Post your 29er!

findbk

Cannon Fodder
Lynskey PRO29

Here is my new build, only a few months old now and loving it.
Custom spec list as below.
Conservative build = 10.8kgs as pictured
Best bike i've ever had.
This one will be passed down to my kids.

Frame: Lynskey PRO29 Medium Industrial mill finish
Fork: Fox 29er
Head Set: Chris King
Stem: Race Face Turbine
Handlebar: Race Face carbon
Brakes: Shimano XT 180mm rotors
Gears:SRAM X-7 10sp shifter, X-9 rear mech, XT cassette
Bottom Bracket: SRAM Truative
Pedals: Crank Mallets
Wheelset: Easton XCTwo
Tires (RR/FR): Schwable Durano 700 x 28
Seat Post: SDG I-Beam
Saddle: SDG Bel-air

Once you go Ti, you don't go back.

29_side.jpg29_stem.jpg29_crank.jpg29_gears.jpg29_bars.jpg29_seat.jpg

DaveOZ

Cannon Fodder
Awesome bike. That will be my next MTB. I have a Lynskey Cooper CX which I ride to work and I love it.

Where did you buy the frame?

piker

Likes Dirt
Chi9er

Chi9er is go!

Chi Ti frame
Fox F29 15mm 100mm & CK +5mm race
CK headset
Thomson stem/post
Ragley Carnegie carbon bar (Kevlar apparently...) Ergon grips
Snakeskin Belair Ti saddle
Old XT hollowtech cranks modified (granny tabs removed), Surly 32T ring
Phil Wood Philcentric EBB
Old XT/XTR brakes that I can't live without. Straitline Lever blades
hope pro II hubs, 15mm fr/10mm rear
Stan's Arch rims
19T surly cog

Philcentric EBB

Last edited:

onyabike

Likes Bikes
Superfly 100 AL Pro

Just picked up my first 29er and cant wait to hit the trails in the morning...yeah!!!

Everything is completly stock apart from racing ralph tubless and the pedal pictured are only temporary's until XT's arrrive.

details:
Wheels:Bontrager Race Lite TLR Disc 29 wheel system, 15mm FCC front hub, 142x12mm rear hub
Tyres:Shwable, Racing Ralph
crank, Shifters, derailers, brakes: Shimano Deore XT
Pedals: temporary set from my comuter bike
Saddle: Bontrager Evoke 3 (proably swap out for my current Fizik)
Rear Shock Fox RP23
Front Fox float 29

Attachments

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Just picked up my first 29er and cant wait to hit the trails in the morning...yeah!!!

Everything is completly stock apart from racing ralph tubless and the pedal pictured are only temporary's until XT's arrrive.

details:
Wheels:Bontrager Race Lite TLR Disc 29 wheel system, 15mm FCC front hub, 142x12mm rear hub
Tyres:Shwable, Racing Ralph
crank, Shifters, derailers, brakes: Shimano Deore XT
Pedals: temporary set from my comuter bike
Saddle: Bontrager Evoke 3 (proably swap out for my current Fizik)
Rear Shock Fox RP23
Front Fox float 29

Flip that stem

Newbie MTBer

Hi Guys,

Been reading through all the post for awhile now, waiting to decide on what to get.

I'm not a hardcore rider and just wanted something that would be a good all round bike.

Went with the Scott SCALE 29 ELITE

Bike is stock even the peddles so will be doing some upgrades once I work out what is best.

Hoping to read more through the website and learn more.

2011-11-10 21.25.14.jpg

Agostino

Likes Dirt
My first go at a few things at once.

This is my first 29er & my first single speed & my first steel hardtail.

A few things to tinker with and play around with gear ratios but so far so good.

P1030694.JPG

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Been reading through all the post for awhile now, waiting to decide on what to get.

I'm not a hardcore rider and just wanted something that would be a good all round bike.

Went with the Scott SCALE 29 ELITE

Bike is stock even the peddles so will be doing some upgrades once I work out what is best.

Hoping to read more through the website and learn more.

View attachment 216355

Liking this a lot.

I'm thinking about a 29 hard tail.

Can I ask where you got it, and what the price was? (PM if you'd rather not broadcast it).

Cheers.

setonz

Likes Dirt
Anthem 29er 1 Large

XO 2x10
Marta SL Magnesium brakes
XTR pedals
Alpha Q post
K force riser bar
No tubes crest wheelsets
Carbon railed Fizik Antares

11.3 kgs ready to ride

Attachments

bikerboy85

Likes Dirt
Its just arrived, still waiting on wheels plus the weather isn't the best at the moment which is a good thing because I cant ride it hahaha sorry about the crap picture. Ill post more during the build process

Attachments

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
I commute 23x2 km each day to work, between Pascoe Vale and Richmond, VIC on either Merry Creek or Citylink / Monee Ponds bike trails, and I've found that the wet weather isn't that great for my Avanti Cadent 2.0 road bike - high wear rate if not frequently cleaned, and also the Ultegra brakes are rubbish when wet. So, for a while, I've been using my 13 year old Gary Fisher Paragon with Continental TravelContacts on those days with wet forecasts.

With a big service coming up, I started thinking about getting this replaced for something faster. CycloCross bikes have been on my mind for ages, but yesterday I finally ordered a 2012 Superfly standard/base model with Schwalbe 700x50c Marathon Dureme tyres and Topeak DeFender fenders. I figured the roadie will always be faster than a CC in dry conditions, and that an MTB will ultimately provide more control when not. When I bought the Hifi they didn't have one in stock for me to try so I was out on the 29er Paragon, and I absolutely loved how that felt.

You may say this choice is overkill or wrong for commuting, however the light, stiff 29er frame and big wheels / tyres combo and also hydraulic brakes means it could be a fast traveller with plenty of feel in the wet. Furthermore, if I can get my 2010 GF Hifi upgraded to 10-speed then I should be able to easily swap wheels to do real mountainbiking (especially for races), or otherwise a spare wheelset would serve the same purpose. Having two reasonably similar bikes also has other advantages, especially as my proper MTB trips are few and far between; I find myself getting rusty on the Hifi...

Anyways it's not quite a post your ride post as a post your ride-to-be, so sorry about that. Will rectify with pics hopefully next weekend; I'm pretty excited, even as I cringe whenever I think about how much I've spent on bikes in the past two years... Ouch. ;-) (It's still cheaper than a 2nd car.)

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
If you can afford it, I don't think the superfly is wrong or overkill for commuting. You are doing quite a few kays everyday, so why slum it?
I've had a couple of close calls with cars in recent months, but both times I was glad I was on the mtb instead of the roadie. I feel I have far more control on the mtb. So I think the fly makes sense. Are you going to the gmbc gazebo race on the 3rd?

struggles

Likes Dirt
I commute 23x2 km each day to work, between Pascoe Vale and Richmond, VIC on either Merry Creek or Citylink / Monee Ponds bike trails, and I've found that the wet weather isn't that great for my Avanti Cadent 2.0 road bike - high wear rate if not frequently cleaned, and also the Ultegra brakes are rubbish when wet. So, for a while, I've been using my 13 year old Gary Fisher Paragon with Continental TravelContacts on those days with wet forecasts.

With a big service coming up, I started thinking about getting this replaced for something faster. CycloCross bikes have been on my mind for ages, but yesterday I finally ordered a 2012 Superfly standard/base model with Schwalbe 700x50c Marathon Dureme tyres and Topeak DeFender fenders. I figured the roadie will always be faster than a CC in dry conditions, and that an MTB will ultimately provide more control when not. When I bought the Hifi they didn't have one in stock for me to try so I was out on the 29er Paragon, and I absolutely loved how that felt.

You may say this choice is overkill or wrong for commuting, however the light, stiff 29er frame and big wheels / tyres combo and also hydraulic brakes means it could be a fast traveller with plenty of feel in the wet. Furthermore, if I can get my 2010 GF Hifi upgraded to 10-speed then I should be able to easily swap wheels to do real mountainbiking (especially for races), or otherwise a spare wheelset would serve the same purpose. Having two reasonably similar bikes also has other advantages, especially as my proper MTB trips are few and far between; I find myself getting rusty on the Hifi...

Anyways it's not quite a post your ride post as a post your ride-to-be, so sorry about that. Will rectify with pics hopefully next weekend; I'm pretty excited, even as I cringe whenever I think about how much I've spent on bikes in the past two years... Ouch. ;-) (It's still cheaper than a 2nd car.)
I ordered the same bike last week. Not sure if I will use it to commute on though. I already have a CX bike I use for that. I can change the wheels between bikes as my CX bike uses a 135mm rear hub. One upgrade I did do was getting some XT icetech brakes for it.

Glen2

Likes Dirt
I just picked this up last week

Took it out today for the first time. It performed great-I need to find/learn some skills!

jim17

Likes Bikes
My New 2012 Epic Comp Carbon. I have been on 3 rides so far and its by far the best bike I have ever owned.

307729_296349047065843_248348145199267_1015097_1850342048_n.jpg380339_296349087065839_248348145199267_1015098_1601894723_n.jpg

andrewlogue

Cannon Fodder
GT Peace 9er - Singlespeed

Here's my Peace 9er. Almost everything on it has been replaced apart from the seatpost/bars/stem. It's a bombproof bike from stock but weighs way too much. The only downside after the rebuild is the frame weight but the steel is a nice ride and the geometry is spot on.

Peace9r.jpg

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice bike. How do you like the race kings? I rode the Peace before I settled on the Unit and the weight was what swayed my decision. I've got a similar build to yours.

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
Trek Superfly 2012 21" w Schwalbe Duremes and fenders

Thanks for the comments PistonBroke, yep I think it'll be great for all those hours spent on the bike. Struggles, I hope you'll enjoy yours!

My Superfly was fitted today at My Mountain, a few days ahead of schedule. I will have my first ride tomorrow morning to work; so far I've just taken it up and down the street a few times and it feels superb. It weighs in at 12.210 kg on proper bike scales as pictured without the bell and the reflector; this is the 21" size, heavy wheels, fenders effect I guess. The bike is huge! So I think I'll be glad I paid extra for the carbon version.

I didn't take to the colour scheme so much when I saw Trek's one and only photo, but seeing it in the flesh it's definitely growing on me. It's a subtle effect, and also the frame feels kind of rounded and not so much screaming for attention. This is purely my opinion, of course.

I suppose no-one uses an analogue modem any more (and if they do, this is the wrong place to be), so here we go - my first few pictures! :)

IMG_20111130_161642.jpgIMG_20111130_162641.jpgIMG_20111130_182148.jpgIMG_20111130_182309.jpgIMG_20111130_182335.jpgIMG_20111130_182340.jpgIMG_20111130_182346.jpgIMG_20111130_182422.jpg

andrewlogue

Cannon Fodder
Race Kings

Nice bike. How do you like the race kings? I rode the Peace before I settled on the Unit and the weight was what swayed my decision. I've got a similar build to yours.
I like the Race Kings but they're pretty ropey in the mud. I bought them for racing the drit crits down at Westgate and they're great for that. Pretty fast rolling. I'll be trying Ralphs next as I've heard some good reports about the new tread pattern.

I've seen the Unit around and it looks like a great frame. It wouldn't surprise me if the Peace was heavier!