Post your 29er!

yabbapalooza

Cannon Fodder
Niner One 9

After riding my GF X-Cal with a dodgy SS conversion for a couple of months I got the bug. Enter the shiny new Niner One 9!

Build:
Niner One 9 L
Fizik Tundra 2 Saddle
Thomson stem, seatpost & clamp
XTR Brakes
XT Hubs
Mavic 719 Rims
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25"
Chris King headset
Reba RLT 29 forks
Easton EC70 bars
ESI grips
XT Cranks
XTR Pedals
Surly Sprocket

Came in a bit under 10kg, fair flies up the hills! Better yet it descends like a champ!

Attachments

mudmav

Likes Dirt
I like the niner

But i like the trails you are riding even more, they are possibly the most amazing trails i have ever ridden

Im heading their on saturday and i am chomping at the bit to get out their

cooken

Likes Dirt
After riding my GF X-Cal with a dodgy SS conversion for a couple of months I got the bug. Enter the shiny new Niner One 9!

Build:
Niner One 9 L
Fizik Tundra 2 Saddle
Thomson stem, seatpost & clamp
XTR Brakes
XT Hubs
Mavic 719 Rims
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25"
Chris King headset
Reba RLT 29 forks
Easton EC70 bars
ESI grips
XT Cranks
XTR Pedals
Surly Sprocket

Came in a bit under 10kg, fair flies up the hills! Better yet it descends like a champ!
Very similar to my sir 9 build. Only difference is the wheels (black flag pros) and I splurged on the reba XX forks.

It's been an awesome and reliable bike so far.

yabbapalooza

Cannon Fodder
Blores Hill

I like the niner

But i like the trails you are riding even more, they are possibly the most amazing trails i have ever ridden

Im heading their on saturday and i am chomping at the bit to get out their
I totally agree!! I'm moving to Newcastle in a couple of weeks (not so bad, there's some pretty nice trails there too) but will totally miss these trails. If you need a guide on Saturday let me know, we're always keen for a ride!

Macr

Likes Dirt
I totally agree!! I'm moving to Newcastle in a couple of weeks (not so bad, there's some pretty nice trails there too) but will totally miss these trails. If you need a guide on Saturday let me know, we're always keen for a ride!
Welcome to Newcastle. Make sure you catch up on the GTA forum. There is a few 29er SSers in Newwy. Refreshinglygood and myself, for a start. See my bike a page back.
Coming up for work?

Lukespook

Likes Bikes
Okay, some impressions after couple weeks riding the Spark 29er.
Firstly, this is the base model "Comp",(poverty pack with low end components) - purchased with view to upgrade over time, but the frame is the same as its 2 upper specced alloy models (Team and Elite) and the same geometry as the 3 higher specced carbon models.
Still trying different stem lengths/heights and seat position.
Size is Medium, and feels quite comfortable, but does have more seatpost exposed than I'm used to.
Can only compare this to one other FS 29er I've ridden, so can't say if better or worse than other FS 29ers.
First impression is that this bike feels fast, and travels easily over terrain that in the past I would have hesitated to pedal through - gave me a sense of confidence that I suggest most 29ers give.
Bike did not feel heavy, (have not weighed it yet) but there are many areas/upgrades that you could save weight with this bike.
The fork is Rockshox XC 32TK with lockout- does the job, no glaring issues but is the 1st upgrade I would make.
The rear shock is X-Fusion RL with rebound adjust and lockout - after trying different pressures/settings, have found it works quite good - may keep.
This model does not have the Scott Twinloc feature of the higher specced models - but I lockout front/rear individually as I see fit, and usually left the rear unlocked as I found the suspension worked quite well with no obvious pedal induced bobbing (one of my major concerns on a FS bike).
Riding uphill was a strong area for this bike in my opnion - seems a good climber..
Riding downhill was fun - was able to bomb through terrain at speed.
Rear swingarm seemed nice and stiff,(not the suspension action) largish looking suspension bushes seem like they should hold up well - time will tell.
Seemed stable under braking, suspension remaining active enough, Scott's inboard direct mount rear calipers are said to aid in this area, but probably not as good as Trek's ABS system.
Good stopping power with the Shimano hydros with 185mm front rotor.
Front end seemed okay - has tapered head tube, QR axles, but would obviously be stiffer if had either 15 or 20mm axles.
Rims are Alex and have had no problems with them - will probably keep.
Steering felt neutral - not too sensitive or slow.
Bike tracked quite well, easy to ride through technical areas.
Schwalbe Rocket Rons work well with this bike - good alround tyre.
Shimano F/R derailleurs were just okay.
Plan to change to 1 x 10 or 2 x 10, and also get SRAM 10 speed gripshift as soon as they are available, (if world XC champion Jaroslav Kulhavy can win with them they must be okay).
Minor issue is the rearward facing seatpost clamp slot on the seatube - collects crud/mud and crapola. Annoying, as regularly change seatpost height depending on the terrain and grates/grinds when moving it.
Don't know why bike manufacturers put slot facing the rear, as it is a no brainer to have it facing forward for strength purposes as most weight/forces are directed toward the top of the rear seatube.
Will post further impressions as I have any.
Cheers
:eek:range:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Minor issue is the rearward facing seatpost clamp slot on the seatube - collects crud/mud and crapola. Annoying, as regularly change seatpost height depending on the terrain and grates/grinds when moving it.
Don't know why bike manufacturers put slot facing the rear, as it is a no brainer to have it facing forward for strength purposes as most weight/forces are directed toward the top of the rear seatube.
Get a little piece of road bike tube and slip it over the seatpost and clamp. That'll keep the crud out. You won't notice it on that colour frame.

Lukespook

Likes Bikes
Get a little piece of road bike tube and slip it over the seatpost and clamp. That'll keep the crud out. You won't notice it on that colour frame.
Thanks - good idea - was going to do something like that.
Still don't understand why frame designers go to all that effort to get geometry, angles, tubing, shapes sorted but then go and throw a seatube slot on the rear where frame has a weak point and crud gets flung into it.

Rick_B

Likes Bikes
Nice Niner yabbapalooza, I like the reliable no-nonsense build.

Was wondering how a white Reba would look on a raw Niner frame....the answer is shit hot. Where did I put that credit card?

Just picked her up today and can't wait to hit the trails later on..

Its a Trek (Gary Fisher) X-cal 29er..

Everything stock as a rock..Will slowly be upgrading over the next few months.
What's the first few recommendations?

View attachment 214257
Bigkev75 if you are actually a big Kevin by stature I'd highly recommend upgrading your seat post to a thomson. Your seat post is probably a 27.2 and I'd get the 410mm long post. These are very strong posts with little to no flex. I cracked my x-cal frame a few years ago and whilst trek have a great lifetime warranty on frames it's not nice to lose your bike for a while. Or your pride and joy. Although they did upgrade my replacement frame to a paragon. Quoted $160 in store yesterday, or$90 from CRC online... But if you are big kevin by personality I'd put your name on it, I think there will be a few of these around the trails so you won't want to put it down!!!

Bigkev75 if you are actually a big Kevin by stature I'd highly recommend upgrading your seat post to a thomson. Your seat post is probably a 27.2 and I'd get the 410mm long post. These are very strong posts with little to no flex. I cracked my x-cal frame a few years ago and whilst trek have a great lifetime warranty on frames it's not nice to lose your bike for a while. Or your pride and joy. Although they did upgrade my replacement frame to a paragon. Quoted $160 in store yesterday, or$90 from CRC online... But if you are big kevin by personality I'd put your name on it, I think there will be a few of these around the trails so you won't want to put it down!!!
Thanks mate..

I will definitely look into it.
The reason I went with Trek was mainly because of their warranty and after riding it, I am so glad I went the 29er..

JBR

Likes Dirt
Kona Unit

Heres my Kona Unit

2011 Frame
2012 Fox Float 29er RLC 100mm
Hope Pro II evo's w/Stans Crest Wheelset
Answer Protaper Carbon AM Bars -720mm
Rest of the parts just bits out of the shed that I had laying around.

IMG_1010[1].jpg