Post your 29er!

nana

Squid
Just took delivery of my 1st big wheeler.. Specialized Epic Expert Carbon - and all I can say is i'm glad I went the Speshy.. geometry is amazing and I reckon I PB'd a section of local single track 2nd ride in on this thing..

its now 12kg flat (Lge) with pedals and cage, but could easily drop more if I did the usual bar/stem/post swap..

Lovin' it..

Attachments

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nana ... very nice 29er, interesting set up on rear wheel, what kind of quick release is that?

nana

Squid
Thanks, yeah the pics dont really do it justice..

Its a new 'industry standard' 142mmx12 rear end - some euro brands and I think Trek have adopted it, basically its like a 15mm QR on a fork, but 12mm, and the spacing is bigger @ 142 - from 135mm.. it all adds up to a stiffer rear end, and then Specialized has added their twist to it, calling it 142+, by moving the cassette body over a few mm to give a bigger brace angle and stiffer spokes/wheel. Cool shit really, and from all accounts, it rails! I would say it is stiffer than my 26'' alloy epic expert from last year IMHO.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Build is as follows:

Frame: Spot Longboard steel, size small
Fork: White Brothers Magic IMV 100 (LOVE this fork, perfect for a single speed)
Front Wheel: I9 Hub laced to Stans Crest rim
Front Tire: Schwalbe Racing Ralph - Tubeless
Front Skewer: Salsa Ti
Rear Wheel: King Hub laced to Salsa Delgado Race rim
Rear Tire: Specialized Fast Trak - Tubeless
Crank & Ring: Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: Crank Brothers Colbalt Ti
Brakes: Avid BB7
Seat: Selle Italia SLR
Seat Post: Thomson Masterpiece
Stem: Thomson X4 70mm
Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite SL
Grips: Foam
Pedals: Crank Brothers SL
All bolts: Ti

As built 22 pounds, about 10 Kg
Piccy of rear brake mount?

Hmmm?

huskies

Squid
Just took delivery of my 1st big wheeler.. Specialized Epic Expert Carbon - and all I can say is i'm glad I went the Speshy.. geometry is amazing and I reckon I PB'd a section of local single track 2nd ride in on this thing..

Hey Nana,

Tomorrow i am picking up the exact same bike in medium! Can't wait :)
How do you find the 2x10 set up?
Pam

nana

Squid
Hey Nana,

Tomorrow i am picking up the exact same bike in medium! Can't wait
How do you find the 2x10 set up?
Pam
Hey Pam,

yeah its pretty sweet, ratio's are pretty much spot on for most riding, i may look at going 26/39 up front for racing.. did a killer climb where I live and still didn't use the 36 at the back, so figured it might give me a little more top end.

but as a do-everything set up, its rad, you pretty much stay in the big ring all day!

spikenet

Likes Dirt
as a do-everything set up, its rad, you pretty much stay in the big ring all day!
agree with you on that!

For me, I think the 36 is overkill. Its nice to have but could easily live with a 34. I've got 27/40 on the front, works great but am thinking of changing the 40 to a 42. That said, it might mean I use the little ring a bit more for XC races but dont think it will be a big issue.

cheers

ads_11

Likes Bikes
On-One Inbred SS

My project bike is taking shape..

Thanks to a number of rotorburners for all the bits and pieces.The only new purchases are peddles, wheels and saddle..

Attachments

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Edge

Love the Edge/Enve stuff, did you pick it up locally?
Hi,

I brought the post from a guy in the US and the bar locally. LBS found the supplier here in Melbourne (cant remember name) and had the bars that day - reasonable cost/comparative to US prices.
Bars are great, light and wide enough but think l would prefer more sweep - say 12 degrees rather than 9. Their low riser look good too. Might sell it soon - will let you know.
JD

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Looks great Ads

My project bike is taking shape..

Thanks to a number of rotorburners for all the bits and pieces.The only new purchases are peddles, wheels and saddle..
Well done mate, how does it ride. Did you get the bike for your daughter?
JD

ads_11

Likes Bikes
Well done mate, how does it ride. Did you get the bike for your daughter?
JD
Hi John,

Bike rides really good. Amazing difference between it and the intense obviously...still trying to set it up but is a treat..
Have not got the daughter her bike but it is in the wind.. have to wait a week or so.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Cool

Hi John,

Bike rides really good. Amazing difference between it and the intense obviously...still trying to set it up but is a treat..
Have not got the daughter her bike but it is in the wind.. have to wait a week or so.
If you have offered the guy something and he is waiting for a better offer - tell him to jump. He said offers over 2500 and you offered him more than that - it should be yes or no - not well lets just wait for a week or so - it aint an auction.
Let me know if you want a hand with set up.
JD