - good option for those running rigid and wanting a little squish?

scotty1

Cannon Fodder
Niners

New enduro bikes have arrived,
Niner JET9 and Niner AIR9,

Air 9 weighs 10.8kg, Jet 9 12.3kg

Specs are similiar between both,
New XT 10 speed drivetrain, elixir brakes.
Stans Crest race wheels, and Stans Flow Training wheels on 240 hubs.
Fox 15mm axle forks on both.

Just have to take them out for a spin.

Attachments

pleb29er.com

Cannon Fodder
Want to write a review???

Hi, guys, awesome pics of some sweet 29ers. As a fellow 29er rider and lover of all things MTB I have started a blog www.pleb29er.com and am looking for some guys to email me a quick review, nothing too technical, just why you love your 29er and maybe a couple of pics... Feel free to check out the blog and give me some feedaback etc, hope you find it helpful, if not a little entertaining!!

Cheers..

toby

Likes Dirt
Rode the 2011 Scale 29er yesterday around the forest behind the Scott HQ in Switzerland... So sweet. Super light and the rear gives you just enough dampening to take the edge of things. Seriously good bike. Contender for my new bike!

Whats the go with $rrp?

Dropped into LBS today to have a chat about 29ers and they mentioned the new Specialized (Chumba?) 29er will be around the Au$2900 mark - very tempting at that price...!

Last edited:

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Cannondale Flash 29er 2

Cannondale Flash 29er 2 - 2010
12kg out of the box
pics with Thompson Elite seat post and Specialized BG saddle - saved 260g

More upgrades to follow

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
...and that's a bike that actually looks worthy of upgrades. Very nice - going to have to suss out where I can get my hands on one of those. Definitely on my Tax Return Shopping List of Possibilities.
Better be quick, 2011 no retro paint jobs, Flash 2 is white with large cannondale graphics similar to their road bikes.

This is the first bike we've had where people get out of their car at the servo to have a closer look :cool:

Roland